8 Replies, 746 Views
Steven Spielberg to make...
Last post by Cranium
Today 05:41 AM
11 Replies, 1,045 Views

Old 03-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Fantasy Action RPG Decay of Logos Coming to PS4, Xbox One, Switch & PC this Fall

Quote:
Rising Star Games and Amplify Creations Enter Into Publishing Partnership to Unleash Fantasy RPG Decay of Logos in Autumn 2018

Videogame publisher Rising Star Games today announced it has entered into a partnership with Portugal-based developer Amplify Creations, to publish the third-person fantasy action-RPG Decay of Logos on digital storefronts across all major gaming formats in autumn 2018.

Decay of Logos is an immersive action role-playing game inspired by the developer’s love and passion for European folklore, high fantasy fiction and archetypal classic third-person action-RPG videogames. The game hails from the imagination of lead game designer and programmer André Constantino and is developed by award-winning independent software organization Amplify Creations.

The game sees players exploring a vast interconnected world, packed with secret locations and items to discover. Adventurers will engage in deadly and punishing combat with other-worldly enemy constructs, and discover a world filled with arcane lore as they unravel the intricacies of the game’s various weapon, armour, inventory and level-up systems and mechanics.

“After many years developing middleware used by thousands of other game developers, our good fortune has allowed us to indulge in a passion project to make the kind of game that excites us as players”, said Diogo Teixeira, producer at Amplify Creations. “Working alongside Rising Star Games has been both a pleasure and an enriching experience that will undoubtedly help us deliver a better product and reach a wider audience.”

“It is an honour to work alongside such a credible and visionary organisation as Amplify Creations, to help bring their incredible imagination to life in Decay of Logos”, said Martin Defries, Managing Director of Rising Star Games. “The game is striking, complex, subtle and beautiful all at once and enriches Rising Star Games’s portfolio of outstanding action games”.

Decay of Logos weaves a tale of a girl and her elk companion, who meet after her village is destroyed by one of the King’s sons. Battered and oblivious of the culprit behind the attack, the girl will not rest until she has her revenge. During her quest she will unveil secrets about the King and his sons, slowly realising that all is not what it seems.

Take a peek behind the curtain at the ongoing development of the game and follow the Amplify Creations team’s development blog at decayoflogos.com.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

ehh... looks fun if it were on Nintendo.

Lost me with the art style, I can't stand cartoonish graphics, only two games i forgave for that.

Oni, and borderlands, but I never forgave borderlands for giving up the realistic look to go with cell shaded.

2 more years dev time it might be worth it, in a breath of the wild kind of way.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:41 AM   #4
Scherge
Subscriber

It's not the art so much as the animation style that bothers me. I could get used to those Saturday-morning cartoon characters, but the stiff movement is a complete turn-off - at least in the game's current form. Well, they still have six months to fix that, I suppose...
Old 03-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #5
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

The way I see it, from a business perspective, it's less difficult to make a cartoony looking game, at least in regards to textures ect.

And there is a decent amount of players that like these art styles.

But I think they cut off a big chunk of, dare I say the majority of players who would give a game with realistic looking graphics more of a chance.

but on the flip side, you have to try something new I suppose to stand out.

but i'm not partial to it.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
It's not the art so much as the animation style that bothers me. I could get used to those Saturday-morning cartoon characters, but the stiff movement is a complete turn-off - at least in the game's current form. Well, they still have six months to fix that, I suppose...
The thing that’s blowing it for me is the massive environments with nothing in them. I get wanting to make an “epic” scale, but if you don’t have the content to fill it, it feels like someone who spent all their money buying the house and didn’t leave enough money to buy any furniture.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
ehh... looks fun if it were on Nintendo.

Lost me with the art style, I can't stand cartoonish graphics, only two games i forgave for that.

Oni, and borderlands, but I never forgave borderlands for giving up the realistic look to go with cell shaded.

2 more years dev time it might be worth it, in a breath of the wild kind of way.
Realism sucks, in my opinion.Its part of the reason why there’s no real interest or market in Realism paintings or photography.

In games, Realist art puts the entire hardware budget into -making realistic and processor expensive character models and they STILL look like garbage.

Put something like Uncharted 4 up against Dragon Ball Z FighterZ. Do the characters in U4 look more realistic? Sure. But the characters and environments in FighterZ look 100x more cohesive and organic. Like a Disney film, they look more human and at ease in their environment than many human actors look on screen. In FighterZ, it’s easy to forget I’m looking at a game. In Uncharted, or a game like it, nearly every frame is SCREAMING “I’m A video game!’
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I like cartoony graphics just fine but these graphics, animations, and environments look too flat.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
The way I see it, from a business perspective, it's less difficult to make a cartoony looking game, at least in regards to textures ect.

And there is a decent amount of players that like these art styles.

But I think they cut off a big chunk of, dare I say the majority of players who would give a game with realistic looking graphics more of a chance.

but on the flip side, you have to try something new I suppose to stand out.

but i'm not partial to it.
We saw a rather large push towards "realism" over the past decade or so; it resulted in a bunch of bland, sepia-toned games that sort of blended into one another.

There are certain games and genres that are better with more "realistic" graphics. I do, however, think there's a reason why we're seeing more games swinging back the other way with stylized or "cartoonish" styles, though.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Low budget poo Kingdom of Amalur wannabe.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am sure some will like it. For me the lack of detail on the textures made it look bland like someone slapped on 256x256 one or two color textures made in MS Paint or something. The color palette they showed had a decent variety but when you have just one color and no details on major piece of anatomy (like the torso of the main character) the eye gets bored.

I agree about the animations being wonky, it feels like they need to add at least half-a-dozen more frames to many of the motions like the running and some of the combat animations.

The animals and many of the creatures looked and moved awkwardly which can be forgiven but you can't skimp on the bosses and the main character. A lot of what I saw in the background, grass and so on, looked like billboards which sort of goes with the artstyle but when put up against things that are much more visually rich (like some of the creatures, the "horse" thingie, and the main character) they start to look very cheap when not done properly.

Other parts of the environment, like when they show the player opening the gates, look really good so there is some schizophrenic art direction here.

The gameplay could be the saving grace but it will be hard to get to that part for a lot of players who may not be able to get past the trailer.

Some of the scenes in the trailer do make me wonder about the story of the game, and that may be enough to draw me in despite myself... as someone mentioned, the game isn't out just yet.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decay of logos