Anenome
Autarchist

"Hot-topic Joker" lol.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #42
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Superman sure does look a lot more white with the new color scheme. Mmm. To offensive i guess.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #43
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I just want Ledger's Joker back

Unfortunately you're right that they have to go in a different direction with this one, I just can't imagine it in any way ever being on par or better.
In hindsight, this sentiment is hilarious: Virtually everyone hated the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Just like before, we only had one picture to go off of...and everyone made snap judgements, declaring the entire project DOA a year in advance.

Christopher Nolan is still involved in these casting decisions. Perhaps he knows more than we do?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #44
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
In hindsight, this sentiment is hilarious: Virtually everyone hated the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Just like before, we only had one picture to go off of...and everyone made snap judgements, declaring the entire project DOA a year in advance.

Christopher Nolan is still involved in these casting decisions. Perhaps he knows more than we do?
Maybe this is biased hindsight, but I didn't hate Ledger's Joker. I remember reading about Nolan saying Ledger had come up with this idea for how to play the part that seemed to him insane, and we got the "why so serious" poster iirc, and I was relatively stoic about it either way. But having seen it, it was perfect. Even if Leto's Joker isn't up to par, what choice does Nolan have. And where does this notion come from that Leto is some great actor, what can people rattle off that he's done that's impressive?

*checks*

Oh shit he was the Requiem for a Dream lead. Almost nothing else do I recognize him in from his IMDB profile.

I will say however, fuck Ben Affleck as batman, that ruins the whole damn movie already. The only possible worse casting of batman from my perspective would be James goddamn Franco--I'd definitely skip the movie then. As things stand it's already on the edge, and put me down as hating the Affleck casting permanently. He's got a maaaajor bar to jump to come anywhere near past batmans, and I can't imagine him pulling it off. In no way shape or form should a pretty boy with no edge be cast as batman, ever.

To be fair, I don't think most people disliked Heath so much as he still had the aroma of controversy around him due to Brokeback Mountain, which means the past reflections on his abilities might be due to just some reactionaries more than anything.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #45
Anenome
Autarchist

Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #46
Syl
Evil Dead

I can't imagine The Joker having any tattoos. I don't think he'd have the patience to sit still long enough for someone to actually draw on him. I can imagine half a tattoo and then a dead tattoo artist being the end of that attempt.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #47
PSPfreak
Banned

Um... I don't think anyone's doubting Leto, just disliking the appearance. Leto is a fine actor and I nodded my head in approval when I heard he was cast.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #48
BillyWilliamton
Lord

BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #49
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

I find it hilarious everyone takes this so seriously.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #50
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

It is more like point and laugh rather than outrage. Western comics are so shit these days, might as well read mahhwa. (Korean shit)

Tower of God.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #51
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
And where does this notion come from that Leto is some great actor, what can people rattle off that he's done that's impressive?

*checks*

Oh shit he was the Requiem for a Dream lead. Almost nothing else do I recognize him in from his IMDB profile.
Might want to check some small-time movie called Dallas Buyers Club.

I hear it won a couple awards.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #52
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Might want to check some small-time movie called Dallas Buyers Club.

I hear it won a couple awards.
He played a tranny! AMAZING!!!!! Give him all the money and fame in the world! The guy is vastly overrated and has been in a lot of mediocre crap. He is just the latest trend among ignorant young adult target audiences that executives can cash in on. What's next is he going to play a retard? Nah, he will star in the Bruce Jenner biopic about getting his dick cut off.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #53
Anenome
Autarchist

Leto's been in half the recognizable roles or less compared to Leonardo DiCaprio, yet has won an oscar for Dallas Buyers Club. Hmm.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #54
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
What's next is he going to play a retard?
That would be Ricky Gervais on Netflix in Derek.

Actually a decent show. Kinda enjoy that one. Need to get back to it.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #55
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
He played a tranny! AMAZING!!!!! Give him all the money and fame in the world! The guy is vastly overrated and has been in a lot of mediocre crap. He is just the latest trend among ignorant young adult target audiences that executives can cash in on. What's next is he going to play a retard? Nah, he will star in the Bruce Jenner biopic about getting his dick cut off.
Yeah.

Or maybe he played a transsexual really well...

There's some real maturity in this thread here.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #56
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Leto's been in half the recognizable roles or less compared to Leonardo DiCaprio, yet has won an oscar for Dallas Buyers Club. Hmm.
And?

Should we dump all over Matthew McConaughey while we're here too because DiCaprio keeps getting screwed by the Academy Awards?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #57
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
And?

Should we dump all over Matthew McConaughey while we're here too because DiCaprio keeps getting screwed by the Academy Awards?
He pissed off the wrong people at some point. That's about the only reason I can think of that people with half his career keep winning the awards and he keeps getting passed over.

He is starring in a remake of Man in the Wilderness called The Revenant which I've heard has amazing acting and filmmaking, but he has zero chance of winning an Oscar because it got bumped until January 6th. By the time the Oscar nominations come out, no one will remember The Revenant.

I'm gonna love it, it's almost a western.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #58
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

I think we all like the casting choice, it's the costume we hate. I didn't have any problems with Leto as The Joker, seems like a decent choice, but that whole Russian Mob guy-meets-Goth Rocker look isn't working for me.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #59
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
He pissed off the wrong people at some point. That's about the only reason I can think of that people with half his career keep winning the awards and he keeps getting passed over.

He is starring in a remake of Man in the Wilderness called The Revenant which I've heard has amazing acting and filmmaking, but he has zero chance of winning an Oscar because it got bumped until January 6th. By the time the Oscar nominations come out, no one will remember The Revenant.

I'm gonna love it, it's almost a western.
It's Paul Newmanitis. Brad Pitt suffers the same curse. They're good-looking chaps and people don't take them seriously because of that. They'll get one when they're older, like Newman. Hopefully.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #60
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I will say however, fuck Ben Affleck as batman, that ruins the whole damn movie already. The only possible worse casting of batman from my perspective would be James goddamn Franco--I'd definitely skip the movie then. As things stand it's already on the edge, and put me down as hating the Affleck casting permanently. He's got a maaaajor bar to jump to come anywhere near past batmans, and I can't imagine him pulling it off. In no way shape or form should a pretty boy with no edge be cast as batman, ever.

To be fair, I don't think most people disliked Heath so much as he still had the aroma of controversy around him due to Brokeback Mountain, which means the past reflections on his abilities might be due to just some reactionaries more than anything.
I actually think Affleck is a great casting choice. He's the first one cast who actually looks the part in terms of build and height. Plus, Bruce Wayne has always been portrayed as a pretty boy. It's the suit and demeanor that gives Batman his "edge". Plus, if you combine his last couple roles...you've pretty much got Batman. I think he'll do just fine.

People hated Heath Ledger, plain and simple. Virtually everyone hated the selection for various reasons(and not just because of Brokeback). I'm betting that most who claim to have liked(or at least felt neutral) about the casting job are either flat-out lying or simply have a bad memory that's being influenced by hindsight. I know I voiced a certain amount of disdain for the casting and I was admittedly eating crow along with everyone else.

I'm not too worried about this one particular promotional shot. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tattoos either aren't shown or simply don't make it to the final version of the costume. This is, after all, just one promotional picture.

Tags
jared leto, joker, suicide squad