Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 07:56 AM
29 Replies, 1,429 Views

Old 10-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Long Lost, 1930'S Novel that Inspired 'THE THING' Discovered

Quote:
Before taking over editorial duties on the magazine and publishing seminal works by authors like Isaac Asimov, Jack Williamson, Robert A. Heinlein, A.E. van Vogt and others, Campbell himself was a writer, and the last major piece of fiction he published was "Who Goes There?", in which a team of researchers stationed in the Antarctic battle the shape-shifting occupant of a crashed alien ship.

But now, according to The Verge, a longer version of that story may be coming to light decades after being locked away. While researching his new book, Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction, author Alec Nevala-Lee learned that Campbell had actually written a novel-length version of the story, which he cut down for publication in the magazine.

Spotting a reference in one of Campbell's surviving letters to a box of manuscripts the editor had sent to Harvard for archiving, Nevala-Lee tracked down the box at the university and discovered that it contained Frozen Hell, the full-length original version of Campbell's story.

It seems that Campbell had mentioned Frozen Hell a few times but had not indicated that it was a novel, with Nevala-Lee saying, "I don't think anybody had any idea that it existed." The latter also described the differences between the published novella and the unpublished novel, such as a 45-page section dedicated to the discovery of the Thing's spacecraft that was condensed for publication.

Nevala-Lee added, "The really fascinating thing is how (the novel) alters the structure of the entire story, which changes halfway through from a science fiction adventure into horror. I love that kind of unexpected shift in tone, and while I can see why Campbell decided to edit it down to focus on the psychological side, there’s something very modern — and effective — in the way that it switches abruptly from one genre to another.”

Next to get involved was John Gregory Betancourt, who runs independent publishing imprint Wildside Press and is the manager of Campbell's literary estate. Taking the "partial final draft and rough draft" of the novel that Campbell had left behind, Betancourt edited them into a final version and launched a Kickstarter fund to raise the money necessary to get the novel published.
SyFy Wire.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Azzy
Cthulian

Well, I for one am fucking stoked about this. Day 1.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Love 'lost' literature coming to light. Tolkien's son completing and publishing several works, a second Mockingbird novel...good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Well, I backed it; can't beat $25 for a hardcover copy and the ebook.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

What FAKE NEWS idiocy is THIS?? "The Thing" was inspired by "At The Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft. Thought this was well known. Anyone claiming otherwise is a fool or charlatan.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
What FAKE NEWS idiocy is THIS?? "The Thing" was inspired by "At The Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft. Thought this was well known. Anyone claiming otherwise is a fool or charlatan.
You can’t seriously not have heard of Who Goes There?

This was an instant purchase for me, $25 hardcover and ebook. Sold!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
No. Just...no.

The Thing (1982) and The Thing From Another World (1951) were both based on the novella Who Goes There? (1938). Anyone claiming otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

You're probably getting things mixed up with the notion of Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy". The Thing, along with Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness, all had a general Lovecraft influence; they all featured some form of cosmic horror or entities unknown to man, that are threats to both human life and the sense of self. The Thing was, however, explicitly based on the novella Who Goes There?.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 10-25-2018 at 07:54 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

You see, what we're talking about here is an organism that imitates other life forms, and imitates them perfectly. When this Thing attacked our dogs, it tried to digest them. Absorb them. And in the process, shape its own cells to imitate them. This, for instance, that's not dog. That's imitation. We got to it before it had time to finish.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Thank for going full retard consistently at least.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

Quote:
Eh, I'm assuming this is a poor attempt at sarcasm.
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the thing