Last post by Terran
Today 03:30 PM
3 Replies, 197 Views

Old 12-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Rockstar Begins Selling Red Dead Online Gold for real Cash

Quote:
Red Dead Online’s economy is based on two currencies: cash and gold bars. At launch, it was only possible to get these currencies by playing the game but gold also became available today as a premium currency purchasable with real money. You can just plop down $9.99 for 25 bars instead of earning them in-game, though you may not feel the urge to spend them.

At launch a wide variety of things could be purchased for gold, including outfits, horses, a fishing rod and horse insurance, the last of which allowed your horse to respawn instantly after it was killed rather than make players wait to recover their injured horse at a nearby stable. After some tweaks over the past week, horse insurance and fishing rods are only purchasable with virtual cash earned from gameplay, while a range of other items are still listed with gold prices.

Rockstar is offering gold in a variety of bundles, starting with a one-time offer for 25 gold for $4.99. If you’re some type of wild-person, you could splurge $99.99 for 350 bars.
I know we all saw this coming, but it still hurts. Buying in-game money for real money always feels like they are taking the "game" out of the game.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
blackzc
Evil Dead

So yucky.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Shark Cards in GTA, as if no one knew this was going to happen anyway.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
LilAbner
Evil Dead

If enough people are buying them, why wouldn't R* do this?

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Nerevarine
Death Knight

One more proof that buying AAA games has become trivial. Glad I didn't purchase this one.
Nerevarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Why isn't this illegal, at least in the U.S.? Can you not take the in-game money into card games? Is it only legal because Rockstar cashes out instead of the player?
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
MavenACTG
Reaper

Did you know that Take-Two Interactive's stock price has gone up 10x in the last five years?

Mining gamers for profits to turn over to investors. Talk about wealth transfers. Capitalism at its apex.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
One more proof that buying AAA games has become trivial. Glad I didn't purchase this one.
And you're missing out on a really fun game for microtransactions that you aren't ever forced to pay for to progress. Take Two is not EA. In fact of the big publishers out there, Take Two is likely the least vulture like of all of them.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Trying to care. Not succeeding.

Why the HELL would I care about someone offering a product or service I don't want to buy and/or may not like? The world is a big place. It's filled with products and services I don't want to buy. Typically, if I encounter them, I...don't buy them.

NEXT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Trying to care. Not succeeding.

Why the HELL would I care about someone offering a product or service I don't want to buy and/or may not like? The world is a big place. It's filled with products and services I don't want to buy. Typically, if I encounter them, I...don't buy them.

NEXT!
Ya know Terran you crack me up sometimes, don't you often proclaim how awesome mobile gaming is? Aren't those generally full of MT's out the ass?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

You know what else mobile gaming is full of? Goods and services I don't have to buy!

Restaurants serve tons of foods I don't like, too! I skip what I don't like!
Movies I don't like are showing all the time at the theater. I don't go to them!
Overpriced concessions and candies are sold at movies I attend. I refuse to buy them!

You live in the biggest buffet in all of human history. Eat what you want, skip what you don't, and quitcherbitchin! Buncha candy-ass first-world-problemers!
Quote:
Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You know what else mobile gaming is full of? Goods and services I don't have to buy!

Movies I don't like are showing all the time at the theater. I don't go to them!
Overpriced concessions and candies are sold at movies I attend. I refuse to buy them!

You live in the biggest buffet in all of human history. Eat what you want, skip what you don't, and quitcherbitchin! Buncha candy-ass first-world-problemers!
Naw I hear ya totally but eh, in a case like this where you aren't forced to even touch MT's to progress or have fun, I don't really see what the big fuss is about.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Arionuq
Death Knight

Quote:

Yeah...you sound an awful lot like a corporate shill.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #14
TheMadHatter
Knight

Terran, you are a true terran. Respect.
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionuq View Post
Yeah...you sound an awful lot like a corporate shill.
You sound like a communist, or maybe just someone who likes to tell other people what they can and cannot think, do, buy, eat, play, watch, etc..
Quote:
Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #16
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Yeah, i honestly think the notion of a AAA game is dead.

Visuals have leveled off. These games use 5 year old + game engines and they STILL E-beg. Its amazing..

New game releases mean nothing to me at this point. Nintendo stuff can sometimes get me going but they are making games on a shoestring budget as well.

But as for nintendo...

I recently sold 3 Switch games on Ebay...I lost $35 between all 3 of them from buying them new...Mario Oddy, BOTW, Splatoon 2. Not bad at all.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:25 AM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

You don't think the constant onslaught of dishonest ads, clickbait, and propoganda has a negative effect on making our society a low trust one?

I can sort through it because i make the time to do it, and my real life suffers because of it. But yeah, at this point i want dis honest advertisers and fucks of the like murdered in the middle of the night, in a 40 degree rain soaked empty street.

These fucks know what they are doing....Die. Its for the better.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Yeah, i honestly think the notion of a AAA game is dead.

Visuals have leveled off. These games use 5 year old + game engines and they STILL E-beg. Its amazing..

New game releases mean nothing to me at this point. Nintendo stuff can sometimes get me going but they are making games on a shoestring budget as well.

But as for nintendo...

I recently sold 3 Switch games on Ebay...I lost $35 between all 3 of them from buying them new...Mario Oddy, BOTW, Splatoon 2. Not bad at all.
5 year old engine or not and really it's older because it's a heavily modified Rage engine (GTA 4) the lighting in RDR2 is pretty fucking amazeballs for a console title. Engines get updated all the time with new tech, just look at Unreal for a perfect example. Either you've become so jaded that you aren't impressed by anything or you've been playing too many shitty Nintendo games lately.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
You don't think the constant onslaught of dishonest ads, clickbait, and propoganda has a negative effect on making our society a low trust one?
The Internet is what makes it almost impossible for folks to hide their heads in the sand on the rotten, stinking, fetid swamp that is humanity. There's your 'negative effect' on society, though most would also agree that we may as well see reality for what it is. Priests raping kids. Hollywood raping kids. Why not a corporate merger at this point?

I just don't care if they decide to sell something in the game. Unless it directly impinges upon your interaction with the game itself, why care at all about it? I'll give you an example of one I do care about; I have a mobile game I enjoy. I spent $2.99 on in-game content. Recently for the first time, at launch the game will shove an ad for their new game at me, and when I attempt to exit out of it, the game must relaunch. That is annoying as hell.

So...somebody could buy in-game currency with real-world money. BFD. So what. Skip that yourself. Now if they had artificially raised in-game item costs to force folks to buy currency (I believe SW:BF may have done that initially?), I'd be pissed too. This looks nothing like that.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #20
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I saw this coming, avoiding the online game. The single player is an OK experience, who knew the wild west had so few guns? Oh yeah you have to buy them with gold bars!

Tags
red dead redemption 2