Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Baldur's Gate 3 - FULL...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 05:25 AM
7 Replies, 276 Views
Kung flu
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 05:22 AM
41 Replies, 616 Views
Saint Maud Ash Wednesday...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 10:49 PM
4 Replies, 316 Views
Diablo 4's Creepy New...
Last post by stalazon
Yesterday 10:15 PM
2 Replies, 180 Views
Bob Iger Done as Disney...
Last post by stalazon
Yesterday 10:12 PM
25 Replies, 867 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by stalazon
Yesterday 10:05 PM
6,098 Replies, 1,356,717 Views
The Dark Pictures...
Last post by Metal Jesus
Yesterday 09:59 PM
2 Replies, 163 Views
Jordan Peele’s Candyman...
Last post by Azzy
Yesterday 09:40 PM
4 Replies, 202 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #21
RAV
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 519
Can't say for sure, but Blizzard's Hearthstone might be its most popular game right now. Is a card game. Card games seem to be massive hits on mobile platforms, along other turn based stuff.
I remember back in the day of Starcraft1, once the pro-gamers grew up into adults, many of them switched to Poker on pro level.

Card games also have a form of RNG, but it bothers me less than dice rolls, because once you got your cards from the stack, you know what they'll do, you can plan with them properly.

I actually understand the excitement from dice rolls / rng. I just would use it differently, more about rolling the setup of a scenario, less about determining actual actions.

However I can't say absolutely for sure. For instance, one thing that's cool, is in a Battletech style of game, when you shoot that mech and you roll where exactly you hit and such. Kinda makes sense.
I think that rng games often have systems of mitigation for your chances. Where you can plan firm actions to improve your chances in a situation. It's something to work with.
This also reminds me of playing Poker, where it's also a game of statistics, and you work around that in your planning.

Oh well, idk. I loved Baldur's Gate for many many reasons, but I remember even way back in the day I was often pissed about how impactful the rng is on the game.
It ended up revolving around saving the game often and reloading a bunch of times for each battle. Unless you truly were hardcore, accepted your fate and moved on.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #22
RAV
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 519
Oh fuck, you know what annoyed me the most in the first Baldur's Gate? That even the level ups of chars had rng. Holy fuck I remember how horrified I was on level ups, because I just couldn't accept it, so I would save and reload like 100 times until I got the stats (hitpoints) I wanted on the char on pressing level up. And don't get me started on that damn character creation, I would spend an hour rerolling the stats of the char until I got what I wanted. Sure you could redistribute the points manually, but there was heavy luck involved just how many points total you'd get. Oh shit that sucked. Until someone made a trainer app, and you could just set it and move on.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #23
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,205
The last good representation of D&D on PC was Troika’s Temple of Elemental Evil. It’s not truly D&D unless combat is full turnbased on an overhead map. Baldur’s Gate and the rest of the Infinity Engine games are nice but very simplified. Even their early 90s predecessors Darksun: Shattered Lands, Wake of the Ravager, and the Krynn series are better.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #24
RAV
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 519
Ah I remember hearing about Temple of Elemental Evil. It also had a more modern version of D&D, I think, that was better tailored to computer games? Never got around playing it unfortunately, though I heard it's a gem, albeit a rough gem on release as was usual for Troika games. Great premise, great vision, even great execution for the most part, but lacking the last mile of polish. Maybe because they tended to run out of funds and time or something. It usually took a lot of work from modders to fix it into the great game it was supposed to be. (Another reason I might have skipped it was I felt burned out from BG's rng, though maybe it would have been better in Temple, because it's more system complete with more mitigation strategies, idk).

A turn based style of game I can play anytime is Heroes of Might and Magic, of which the old 3 is probably still the best of the series.

When I was younger I was all in on the frenzy of realtime. I played the most hardcore action titles on high competitive levels. What a bloody frenzy it was. Fond memories. But in time I lost taste and grew into slower and more thoughtful games, turn based, etc. Those games are also easier to integrate into your daily busy adult life, because you can do all sorts of other stuff, while from time to time in your little pauses check back into the game and set the next move. Is chill and still engaging, without sapping all your attention and energy. I think a lot of people feel that way as they mature and calm down. As mentioned, I think turn based games are even more popular on mobile and browser, as "casual" games. Usually that would have a bad reputation for real gamers, but those kinda games are actually deeper than your average AAA console game, from a pure gameplay perspective. For "proper" games or what, there's still Civilization and stuff, though I don't know how big that franchise in particular still is.

Last edited by RAV; 01-26-2020 at 04:06 PM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #25
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,205
The big problem with TOEE is the cliched setting and bare bones story. It’s just a very bland chess set. The rules are all there but you’ve seen the same pieces a million times. If the game had the level of mod support as NWN at release we would have had an endless amount of content generated then rightfully take its place as one of the best crpg’s ever made. Instead we’re left with hacked together mods brute forced in by crazy people who abandoned it years ago.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Think this is more about a nerve I touched than anything. I don't like D&D. Happy?
And we get to the root of your dislike of turn based titles. Could have saved everyone a lot of time there.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #27
RAV
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The big problem with TOEE is the cliched setting and bare bones story. It’s just a very bland chess set. The rules are all there but you’ve seen the same pieces a million times. If the game had the level of mod support as NWN at release we would have had an endless amount of content generated then rightfully take its place as one of the best crpg’s ever made. Instead we’re left with hacked together mods brute forced in by crazy people who abandoned it years ago.
Ah, idk. at this point pretty much anything's become cliche. The butch demon orc girl with a gun is as overdone and worn out as Gandalf the Grey. I don't really expect to be much surprised in that regard anymore. At least Gandalf makes more sense and means something, so you can focus on the play instead of being irritated by nonsense. I like that about chess too. So I'm not bothered by classic settings, and I think there is still untold potential working with that for interesting stories, as it's always been, for people with actual talent, instead of relying on gimmicks.

But I hear you, mod support is the way. It's what made NWM truly awesome. There really is all kinds of good stuff for it.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #28
MavenACTG
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
And we get to the root of your dislike of turn based titles. Could have saved everyone a lot of time there.
Fuck off with your shit, asshole.

That's what it sounds like when I don't like something.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #29
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Fuck off with your shit, asshole.

That's what it sounds like when I don't like something.
Jesus it's not like I was wrong, you tried to call that type of game archaic because you prefer real time combat, course you could have just said you don't like turned based games to begin with and no one would have given you shit. Next time just say what you mean.

Last edited by SpectralThundr; 01-26-2020 at 09:51 PM..
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #30
MavenACTG
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 416
You know, if this was a offline interaction, you'd be the guy in the conversation missing all the social cues telling you to stop and that it'd be a good idea to change the subject.

We're way past "What I mean." Table it. I'm done.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
You know, if this was a offline interaction, you'd be the guy in the conversation missing all the social cues telling you to stop and that it'd be a good idea to change the subject.

We're way past "What I mean." Table it. I'm done.
Wahh someone picked on me on a video game forum waahh. aww is the widdle sjw triggered? aww.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #32
RAV
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 519
Oh c'mon now.

One of my greater regrets in gaming is that I never got into Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Those look neat.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:39 PM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Oh c'mon now.

One of my greater regrets in gaming is that I never got into Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Those look neat.
Never played either, generally the more Japanese a game looks the less I'm generally interested. Nothing against them, personally I love Japan just their style of game and their style of visuals doesn't do much for me.

Western RPG's and open world games in general are kinda my wheelhouse. Starting to get into more grand strategy games lately as well, again most of those are also turned based.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #34
RAV
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 519
Ever played XCom: Enemy Unknown? Missed that one too, starting to get in the mood. Hearing it got some epic mods too.

One game I can personally vouch for is Jagged Alliance 2. This game is old but seriously great. Is very Western, open world, and has a grand sense of strategy, even though it's tactical in its turn based combat, because you must liberate an entire continent area by area, and your choices there are important. Got great story and dialogue, too. Definitely a classic. Can get it on GoG.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Ever played XCom: Enemy Unknown? Missed that one too, starting to get in the mood. Hearing it got some epic mods too.

One game I can personally vouch for is Jagged Alliance 2. This game is old but seriously great. Is very Western, open world, and has a grand sense of strategy, even though it's tactical in its turn based combat, because you must liberate an entire continent area by area, and your choices there are important. Got great story and dialogue, too. Definitely a classic. Can get it on GoG.
I own both Xcom remakes 2k recently did, both are excellent, both are extremely difficult. I remember playing a JA game years ago, not sure which one it was, I remember it being buggy as hell then, but as the JA games were always developed on shoe string budgets and from somewhat 2nd rate publishers and super niche it wasn't surprising. Perhaps if it's cheap enough on GoG I'll give it a 2nd look. Was kinda thinking of picking up Mutant Year Zero at some point too as I'd heard good things about it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #36
MavenACTG
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Wahh someone picked on me on a video game forum waahh. aww is the widdle sjw triggered? aww.
Yeah, that's exactly why -- cause of the bad faith, tribal aggressiveness you and others bring to any disagreement. Because of that repetitive, disingenuous, power playing, immature bullshit. You aren't here to understand shit, just attack. You think you weren't wrong and that you understand what I was doing so completely, charging ahead on that assumption when you don't even know what I was saying in the first place, judging by your responses. It's about your world view, not mine.

The SJW triggering insults are tired. We get it, you're proud conservatives who represent the best America has to offer, yee haw. Actually, no, typical gamer, because all I can see here is you taking whatever position or writing whatever thing to "win a discussion" when you sense an opportunity.

It's toxic as shit. Why don't you say what YOU mean instead of hiding behind a computer screen and political cliches?

Last edited by MavenACTG; 01-27-2020 at 10:22 AM..
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #37
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Yeah, that's exactly why -- cause of the bad faith, tribal aggressiveness you and others bring to any disagreement. Because of that repetitive, disingenuous, power playing, immature bullshit. You aren't here to understand shit, just attack. You think you weren't wrong and that you understand what I was doing so completely, charging ahead on that assumption when you don't even know what I was saying in the first place, judging by your responses. It's about your world view, not mine.

The SJW triggering insults are tired. We get it, you're proud conservatives who represent the best America has to offer, yee haw. Actually, no, typical gamer, because all I can see here is you taking whatever position or writing whatever thing to "win a discussion" when you sense an opportunity.

It's toxic as shit. Why don't you say what YOU mean instead of hiding behind a computer screen and political cliches?
So much for being "done" eh? Naw I knew what you were saying from the first post, dialog is boring you just wanna action it up. We get it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #38
MavenACTG
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 416
You don't understand, don't care to, might even be beyond your ability (wouldn't want that made public, would you?), and I don't see any reason to believe anything you write. This was all another exercise on your part to stir the pot, an exercise you're continuing. I offer exit ramps to move past a conflict, you see an opportunity to rub a dog's face in its own shit because of that erection it gives you.

You and I both know what you can get away with when there are no consequences to your actions. You'd also know better than I do what you find permissive when it's you and your buddies (or their backing) against one.

If you're looking for turn-based competition where its acceptable to play the other player, why don't you plant your ass at a poker table instead of wasting time on "a video game forum?" At least then you can be obnoxious and make a profit in the meantime.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #39
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
You don't understand, don't care to, might even be beyond your ability (wouldn't want that made public, would you?), and I don't see any reason to believe anything you write. This was all another exercise on your part to stir the pot, an exercise you're continuing. I offer exit ramps to move past a conflict, you see an opportunity to rub a dog's face in its own shit because of that erection it gives you.

You and I both know what you can get away with when there are no consequences to your actions. You'd also know better than I do what you find permissive when it's you and your buddies (or their backing) against one.

If you're looking for turn-based competition where its acceptable to play the other player, why don't you plant your ass at a poker table instead of wasting time on "a video game forum?" At least then you can be obnoxious and make a profit in the meantime.
You're a reeeeegressive twat, don't talk to me about consequences, your ilk doesn't believe in them. Again we get it you don't like turn based games, go find another thread to whine about it, Kotor was essentially a turn based game so why the fuck are you even here?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #40
MavenACTG
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 416
Why do you keep coming back but for the fight you know's waiting for you? This conversation stopped being about KOTOR a long time ago. A consequence of your actions.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
old republic, star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.