Yesterday 04:29 PM
3 Replies, 346 Views

Old 02-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Outriders Adds PS5 and Xbox Series X Versions, Delayed to holiday 2020

Quote:
Outriders Reveal Livestream Set for Thursday, February 13th

Square Enix, creators of the iconic Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider franchises, today announced the Outriders Reveal Stream and unveiled its debut gameplay trailer.

From People Can Fly, the developers of Gears of War: Judgment and Bulletstorm, and Square Enix External Studios, the minds behind Sleeping Dogs and Just Cause, Outriders is a co-op RPG shooter for a new generation.

Outriders is an RPG shooter set in an original, dark and desperate sci-fi universe. As mankind bleeds out in the trenches of Enoch, you’ll create your own Outrider and embark on a journey across a hostile planet. With rich storytelling spanning a diverse world, you’ll leave behind the slums and shanty towns of the First City and traverse forests, mountains and deserts in pursuit of a mysterious signal. Combining intense gunplay with violent powers, along with an arsenal of increasingly twisted weaponry and gear-sets, Outriders offers countless hours of gameplay from one of the finest shooter studios in the industry.

The Outriders Reveal Stream will feature Game Director, Bartek Kmita; Lead Writer, Joshua Rubin; and host, Malik Forte and is set to debut Thursday, February 13th at 12:00pm Pacific Time. Watch the Outriders Reveal Stream at twitch.tv/squareenix.

“It’s incredibly exciting to finally reveal what we have been working on for the last four years,” said Bartek Kmita, Game Director at People Can Fly. “Outriders is our first game since leaving Epic Games, and has grown from an idea of the game we always wanted to make, to the most ambitious project People Can Fly has ever undertaken."

Outriders will release on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and PC in Holiday 2020. Outriders will also release on PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One family of devices.
Looks like some kind of generic Destiny clone. Pass.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Gears of Destiny! Looks fine. I prefer the chick not look like the kid from that last Jedi game though.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Gears of Destiny! Looks fine. I prefer the chick not look like the kid from that last Jedi game though.

I think Gears of Destiny is an apt description. Can't be as bad as Anthem turned out. God that hub system is total shit.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Big article on the Square Enix Blog about this one. I stand by my original statement... generic Destiny clone is still generic.

You would think with all the artists out there in the world, why is it that so many games end up with characters that look so darn generic?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
You would think with all the artists out there in the world, why is it that so many games end up with characters that look so darn generic?
Because there are very few good art directors. I thought there were a few things that looked OK in this but it was lacking almost all identity.

On the other hand, remember this is the People Can Fly who made Gear of War Judgment so my expectations are pretty low.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Big article on the Square Enix Blog about this one. I stand by my original statement... generic Destiny clone is still generic.

I dunno reading that blog you linked the game sounds far better than Destiny ever dreamed of being from a gameplay perspective, but hey I'm sure it's just a "generic Destiny clone" even tho Destiny wasn't a great game to begin with.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I dunno reading that blog you linked the game sounds far better than Destiny ever dreamed of being from a gameplay perspective, but hey I'm sure it's just a "generic Destiny clone" even tho Destiny wasn't a great game to begin with.
The gameplay looked decent enough, it looked like Gears of Destiny which is a great place to start from, but I don't think I could ever get past the generic looking art.

Destiny 1 looked amazing. The character art, weapons, enemies, levels and armor sets were all fantastic. Destiny 2 is pretty bad. Lots of recycled enemies and really bland or just outright terrible armor sets. I played Destiny like every day for a year, I barely touched Destiny 2. I played through the single player stuff one time then forgot about it.

Unless they do some massive improvement on the art, this one will bomb. Almost all the comments on the videos say the same thing as I did... that it just looks generic.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
The gameplay looked decent enough, it looked like Gears of Destiny which is a great place to start from, but I don't think I could ever get past the generic looking art.

Destiny 1 looked amazing. The character art, weapons, enemies, levels and armor sets were all fantastic. Destiny 2 is pretty bad. Lots of recycled enemies and really bland or just outright terrible armor sets. I played Destiny like every day for a year, I barely touched Destiny 2. I played through the single player stuff one time then forgot about it.

Unless they do some massive improvement on the art, this one will bomb. Almost all the comments on the videos say the same thing as I did... that it just looks generic.
Good point. The visuals are nice and the gameplay and world look like they have potential. But you're right, the art is very generic. Destiny does have a sort of "realistic but still fantastic" vibe going on that I think really works well. The art style of this game seems like it came out of a focus group for how to try and please everyone.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

I don't get the looks generic vibe, is that because it looks realistic and gritty and not overly saturated and ridiculously bright like 95% of every game released now? Eh I don't mind realistic looking visuals though so it very well could be just me.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
I don't get the looks generic vibe, is that because it looks realistic and gritty and not overly saturated and ridiculously bright like 95% of every game released now? Eh I don't mind realistic looking visuals though so it very well could be just me.
Gritty is fine. But it lacks personality and I don't mean looking fake. You can do realistic and still have personality. Like I said at first, the game looks fine. It just doesn't look great.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Gritty is fine. But it lacks personality and I don't mean looking fake. You can do realistic and still have personality. Like I said at first, the game looks fine. It just doesn't look great.
I think that's fair. I think I don't mind the visuals really because it's not overly saturated and cartoony looking, I'm so tired of that cel shaded/cartoony aesthetic that seems to be most of everything now. I really dislike it beyond words.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
I think that's fair. I think I don't mind the visuals really because it's not overly saturated and cartoony looking, I'm so tired of that cel shaded/cartoony aesthetic that seems to be most of everything now. I really dislike it beyond words.
I don't mind the visuals either. I just don't actively like them. And I think the cartoony look is big in some games because it's wide reaching in terms of the audience appeal and often in terms of the hardware it runs on. It's not for everyone but it's often a very safe bet.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
RAV
Evil Dead

Haha, I must admit I've been relying on it myself as well for some time, because it's easy to work with and flashy. You can impress people by burning out their eye sockets.

There is more than one way of looking generic, and a lot of the gritty realism trends in 3d unfortunately were as well, so some years back I found it refreshing trying out some more bright cartoony pixely stuff as 3d.

By now I would like to try out something more down to earth and detailed while still being stylish and imaginative, but researching that would need a seriously dedicated artist studied in classic fine arts. Which a big company should have. But their art direction goes with trends and marketing.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #15
RAV
Evil Dead

Ah yeah, there was another reason in favor of the stylized graphics: especially 3d realism ages so much worse. so. much. worse. I think we are at a point, for the first time, that it might not age that bad anymore as it used to, but it probably still ages a lot worse no matter what. Like, of all the old 3d games, Warcraft3 probably needed the least a remaster. To avoid the aging, I believe it doesn't necessarily have to be bright and cartoony as style. But the more painterly it looks, the more timeless will it be. So my reason back then was to make the 3d look more 2d painterly, and specifically more pixel arty. You can also get away with looking decent on lower hardware requirements, which is also a challenge with realism.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Gears of War isn't what I would call cartoony, or Unreal Tournament 3 and both look better than this game.

As someone said above, what they need is a great art director and some amazing concept artists to draw inspiration from.

What I find shocking is that with all the artists out there in the world to draw on (go check out DeviantArt) that companies still produce games which look generic as all heck. This title and that Avengers title are both good examples of how game art should not look.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 AM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Gears of War isn't what I would call cartoony, or Unreal Tournament 3 and both look better than this game.

As someone said above, what they need is a great art director and some amazing concept artists to draw inspiration from.

What I find shocking is that with all the artists out there in the world to draw on (go check out DeviantArt) that companies still produce games which look generic as all heck. This title and that Avengers title are both good examples of how game art should not look.
I wouldn't say Gears or UT3 look all that much different, I guess that's where you get the "generic" tag from. That being said I'm likely in the minority these days on this but I'll take gritty and realistic looking over stylized overly cartoony visuals any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:

Well DeviantArt isn't a good example of anything I'd say except, for the most part, concept art. We also don't know what the time frames are on those images. Most concept artists in a game team have to chew out fully formed concepts of entire levels including enemies, puzzles, and so on in just weeks sometimes.

When I started the first, second, and third thing you had to have to be an artist in this industry were, talent, talent, and talent.

Now a lot of hiring is done based on knowing tools, rather than talent. People graduate from "Game development" courses like Full Sail, or some "Art Institute of" whatever and what they are most often taught is how to operate the TOOLS not how to be creative.

The game industry brought in some 150 billion dollars in 2018 but they still pay as if they brought in 1 billion so there are a ton of Associate 3D Character Artist 3, 2, 1. Associate Lighting Artist 3, 2, 1. Associate Environment Artist 3, 2, 1. For those titles and the low pay with those titles, especially in high cost of living areas like Southern California, San Fran, Austin, or Seattle, and so on you aren't exactly recruiting 5 or 10 year vets with massive experience and deep portfolios.

They get a job because they know the current versions of Zbrush, Maya, Max, Photoshop, or rigging tools, or how to create lighting scenarios in UE4 or whatever and their growth is then stunted because their Art Director is some Old Fogey who has no idea how to teach how to be creative.

The beleaguered AD has been stuck in a cycle of worrying about shipping games or some aggressive live service, or managing outsourcing and creating style guides simple enough for some 250 person team in Shanghai to follow and generate 3000 assets from for god knows how long. They have lost touch with art and can't pass their knowledge down. They have time to bark orders and review assets. Often when they ask for changes they don't even explain to the person why the change will make something better; no time!

Or they've been using a proprietary engine in their studio for 20 years and they rose up because he knows all the bailing wire and chewing gum patches they've added to that engine to cobble the games together and that's what the AD spends their time doing instead of teaching actual creative shit to the kids. And fuck him if the studio isn't switching to UE4 or Unity and gatdamn if one of these whippersnappers shows him up and he ends up out of a job after all these years of service! He's too old to find work in this day and age. Time and tools have passed him by! And when is he supposed to find the time to learn UE4 after all these years of using Torque on top of his day job?

The games with the best art are the ones where the AD isn't stuck in meetings all day. They get in and create with those tools. They hire people who aren't just tools monkeys. They teach and don't bark. They have teams dedicated to managing outsourcing art so the main AD isn't saturated with additional demands. They work with the production team to pushback on schedules with full transparency instead of just grossly inflating everything to the point they lose the trust of production and management. They carve out time to make sure their people are getting better, not just generating assets. They fight with management to make sure they're not bottom heavy with Associate [whatever] Artist 3, 2, 1.

Good ADs are hard to find.

I can almost promise the ADs at the best studios are well enmeshed in creation process.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #19
RAV
Evil Dead

Oh yeah, man, you're hitting on so many great things.

An artist needs to be studied in the classic fundamentals of art. Which means he basically learned like people did a couple centuries ago. he knows how to sit down with just a pen and paper, and draw, to learn anatomy, perspective, light, gesture, colour, these kind of things. Such a person you can give a simple stick and sand to draw in, and he'll do the most amazing art you've ever seen. Because if you want to become good, it's about the fundamentals, not trends. Similar, the artist wants to learn from life studies first, not just styles, nor just tools. Those are secondary. You learn more about art from studying ancient greek than Anime. And the best Anime artists have in fact a classic fine arts education, and might as well draw like Picasso or whatever, and you see it in their quality being leaps and bounds above the rest.

This is true for other subjects as well. If you want to become a good programmer, you don't "study c++ and Java". You study algorithms, search and sort, data structures, linear algebra, basic concepts behind programmable machines. This is your actual bread and butter. All this knowledge is platform agnostic. It's really not about knowing all the knick nacks of a specific language. Those are useful too, but languages die, fundamentals don't. As is with most subjects, most of the computer science knowledge has been invented decades and centuries ago. All those cutting edge engines are really based on algorithms from 50 years ago. Very little useful knowledge is new. It's mostly just little new drops on top of a huge mountain of knowledge. And that's what you are creative with in use. Infinitely creative.

Similar for music or writing, or pretty much anything. Game design as well. You gotta understand the fundamental principles first, not engines.

Yeah, a lot of creatives now seem too reliant on their powerful tools doing art for them. It's a problem because I need a 3d artist who actually understands art, not just Blender. That means a person that can actually be creative, not let a stupid program be creative instead, with bland results. If your 3d artist can't use pencil and paper... that's the sign of a big problem. At the beginning of computer graphics, there were no cg artists. It was all just classic artists that needed to be trained for these new fangled computers and programs. It wasn't really intuitive for them, but they did it for the money. So they became pixel artists, since that was what computers could deal with at the time. After a while they started to appreciate certain aspects of creativity with it.

My particular problem is that I basically need someone like that again. An artist very strong in the fundamentals of art, who's also curious to learn a new tool that's not industry standard, to translate his art skills into new territory. There will also be new aspects of creativity to learn, but if that person doesn't understand light and shadow without setting a parameter in a renderer, it's no use. An artist can make unique decisions that no renderer and shader can do. That's the difference. That's what I'm interested in.

Tags
outriders