Last post by SacredWeasel
Today 10:38 AM
11 Replies, 1,360 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Digital Pirates hold Disney's Pirates Movie for Ransom

Deadline is reporting that digital pirates have obtained a copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and are threatening to release the film online unless Disney pays a ransom in Bitcoins.

Quote:
Disney’s upcoming Johnny Depp film Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been pilfered by ransom hackers seeking payment from the studio. The hackers have demanded an enormous amount of money be paid in Bitcoin. Disney is currently working with the FBI and will not pay.

Although Disney CEO Bob Iger did not reveal which movie the ransom hackers claim to have, he did reveal to ABC employees during a town hall meeting in New York on Monday that the incident had occurred. The hackers said they would release bits of the film — in increments — if their demands weren’t met. Deadline learned that it was, indeed, Jerry Bruckheimer’s fifth in the Pirates franchise, which is scheduled for release May 26.

Disney would not comment, but insiders said that the company refuse to pay. This follows the same issue Netflix faced when a ransom hacker spilled out 10 episodes of the next season of Orange Is The New Black when Netflix also refused to ante up.

Hector Monsegur, Director of Security Assessments for Rhino Security Labs and a regular expert on the Science Channel series Outlaw Tech, was a former computer hacker who was arrested and then became an FBI informant. He told Deadline that “attribution is probably the hardest thing the FBI is dealing with here.”
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Yaarrrrrr Freeeee Promooooo
Old 05-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Silly. It'll be out on crap cam within two days of release then webrip a couple of weeks after that. Find them, hurt them.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

Find them and kill them!
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

This will have absolutely no impact on this film's performance in the slightest. At least they tried...?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Finally, a major Hollywood production that will be illicitly available at or before it launches through the wonders of the Internet! When will this EVER happen again?

/sarc.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This will have absolutely no impact on this film's performance in the slightest. At least they tried...?
If the movie sucks, this could totally kill their profits. This is what happened to Hostel 2 and to Wolverine. Both of those had screeners that came out before the movie hit theaters and they were terrible films and word got around FAST that the movie wasn't worth going to see. In some ways, that same thing happened when the Director of Fantastic Four went out on twitter and said the movie sucked... once people heard it sucked they didn't bother.

On the other hand, if the movie is great, I think something like this could actually help the movie because some people will hear about how great it is and want to go see it.

Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie. I would imagine that if they pulled this off some mid-level employee's computer that it's just a digital version of a 460p screener and something like that will not end up having any impact one way or the other.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If the movie sucks, this could totally kill their profits. This is what happened to Hostel 2 and to Wolverine. Both of those had screeners that came out before the movie hit theaters and they were terrible films and word got around FAST that the movie wasn't worth going to see. In some ways, that same thing happened when the Director of Fantastic Four went out on twitter and said the movie sucked... once people heard it sucked they didn't bother.
The last time I checked, virtually every single movie hitting theaters is leaked to the internet days - if not weeks - prior to the theatrical release. The only difference in this case is the leak is now highly publicized.

When it comes to a movie with massive mainstream appeal, the opinions and scuttlebutt of people who watched leaked versions won't really matter.

Quote:
Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie. I would imagine that if they pulled this off some mid-level employee's computer that it's just a digital version of a 460p screener and something like that will not end up having any impact one way or the other.
Ultimately, it depends upon the film. Their target audience is, believe it or not, not people like us. Piracy may damage films like The Hateful Eight, but mainstream films like Pirates of the Caribbean are likely going to pull in decent numbers, regardless of what happens.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Male Chauvinist
Peon

Lol, that is too funny.
Male Chauvinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
DeluxE
Evil Dead

Quote:
...if the movie is great, I think something like this could actually help the movie because some people will hear about how great it is and want to go see it.

A leaked version killed Fury's profits, even though it was a damn fine WWII film. And a much better experience in the theater. I don't know if the quality matters all that much - if it looks decent, people will still be able to watch it, and let's face it, forget all about it by the time it's done.
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie.
If they have a screener copy, it could be as quality as 4K. Don't you remember the Hateful Eight leak?
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
Arkarian
Knight

Funny! A pirate movie Pirated.
Arkarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #13
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Do these dumb shits expect anyone to pay? Nobody will pay these assholes because there's no way to guarantee that you just won't take the money and leak the movie/TV series/software anyway.

Tags
dead men tell no tales, pirates of the caribbean