Booda
Beam another Blast

So Long...

Bye.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

He pissed away all his money on a game that anyone in the industry could have told him would be a total flop. He was so obsessed with what he wanted to play that he never gave a second thought to what actual gamers wanted to play.

Now that the money is all dried up, I'm sure the trophy wife will be gone next. In a couple of years, he will be working some dead end job coding business applications.

How the mighty have fallen.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Didn't he do this once already? Sorry Cliffy, noone wanted your shitty UT clone.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I don't understand why some people hate cliffy b. Seems passionate about games. I personally don't care for his games but I know xboners do. Never struck me as an asshole or anything. Not like he's Probst or Molyneux.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I don't understand why some people hate cliffy b. Seems passionate about games. I personally don't care for his games but I know xboners do. Never struck me as an asshole or anything. Not like he's Probst or Molyneux.
Guy thinks he's a rockstar, til Lawbreakers failed and he came crashing back down to earth. I dunno, Cliffy's always come off as kind of full of himself imo. But that's ALOT of developers, Derek Smart, Chris Roberts, Molyneux like you mention.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

On the bright side, he does appear to have a terrific second act in the theater.

Oh the drama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
That's the whole point, he does act like an asshat and he has for a long time. When he was working on Unreal Tournament he was a down-to-earth guy with a lot of drive and talent and he was just super cool. Then Unreal Tournament hit big and he started to get a super inflated ego -- like posing for press pictures dressed as Neo and stupid shit like that, then when Gears just took off, he thought he was god's gift to storytelling and creativity.

He started posting online about his houses, cars, whores, etc and just generally being a dick to anyone and everyone.

The problem was his talent couldn't keep up with his ego. The gears games got progressively worse and then there was the whole Bulletstorm fiasco and Epic gave him the old heave-ho, which made him even more of an asshat online.

So, he thought he would rescue us from ourselves with Lawbreakers, a game any fool could have told him was going to be an Epic flop. But, he knew better, right?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That's the whole point, he does act like an asshat and he has for a long time. When he was working on Unreal Tournament he was a down-to-earth guy with a lot of drive and talent and he was just super cool. Then Unreal Tournament hit big and he started to get a super inflated ego -- like posing for press pictures dressed as Neo and stupid shit like that, then when Gears just took off, he thought he was god's gift to storytelling and creativity.

He started posting online about his houses, cars, whores, etc and just generally being a dick to anyone and everyone.

The problem was his talent couldn't keep up with his ego. The gears games got progressively worse and then there was the whole Bulletstorm fiasco and Epic gave him the old heave-ho, which made him even more of an asshat online.

So, he thought he would rescue us from ourselves with Lawbreakers, a game any fool could have told him was going to be an Epic flop. But, he knew better, right?
The guy is passionate about making games, has made some great games, released a big project and tried to support it and make it better and finally paid all his employees at the end rather than taking the money and running. And for that you heap spite on him and basically wish him to the gutter...who is the arsehole here?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

When the money truly dries up, he'll make a smaller indie game and if it stinks, people will laugh. If it's good, you'll see people say how they liked the guy's games all along and that, maybe, the media was unfair to him.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
The guy is passionate about making games, has made some great games, released a big project and tried to support it and make it better and finally paid all his employees at the end rather than taking the money and running. And for that you heap spite on him and basically wish him to the gutter...who is the arsehole here?
Who said anything about wishing him in the gutter, saying someone has a huge ego issue, which he did for years, is not saying you wish them in the gutter. Reading comprehension has never been your strong point Juan, too excited to be a SJW spaz all the time.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Who said anything about wishing him in the gutter, saying someone has a huge ego issue, which he did for years, is not saying you wish them in the gutter. Reading comprehension has never been your strong point Juan, too excited to be a SJW spaz all the time.
From Evil:
Now that the money is all dried up, I'm sure the trophy wife will be gone next. In a couple of years, he will be working some dead end job coding business applications.

Why exactly am I an SJW? There are obviously lots of dickheads on the internet but you're different. As many others have commented in the past, you actually seem to be mentally ill. You simply pull ANY topic back to progressive / sjw insults, it is literally the only thing you ever post about. You are without a doubt an absolute joke of a human being and everyone on this site hates you. How does that feel?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
Meusli
Subscriber

The guys a douche. I for one won't miss him, but I bet you all he will be back in a few years time running his mouth off again and slagging off gamers.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Why exactly am I an SJW? There are obviously lots of dickheads on the internet but you're different. As many others have commented in the past, you actually seem to be mentally ill. You simply pull ANY topic back to progressive / sjw insults, it is literally the only thing you ever post about. You are without a doubt an absolute joke of a human being and everyone on this site hates you. How does that feel?
Need another maxi there Jan? Appears to be a rather heavy flow.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

He was a pretty big douche in the 2000s and more recently tried to stay in the public consciousness with political parrot speech you find in the unnecessary cesspool that is Twitter. CliffyB always had an easily hateable public persona. He definitely embraced it at the height of his fame and embodied everything that was wrong with E3 at the height of its insanity. That said, I never played Lawbreakers but everyone I know who tried it said the game was pretty great if you could get a populated server. The game never had a chance and was ignored at launch.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
From Evil:

Because you fucking throw a hissy at the stupidest things, seriously get a fucking maxi pad up there, you're losing lots of blood. Yeah yeah everyone hates me blah blah I don't give 2 shits bud, you're on the interenet, it isn't that critical. Stop being a fucking Marysue.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
That said, I never played Lawbreakers but everyone I know who tried it said the game was pretty great if you could get a populated server. The game never had a chance and was ignored at launch.
I heard the same. It didn't look great but I heard it played very well. But there are just too many good games out there. You need to play well and stand out or your game is going to die quietly.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I thought Lawbreakers was dull beyond belief and the art was poor to average. So, there it is.

If you enjoyed it, that’s cool, but I think that people who enjoyed it were in the minority. A straight death match PC-Only shooter just wasn’t what people were looking for. That kind of gameplay is already being done better in Call of Duty and other shooters.

I get that CliffyB wanted to get back to his PC gaming roots, but the place for that is by doing something creative and off the wall —something inspired and original.

I know if I had unlimited budget and the backing of a huge Korean publisher, the last thing I would make is a straight old-school Deathmatch game. Those are just dull and they are over.

I could come up with 3 ideas without thinking about it that could be easily monetized and would be more fun. He just wasn’t pushing the creativity at all and his art team was really average.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

I suppose having CliffyB as your "front man" doesn't do you any favours. He did try to talk as though he was a reformed douchebag, making all the right noises wrt Lawbreakers but I think many people, rightly or wrongly assumed he was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear.

Ultimately he didn't make any of his titles on his own, it was a team of talent and somehow these people get it into their heads that they are solely responsible for any success (failure is always someone else's fault).

Crying and taking your ball home because you failed is not really what you expect from a professional IMO. Most others have no option to just give up, we have to get up and go to work irrespective of setbacks. Still we don't know all the details and because its CliffyB I don't think he would get a fair "trial" anyway as people seem to enjoy it when delusional self obsessed people finally realise they are not individually "special".

Hopefully he did do right by his employees as they are the real victims in this story IMO.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The Bulletstorm "fiasco" involved a game that was well-received but didn't quite sell well enough. His exit from Epic occurred nearly two full years after the game was released, so I doubt his departure had much to do with this one title. If it was, they would have given him the boot much sooner than October 2012.

Quote:
I never really thought of Molyneux as an asshole; if anything, he was his own harshest critic, especially toward the end. His biggest problem was over-promising to an extreme degree, then under-delivering to the same extreme. His biggest problem was that he was almost too excited, too passionate, and had too many good ideas for the technology he had available to him. Without anyone to reign his excitement in, we got a bunch of good games that were considered to be disappointments, almost entirely because of how much he hyped them up.

He just never knew when to stop talking.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #20
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
...but I think many people, rightly or wrongly assumed he was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear.

North Carolina-developed LawBreakers will have gender-neutral bathrooms

This was an example of the sort of politically correct hot-button issues that CliffyB decided to get behind (both in his game & on his twitter account).

The guy lost his way a long time ago. His final two failed projects proved that.