Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by TheHulk
Today 07:13 PM
3 Replies, 279 Views
The King's Man Teaser...
Last post by Kreigmstr
Today 03:44 PM
11 Replies, 669 Views
Spider-Man Swings into...
Last post by LostToys
Today 11:04 AM
6 Replies, 515 Views
Borderlands 3 So Happy...
Last post by BenSkywlkr
Today 08:12 AM
11 Replies, 584 Views
First look at Roach in...
Last post by shadow763
Today 05:36 AM
4 Replies, 556 Views
Gears 5 Versus...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 05:43 PM
1 Replies, 302 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 05:59 AM
17 Replies, 832 Views
Nintendo Announces the...
Last post by LostToys
07-15-2019 07:15 PM
45 Replies, 2,022 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral
 
BeardedSonOfNel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN/WI
Posts: 5,703
Blog Entries: 8
EA Says Loot-Boxes Are Quite Ethical


Via One Angry Gamer
Quote:
When there’s money to be made off of something lucrative, you best bet the defenses and excuses will be high when under scrutiny, and there’s no difference here when EA’s VP of legal and government affairs, Kerry Hopkins, was questioned by the UK Parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee in an oral evidence session regarding the legitimacy and fairness of loot-boxes.

In a new write up that PCGamesN published (archive.is), Hopkins, EA’s VP of legal and government affairs, implores that the company’s loot-boxes aren’t randomized but “surprise mechanics.”

During the oral evidence session pertaining to the UK Parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee, the website relays Hopkins comparing loot-boxes to “surprise toys” like “Kinder Eggs, or Hatchimals, or LOL Surprise.”
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Grumsh
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,682
While inside most of us died a little inside reading that, you can bet when some dumb ass buys her rhetoric, she will get a nice bonus...
__________________
Clarkes 1st law

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,723
Surprise! You got fleeced! I still like EA's NHL title but my God do they really make it easy to hate them as a publisher.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead
 
thatlukeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 260
LOL Surprise

Edit: I don't bear any ill will towards that lady. In fact more power to her. She's doing what she was hired to do. The impetus is on us as consumers to stop buying their casino products. This is what will make them change, they will always go where the money is. Nature of the beast.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 AM   #5
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 575
Part of me wants to says it's a free market and it's ok to fleece stupid people. However this shit is pushing genuine gambling at children and that is wrong. Yes the parents can and should stop their kids doing but it's still morally wrong to be dangling this shit in kids faces.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #6
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 585
Really? Absolute idiots, EA ruins everything.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
In a new write up that PCGamesN published (archive.is), Hopkins, EA’s VP of legal and government affairs, implores that the company’s loot-boxes aren’t randomized but “surprise mechanics.”
This is an odd stance to take, because not having them randomized (which they clearly are) makes them worse.

Quote:
During the oral evidence session pertaining to the UK Parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee, the website relays Hopkins comparing loot-boxes to “surprise toys” like “Kinder Eggs, or Hatchimals, or LOL Surprise.”
All of the examples she gave are example of gambling because you don't know what the outcome will be. Sure, you'll always get a toy...but will it be the extremely common one, or the rare shortpacked one?

"Surprise mechanics" is just a nicer way of saying "gambling".
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
BadIronTree
Subscriber
 
BadIronTree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 631
In Kinder Eggs THE PRODUCT IS Chocolate not the toy... What a tool... She we be CEO one day
__________________
Join Star Citizen and get 5,000 UEC Free
http://robertsspaceindustries.com/en...STAR-K6CZ-XQPD
BadIronTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Exodus
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winter is coming.
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This is an odd stance to take, because not having them randomized (which they clearly are) makes them worse.



All of the examples she gave are example of gambling because you don't know what the outcome will be. Sure, you'll always get a toy...but will it be the extremely common one, or the rare shortpacked one?

"Surprise mechanics" is just a nicer way of saying "gambling".
How do you explain pokemon card packs then.
I'm totally against it but honestly this is a conversation we need to have of where the line is because card packs are 'gambling' in the same vein and the more you invest the higher chance you get something decent that will make your deck OP. So what is wrong with that in video games?

Again, playing devils advocate but in all seriousness I make your same argument that it's wrong but it is just hard to say why other than the fact that it preys on children who don't know better but so do pokemon cards.
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
How do you explain pokemon card packs then.
I'm totally against it but honestly this is a conversation we need to have of where the line is because card packs are 'gambling' in the same vein and the more you invest the higher chance you get something decent that will make your deck OP. So what is wrong with that in video games?

Again, playing devils advocate but in all seriousness I make your same argument that it's wrong but it is just hard to say why other than the fact that it preys on children who don't know better but so do pokemon cards.
I'd classify booster packs and blind boxes in the same category; it's all essentially gambling.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
In Kinder Eggs THE PRODUCT IS Chocolate not the toy... What a tool... She we be CEO one day
Well you could say the same thing about their games. The game is the chocolate and the toy is the loot box. You are getting a fun little surprise every once and a while because you are enjoying the game.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
PacerDawn
Choadwanger
 
PacerDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,130
I can't believe I am defending EA here...

Randomized loot boxes are not ethical only if the publisher does not advertise that they are random. As much as I hate them, I have yet to see EA do this though. Look at EA titles. They clearly state that loot boxes are anything but randomized... I'm sorry, "surprise mechanic-ed" whatever that bullshit means.

Does it suck? Yes, it does. EA sucks in general. So if you don't like it, then what is the solution?

DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME.

Seriously, how hard is that? Apparently, very hard because is seems like a lot of people would prefer to buy the game and then cry about it like pussies.

To those people I say: Grow a backbone. I'm not even kidding.
__________________
Why isn't the word "gullible" in the dictionary?
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #13
BadIronTree
Subscriber
 
BadIronTree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 631
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJlWr5Ss0Cw

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyU...&feature=share
__________________
Join Star Citizen and get 5,000 UEC Free
http://robertsspaceindustries.com/en...STAR-K6CZ-XQPD
BadIronTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
walstib
Evil Dead
 
walstib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
I can't believe I am defending EA here...

Randomized loot boxes are not ethical only if the publisher does not advertise that they are random. As much as I hate them, I have yet to see EA do this though. Look at EA titles. They clearly state that loot boxes are anything but randomized... I'm sorry, "surprise mechanic-ed" whatever that bullshit means.

Does it suck? Yes, it does. EA sucks in general. So if you don't like it, then what is the solution?

DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME.

Seriously, how hard is that? Apparently, very hard because is seems like a lot of people would prefer to buy the game and then cry about it like pussies.

To those people I say: Grow a backbone. I'm not even kidding.
Agreed.

EA should continue to do what they are doing because the data supports their decisions. Whiners be damned (note: I disagree with what they do and I go without!)

Crack is a hell of a drug...
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
I can't believe I am defending EA here...

Randomized loot boxes are not ethical only if the publisher does not advertise that they are random. As much as I hate them, I have yet to see EA do this though. Look at EA titles. They clearly state that loot boxes are anything but randomized... I'm sorry, "surprise mechanic-ed" whatever that bullshit means.
Their loot box systems are built on systems of chance. While they may not be truly random, there are absolutely statistical probabilities behind getting certain items. Random or not, they're still shady and exploitative (although I would actually call Blizzard a worse offender on this front, because they intentionally designed Overwatch's loot boxes to look and feel like opening a Christmas present).

Quote:
DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME.
Well, that's the thing: I don't. Loot boxes are a shitty practice and I'd love to see them go away. That's one of the reasons why I don't buy games with them.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 AM   #16
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral
 
BeardedSonOfNel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN/WI
Posts: 5,703
Blog Entries: 8
I haven't bought anything from EA sense the last Mass Effect. Hell I don't buy most modern games anymore because they don't give you the whole game. That and everything is a god damned sequel.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 34,828
Blog Entries: 20
I still buy lots of games, but I have pretty much given up on DLC of any kind. There was a point when I wanted all the DLC to have the “whole” game, but now I just play whatever comes in the box and then I move on to the next title.

If they do more single player content for Red Dead Redemption 2, I would buy that, but so far the multiplayer hasn’t been interesting enough to spend any time playing it. It’s the same as the free-roam on the single player, only some jackass shows up every few minutes and kills you. Yea, that’s fun. NOT.

I’m going to try to snag a couple of Platinum trophies since I don’t have any. I think I’m going to try to get one for Spider-Man, God of War and Day’s Gone then probably go back and get one for Season 1 of The Walking Dead since you get the Platinum just for playing though it the first time.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e.a., loot boxes

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32 PM.