Last post by Jakadoo
Today 12:28 PM
19 Replies, 1,247 Views

Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #21
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
It looks like any Gerard Butler flop released in the last ten years.
Action movies have not been as good in the past few years. They lack character development and I think that's why we don't care about their feats. Also, they seem pretty invincible but without super powers. The action scenes might be cool, but without an interesting story and stakes for the characters, they don't work. They have the capability of destroying entire cities now, but it's just boring for the 100th time you see it.

Lara needs to do some tomb raiding and stop saving the world. This plot is overdone.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Action movies have not been as good in the past few years. They lack character development and I think that's why we don't care about their feats. Also, they seem pretty invincible but without super powers. The action scenes might be cool, but without an interesting story and stakes for the characters, they don't work. They have the capability of destroying entire cities now, but it's just boring for the 100th time you see it.
Its not like action movies have really ever had great character development, for the most part. People didn't watch Rambo for the character moments.

Quote:
Lara needs to do some tomb raiding and stop saving the world. This plot is overdone.
Have you played a Tomb Raider game? She did plenty of tomb raiding and world saving in most of them, especially the originals. I mean, someone was trying to create an army of mutants using ancient artifacts in the first game. Lara was the one who stopped them.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #23
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Its not like action movies have really ever had great character development, for the most part. People didn't watch Rambo for the character moments.

Have you played a Tomb Raider game? She did plenty of tomb raiding and world saving in most of them, especially the originals. I mean, someone was trying to create an army of mutants using ancient artifacts in the first game. Lara was the one who stopped them.
Chimp is right. I think the new thing isn’t movies and stories lacking “character development”, it’s the idea that “character development” is a thing that matters.

Personally, I think “character development” is highly overrated. In Raiders Of The Lost Arc, you know almost nothing about Indiana Jones or Marian. The only thing you know is a tiny bit about their shared history, and that’s enough. The actual meat of the film is about what they want and what they do to make that happen.

“I want that artifact because it belongs in a museum!’. Sounds reasonable to me. What more do I need to know? That the artifact waswas the last quest of his father and that getting it completes him as a person or some other contrived, cliche, pdime store subtext? Nah. That just wastes time.

If you have a character and you earnestly express why they want something, then as the adventure unfolds, subtext will present itself naturally.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #24
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I think people look at Rambo 2, 3, etc and see mindless action movies. But First Blood was pretty thought provoking for an action movie and it taught you a lot about what was going on inside John Rambo's head (and Will Teasle's too if you're really paying attention.) It's sort of like how people see the later Rocky movies and think they're all mindless but they forget how well written and acted Rocky 1 was. I think a lot of what makes these characters believable is intentional and well crafted and I don't think that's something you can count on to just happen naturally. You need the right actors and right directors to pull that off. And maybe that's part of our issue these days. Maybe we don't have that stable of leading man/leading lady actors and actresses that we had in the past that could really pull movies like this together. Maybe directors are too busy checking off boxes that meet marketing criteria to satisfy the money providers before they ever get around to making a great movie.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #25
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Yeah, sequels usually suck out the interesting parts and just focus on the action. A great example of this is Robocop, the first one is a great satirical piece, the sequels are not great movies, even though I liked the robot in the second one.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
Luncian
Death Knight

Meh.

(10 characters)
Luncian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I think people look at Rambo 2, 3, etc and see mindless action movies. But First Blood was pretty thought provoking for an action movie and it taught you a lot about what was going on inside John Rambo's head (and Will Teasle's too if you're really paying attention.) It's sort of like how people see the later Rocky movies and think they're all mindless but they forget how well written and acted Rocky 1 was. I think a lot of what makes these characters believable is intentional and well crafted and I don't think that's something you can count on to just happen naturally. You need the right actors and right directors to pull that off. And maybe that's part of our issue these days. Maybe we don't have that stable of leading man/leading lady actors and actresses that we had in the past that could really pull movies like this together. Maybe directors are too busy checking off boxes that meet marketing criteria to satisfy the money providers before they ever get around to making a great movie.
You’re very right, but I think one also has to remember that Rambo 1 wasn’t exactly an “action” movie and Rocky wasnt exactly a sports movie. I think that kind of holds true for most films. The film that created the genre wasn’t really full of the tropes that come to define that genre.

If they put out a new ‘action movie’ Rambo that was tonally the same as the first film, I think people would be disappointed and it wouldn’t be as popular.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #28
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Yeah, sequels usually suck out the interesting parts and just focus on the action. A great example of this is Robocop, the first one is a great satirical piece, the sequels are not great movies, even though I liked the robot in the second one.
I was just thinking earlier today how much I REALLY liked the new Robocop. That film got a bad rap. It’s very smart, I think,
Old 01-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
I may have to look into this Movie Pass thing. Can that be used on new releases?
Yes, it can be used on any *standard* movie at any day or time, even opening day. So no imax or 3D. I saw Star Wars on opening day, for example.

The trick is with most theaters you have to be within 100 meters of the theater to order a ticket so you take a chance if you go see a popular movie at a popular time, like a new release on a Friday or Saturday at 7 PM.

But if you go to the Saturday or Sunday 9 AM show you're almost sure to get a ticket. Or a Tuesday or Wednesday 6 or 7 PM showing.

As someone who is used to being able to reserve seats going back to the old way of having to actually be at the theater and fight for good seats is almost barbaric but for an average of $3 a movie now instead of $18 it has been worth it so far.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #30
BitCrash
Knight

I'll watch it ... looks more entertaining than any Fats and Furious or any Transformer ...

they made a rediculous amount of money, and I rather spend money on this one
BitCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #31
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
But if you go to the Saturday or Sunday 9 AM show you're almost sure to get a ticket. Or a Tuesday or Wednesday 6 or 7 PM showing.
Where the hell do you live (SD?) to not be able to get a movie ticket except for those time frames? One more on the list of innumerable reasons to move to the country!

I have seen more movies in the theater in the past three months than I did the previous three....even six...years. Ten bucks a month is amazing (I'm not doing the year sub for $90, because I think they may go under, lol, and you won't get your money back.).

BTW, if you're close to your theater, drop by the box office at its opening hour and buy tickets for your later show for that day. I've done that on several occasions. WIN!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #32
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Where the hell do you live (SD?) to not be able to get a movie ticket except for those time frames? One more on the list of innumerable reasons to move to the country!
In addition to a big ass naval station San Diego is home to a diverse population of about 3.5 million people of which nearly 40% are on government assistance (despite California having only 12% of the population). They have a lot of time on their hands and free money so it seems watching movies is important to them and for some movies on primetimes during the opening week it can be tough to get 1) Tickets and 2) Good seats. Statistically the best times to be able to be sure to drop in at the last minute and get seats if you are concerned about getting both 1 and 2 solved.

After the first week it is pretty much all gravy.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tomb raider