Today 02:58 PM
26 Replies, 2,430 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #121
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
While it's important to advocate for the victims of any crime...it's equally important to give the accused the benefit of the doubt, because accusing someone of something does not mean they're automatically guilty.
As much hyperbole I give here I do agree with the advocacy. If someone feels they have been victimized they feel the need for justice and real victims DESERVE justice and closure. How can we bridge that gap where there can be no justice either because there was no crime, despite the victim feeling there was a crime or because the accused was acquitted (for whatever reason) despite committing the crime? Maybe the ability to read and write memories is a technology worth investing in but the ethics... whew.

Unfortunately the sad tactic we've taken and the direction we've gone in our "feelz" based society is to abandon Blackstone's formulation: "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer." Clearly I feel like this is predominantly applied to men in the vast majority of Western society today. Better to let 10 men be unjustly punished if it means we happen to catch that one who might be a real bad guy. Because they are all rapists or bullies, or wife beaters, or toxic in someway at heart so big deal, right?

But when it comes to people of power both men and women (if no one has worked for a woman in a high position of power and doesn't think they are just as abusive, though perhaps not sexually, you're deluded), as has been pointed out over the last few weeks, the problem has been and will always be justice denied. In this case it's the capricious King and none of the nobles around him, especially those he had raised up from being peasants themselves had the balls to rise up and denounce him.

If this story hadn't gone public the noble court of Hollywood would still be on their podiums this week bitching and moaning about Trump instead of basking in the limelight of their own degradation. What would it have taken for a coup? And how does the industry protect itself from this in the future?

They've gotten a few BIG scalps now; do heads continue to roll from now as the feminists finally have the toe hold they need to keep Hollywood in check with the same sort of threats they now use so successfully in Corporate America? Or are the studios going to be able to re-exert their influence after this blows over and the celebs get back to their high horse on the moral bandwagon. Right now I think it would be a good idea for a nice big $40m anonymous donation from the studios to some sort of anti-immigrant group to get this out of the newspapers and get the focus of the 24 hour news cycle back on politics and tearing down Trump.

The ones that I've become to see as truly odious are those Kings and Queens of other countries who would have been immune from his retribution but still decided to stay silent so as to continue to receive tribute.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #122
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I was just in Salem three weeks ago for part of my honeymoon and "believe the victim" was essentially the entire reason why the Witch Trials took place; when accused, the suspected witch was automatically assumed to be a witch until they were able to prove otherwise. It's kind of sad that a mentality we were able to abandon - to one degree or another - over the course of 325 years has slowly reared its ugly head again.

We see this sort of behavior every day, unfortunately. Every time someone brings accusations of any against an athlete, the vast majority of people automatically assume they did it. Even metal bands aren't immune.

While it's important to advocate for the victims of any crime...it's equally important to give the accused the benefit of the doubt, because accusing someone of something does not mean they're automatically guilty.
Someone who over the course of 30 years to be know to repeatedly molest or abuse women, or in the case of one like Woody Allen, the abuse was blatant, isn't a witch hunt. You guys really need t o figure out that words have meanings.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #123
Terran
Evil Dead

We may not have many women here, but we sure as hell have several pussies around.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #124
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Someone who over the course of 30 years to be know to repeatedly molest or abuse women, or in the case of one like Woody Allen, the abuse was blatant, isn't a witch hunt. You guys really need t o figure out that words have meanings.
I think the witch hunt is going to happen in the next 2 months and continue for the next 12 or until the entertainment industry is as cowed as Corporate America.

If you dare even suggest someone is overweight in an office you can be written up. Now imagine the same sort of standards Corporate America is held to invading Hollywood.

Is it right they should be exempt from what some would say are some rules of simple decency? Of course it's right, there's a difference between an office and working and the entertainment industry. Certain qualities hold different values but this is NOT how the various activist movements see things.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #125
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I think the witch hunt is going to happen in the next 2 months and continue for the next 12 or until the entertainment industry is as cowed as Corporate America.

If you dare even suggest someone is overweight in an office you can be written up. Now imagine the same sort of standards Corporate America is held to invading Hollywood.

Is it right they should be exempt from what some would say are some rules of simple decency? Of course it's right, there's a difference between an office and working and the entertainment industry. Certain qualities hold different values but this is NOT how the various activist movements see things.
Doubtful as Hollywood is very much more interested in protecting their own and will continue to do so. Weinstein was the sacrificial goat. Just listen to Barbara Walters here as Corey Fieldman attempts to bring light to the abuse in hollywood On The View, she tells him "you're damaging an entire industry" They don't want this outed by any means.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #126
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
You really need to figure out when people are discussing things in generalities, as opposed to the specific topic at hand. In the case of the serial offenders who have become "worst-kept secrets" in their circles, they deserve no advocacy and it wouldn't be a witch hunt.

You're way to quick on the draw; it doesn't take much to get you to hump my leg for attention, does it?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #127
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You really need to figure out when people are discussing things in generalities, as opposed to the specific topic at hand. In the case of the serial offenders who have become "worst-kept secrets" in their circles, they deserve no advocacy and it wouldn't be a witch hunt.

You're way to quick on the draw; it doesn't take much to get you to hump my leg for attention, does it?
You're the one going on about victim blaming and comparing oranges to apples. At least you agree these sick fucks deserve no advocacy. You do need to keep in mind, athletes and movie stars are also people, this means they are not immune from making stupid decisions.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #128
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You're the one going on about victim blaming and comparing oranges to apples. At least you agree these sick fucks deserve no advocacy. You do need to keep in mind, athletes and movie stars are also people, this means they are not immune from making stupid decisions.
In this case i think you've jumped to the wrong conclusions. If you look at the context of the discussion that has occurred. Chimp is literally saying the same thing as Vallor. He just added the context of going to the historical site of events where victims were taken blindly at their word.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #129
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Doubtful as Hollywood is very much more interested in protecting their own and will continue to do so. Weinstein was the sacrificial goat. Just listen to Barbara Walters here as Corey Fieldman attempts to bring light to the abuse in hollywood On The View, she tells him "you're damaging an entire industry" They don't want this outed by any means.
Crazy Corey is one thing. But now it has become a virtue to have become one of the darling circle of the sexual assualted and body shamed with their patron saints in people like JLaw. And it's not limited to just Hollywood. We're hearing about it from TV and even Internet personalities.

All the while people are completely burying the more disgusting forced homosexual and pedophila assaults mentioned by Corey and Elijah Wood. You're just hearing about the poor women. All that is being brushed under the rug because Men aren't allowed to be victims and Children as victims would take the limelight from the ladies.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #130
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:

I remember that. The full story is Corey Haim was repeatedly raped by Charlie Sheen when they were filming the 1986 movie Lucas. It's no coincidence two years after Corey Feldman's appearance on The View (and five years after Haim's death) Sheen revealed he is HIV positive.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #131
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
In this case i think you've jumped to the wrong conclusions. If you look at the context of the discussion that has occurred. Chimp is literally saying the same thing as Vallor. He just added the context of going to the historical site of events where victims were taken blindly at their word.
Like I said, he doesn't bother to actually read anything; he just loves to have an excuse to vigorously hump my leg for attention.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #132
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

New York Post: Tarantino on Harvey Weinstein: ‘I knew enough to do more than I did’

The Hollywood Reporter: LAPD Investigating Harvey Weinstein Following New Rape Allegation
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #133
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Like I said, he doesn't bother to actually read anything; he just loves to have an excuse to vigorously hump my leg for attention.
Not really you just tend to spew stupid. Getting your context I get where you're coming from. Still though the idea that there's "Witch hunting" going on is kinda silly when you think of how many NFL players get caught up in shootings or outright murder like Hernandez just as one example. They're humans, just because they're rich doesn't mean they don't make dumb decisions. As for hollywood it's full of abusers and pedos. That's hardly a witch hunt either.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #134
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
I remember that. The full story is Corey Haim was repeatedly raped by Charlie Sheen when they were filming the 1986 movie Lucas. It's no coincidence two years after Corey Feldman's appearance on The View (and five years after Haim's death) Sheen revealed he is HIV positive.
The point is far lefties like Barbara Walters don't seem interested in bringing this stuff to light. If it were a conservative or Trump or someone like that though, she'd have 20/20 specials on the damn topic.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #135
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
And what he apparently did was... nothing. Which is unforgivable especially since he had front row seats as one of the victims, Mira Sorvino, was his girlfriend.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #136
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Not really you just tend to spew stupid.
You sure about that, bub?
I mean, that's pretty rich coming from a guy who either makes shit up or pretends that his completely uninformed opinion is actually worth anything while shouting as loudly as possible.

Quote:
Getting your context I get where you're coming from. Still though the idea that there's "Witch hunting" going on is kinda silly when you think of how many NFL players get caught up in shootings or outright murder like Hernandez just as one example. They're humans, just because they're rich doesn't mean they don't make dumb decisions. As for hollywood it's full of abusers and pedos. That's hardly a witch hunt either.
Sure, there are a handful of players that get caught up in stupid shit like that...but, your stance is playing right into my point: The handful of players are tainting your overall outlook of all players. "Well, he's a football player and he was accused of doing (X). Since so many other players have done stuff like this, he's probably guilty."

Also, I never actually used the term "witch hunt"; I mentioned the Salem trials because virtually everyone who was accused of being a witch was automatically assumed to be guilty until proven otherwise. I was never talking about witch hunts in the modern sense, but the peculiar stance that people have begun to take where anyone accused of anything is automatically assumed to be guilty in the public's eye.

And again, all of this was essentially a non sequitur to the topic at large.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #137
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
EvAv, the Mos Eisley of non sequiturs.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #138
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You sure about that, bub?
I mean, that's pretty rich coming from a guy who either makes shit up or pretends that his completely uninformed opinion is actually worth anything while shouting as loudly as possible.

Sure, there are a handful of players that get caught up in stupid shit like that...but, your stance is playing right into my point: The handful of players are tainting your overall outlook of all players. "Well, he's a football player and he was accused of doing (X). Since so many other players have done stuff like this, he's probably guilty."

Also, I never actually used the term "witch hunt"; I mentioned the Salem trials because virtually everyone who was accused of being a witch was automatically assumed to be guilty until proven otherwise. I was never talking about witch hunts in the modern sense, but the peculiar stance that people have begun to take where anyone accused of anything is automatically assumed to be guilty in the public's eye.

Yep you just mentioned the Salem Witch Trials for the hell of it, of course.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #139
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

New York Post: Harvey Weinstein doesn’t seem to be taking sex rehab seriously

Quote:
Harvey Weinstein is already being belligerent at sex addiction rehab — barking into his banned mobile phone and remaining in denial about his alleged sex attacks, insisting each and every one was consensual, Page Six has exclusively learned.

The movie mogul, who volunteered to go to rehab after a wave of allegations of sexual harassment and rape against him from women in Hollywood, isn’t exactly in his element in therapy, falling asleep in sessions or talking on his phone, a source tells Page Six.

Weinstein was reported to be at an inpatient facility, but our source says he is actually being treated at an intensive outpatient facility, which allows him to spend nights at a hotel. The clinic offers one-on-one counseling and group therapy sessions, among other treatments.

The source told us, “In one group therapy session, Harvey arrived 15 minutes late. Then, when it was his turn to speak, he launched into a speech about how this is all a conspiracy against him.”
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batfleck, ben affleck, harvey weinstein, hollywood