11 Replies, 1,360 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Injustice 2 Reviews "It's a bar that every fighting game should meet"

GameSpot - 9/10

Quote:
With AI battles, online and local versus matches, the diverse and ever-changing Multiverse, and an impressive story mode, Injustice 2 offers numerous ways of engaging with its characters and testing your abilities without feeling repetitive. This variety is further bolstered by gear. Despite the needlessly complex economy tied to item management, the value of customization and expression that comes with gear ultimately makes up for it. And with over 25 characters to explore, it's easy to look forward to watching your next character grow while your understanding of the game continues to expand. NetherRealm has delivered a fighting game that can be enjoyed by new players and pros alike in ways that go beyond pure competition. It's a bar that every fighting game should meet, but one that has up until now seemed out of reach.
Game Informer - 9.0/10

Quote:
Injustice 2 is a huge game, offering a lengthy story-based campaign, a great fighting experience, and a nearly endless supply of notable loot. The small tweaks to combat go a long way in creating a more dynamic flow, which resonates well in multiplayer matches. I ran into a little lag in a few online bouts, but the game ran smoothly most of the time. Even if you don’t enjoy the competitive aspects of the fighting genre, this is a game you can dive into for an enjoyable superhero story. Brainiac is a tough fight, but anyone should be able to march to him and take him down on the easiest difficulty.

With DC’s cinematic universe pumping out one bad movie after another, Injustice 2 is the best way to see just how powerful and diverse its heroes are.
Eurogamer Italy - 8/10

Quote:
Injustice 2 is a fun game. If you like the NetherRealm Studios’ signature style, with crappy animations and frequent patches, you’ll find in this game a huge load of exciting, over-the-top superhero action.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

yeah, this game is pretty awesome. I played from 9pm to 6AM last night/today.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Looks awesome but the 3 different versions of this title turned me off.

Will just wait GOTY edition.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I'll be waiting for the PC GOTY version this time, not going to get tricked again.

Also NetherRealm just cannot do female faces at all.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Transylmania
Evil Dead

I'm just not that big of a DC fan is my only hang-up with this game. Disney/Marvel need to get on it..get the license out there. Capcom doesn't have it anymore right?
Transylmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

I'd love to get into it, but can't/won't for a few reasons:

1. I don't care about DC at all.
2. I refuse to buy another NetherRealm game until there is a GOTY edition. The prices for these "deluxe" editions are just getting stupid.
3. Again, NetherRealm. The first Injustice was alright, but I don't think I'm that interested in another one.

Come on Capcom, MvC:I is supposed to release this year and you haven't done damn near enough to get some hype for it. Are you even trying anymore?
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #8
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I'll be waiting for the PC GOTY version this time, not going to get tricked again.

Also NetherRealm just cannot do female faces at all.
The faces actually look great this time. The only caveat is that they seemed to have used a similar technology to L.A. Noire, so the faces look fully mokapped or CGI'd. After you play for a bit you realize how great they look and the worries go away.

I am one who is well aware of their female face issues in the past.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:47 AM   #9
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaDangerous View Post
I'd love to get into it, but can't/won't for a few reasons:

1. I don't care about DC at all.
2. I refuse to buy another NetherRealm game until there is a GOTY edition. The prices for these "deluxe" editions are just getting stupid.
3. Again, NetherRealm. The first Injustice was alright, but I don't think I'm that interested in another one.

Come on Capcom, MvC:I is supposed to release this year and you haven't done damn near enough to get some hype for it. Are you even trying anymore?
Well, maybe they're waiting for Evo in July...? It's probably the next fighting game I'm going to buy. I really should play more beat'em ups (yes, that's what we called them back in the 90s), but between missing local opponents, KoFXIV's soulless 3D visuals, SFV's mushy controls, BlazBlue's absurd characters, NetherRealm's annoying combo system and Tekken/VF's complete absence over the last years, I find it hard to motivate myself.

I finished the story mode of the first "Injustice" on PS3, but couldn't even bring myself to play the enhanced PS4 port (free with PS+) for more than an hour, because I simply don't enjoy NR's fighting systems.

Edit: Forgot DoA. Eh. Is it still a game or a mere costume marketplace at this point? Anyway, it could never compare to VF, in my opinion, at least not since DoA2.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylmania View Post
I'm just not that big of a DC fan is my only hang-up with this game. Disney/Marvel need to get on it..get the license out there. Capcom doesn't have it anymore right?
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite was announced back in December, with a new trailer released less than a month ago. It's being released in September of this year.

They're at least four steps ahead of you.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
I really should play more beat'em ups (yes, that's what we called them back in the 90s), but between missing local opponents, KoFXIV's soulless 3D visuals, SFV's mushy controls, BlazBlue's absurd characters, NetherRealm's annoying combo system and Tekken/VF's complete absence over the last years, I find it hard to motivate myself.
Beat 'em Ups (always preferred 'brawlers') are games like Double Dragon and Streets of Rage. Games with some fighter elements, but aren't 1v1 fighters like Street Fighter and so forth. Focused around taking on hordes of enemies with your fists, and preferably played in co-op. The fisticuffs version of 'Shoot 'em Ups'. That said, it's definitely a slightly ambiguous term that people apply in all sorts of ways.

Only the newest KoF is 3D, the last one was both pretty solid and used animated sprites. Not much there for solo play though, and it's kinda dated now if you're looking to buy new. Tekken 7 is out in about two weeks. MvC:I is out in about 4 months--but if annoying combo systems put you off... At least it won't be as stiff as NR's fighting systems usually play.

It's the lack of local players that would really do it for me though. If I didn't have a group playing Smash Bros every week, I'd have shelved it a long time ago.

Edit: heh Guess you're on top of MvC:I. Kinda glazed over the first couple sentences.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Well, maybe they're waiting for Evo in July...? It's probably the next fighting game I'm going to buy. I really should play more beat'em ups (yes, that's what we called them back in the 90s), but between missing local opponents, KoFXIV's soulless 3D visuals, SFV's mushy controls, BlazBlue's absurd characters, NetherRealm's annoying combo system and Tekken/VF's complete absence over the last years, I find it hard to motivate myself.

I finished the story mode of the first "Injustice" on PS3, but couldn't even bring myself to play the enhanced PS4 port (free with PS+) for more than an hour, because I simply don't enjoy NR's fighting systems.

Edit: Forgot DoA. Eh. Is it still a game or a mere costume marketplace at this point? Anyway, it could never compare to VF, in my opinion, at least not since DoA2.
I just don't get this, both the last couple of MK'S and Injustice have a more realistic combo system where you're not just pushing one button to do a 100 hit combo like Capcom's Street Fighter rehashes., it takes actual timing and skill to pull off combos outside of Injustice's supers. MvC just looks so silly and epileptic, 1993 called they want their fighting game back.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I just don't get this, both the last couple of MK'S and Injustice have a more realistic combo system where you're not just pushing one button to do a 100 hit combo like Capcom's Street Fighter rehashes., it takes actual timing and skill to pull off combos outside of Injustice's supers. MvC just looks so silly and epileptic, 1993 called they want their fighting game back.
With the modern Street Fighter titles (if not just SF4), the only way to accomplish one-button combos of that nature is to go into the settings and bind practically every attack to one button.

The games don't really support those sorts of combos normally. They require just as much timing and skill as anything NetherRealms has produced.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
With the modern Street Fighter titles (if not just SF4), the only way to accomplish one-button combos of that nature is to go into the settings and bind practically every attack to one button.

The games don't really support those sorts of combos normally. They require just as much timing and skill as anything NetherRealms has produced.
It certainly didn't appear that way in that last MvC trailer, though to be fair I haven't touched a Capcom fighting game in quite a while. Always preferred Tekken, Killer Instinct and Midway's fighters in the arcades and more recent, the last Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Haven't played Injustice 2 yet but I plan on it when I can.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It certainly didn't appear that way in that last MvC trailer, though to be fair I haven't touched a Capcom fighting game in quite a while. Always preferred Tekken, Killer Instinct and Midway's fighters in the arcades and more recent, the last Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Haven't played Injustice 2 yet but I plan on it when I can.
C'mon; fighting game trailers almost always show perfect-scenario combo situations if/when they're showcasing the fighting. The MvC trailer was designed to be as flash as possible.

These games don't typically allow for one-button, 100-hit combos.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
C'mon; fighting game trailers almost always show perfect-scenario combo situations if/when they're showcasing the fighting. The MvC trailer was designed to be as flash as possible.

Completely agree. The only 100-hit combo I ever pulled off in a MvC game (or maybe "X-Men vs. Street Fighter" on Saturn?) was in training mode. I'm completely useless when it comes to anything involving ground-to-air combos or bouncing the enemy off the floor. One of the main reasons is the timing involved in Capcom fighting games. You can't just memorize a string of buttons like in "Tekken" or (worse) "Mortal Kombat", and you can't just chain special moves like in "Killer Instinct". You need to actually watch the timing, like in KoF or VF, sometimes down to one or two frames (i. e., 1/30 or 1/60 second). All those fancy combos one sees in trailers or during Evo matches are the result of months or even years of training as well as 10+ seconds of poking the enemy and positioning your fighter correctly.

That has always been part of the fun of it, though, ever since "Street Fighter II". Landing a "Touch of Doom" (I think) combo with Ken was ridiculously easy by modern standards, but back then, it was revolutionary. Oh, and I'm fairly certain 1-on-1 fighters were called "beat 'em ups" (or "Prügelspiel" in Germany:-) in the alt.games.sf2 days. Yup, just looked up some old reviews like this one from CVG: http://archive.org/stream/cvg-magazi.../n117/mode/2up
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #17
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Oh, and I'm fairly certain 1-on-1 fighters were called "beat 'em ups" (or "Prügelspiel" in Germany:-) in the alt.games.sf2 days. Yup, just looked up some old reviews like this one from CVG: http://archive.org/stream/cvg-
Looking up that term, looks like it translates slightly different in English and German. The two different wikis:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%E2%80%99em_up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%27em_up

The German wiki includes them both under the same label, and the English wiki makes a point of distinguishing between the two genres.

heh TIL.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

It was flashy alright. That trailer needed a seizure warning to be honest.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #19
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
The German wiki includes them both under the same label, and the English wiki makes a point of distinguishing between the two genres.

heh TIL.
Interesting! I didn't realize anyone besides me (I'm too old to learn anything new) called them that anymore! Then again, this German Wikipedia article isn't particularly well written, so I can't use it as proof that the term is still used today...

P.S.: Oh, and I meant to say that I thoroughly like KoFXIV, but I simply can't stand the baby-face visuals for the most part. Also, I'll never get good at modern SNK fighters, because I'm stuck in the Neo Geo times ("Fatal Fury: Special" in particular), so I just finished the story a couple of times for my favorite teams (great endings!) and called it a day...
Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t06Dkdg6fEo

Netherrrealm still has a long way to go before they can touch Capcom.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injustice 2, netherrealm, netherrealm studios, wb games