Yesterday 01:37 PM
21 Replies, 1,575 Views

Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #1041
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Liberal liars and the lies they lie.
Speaking of liberal lies, the Republican tax law was supposed to be the apocalyptic end of all things!

Federal tax revenues climbing. LOL!

Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office says that federal revenues in January added up to $362 billion. That's an increase of $18 billion— or 5.2% — from the year before. As a result, the government ran a surplus of $51 billion that month, which is equal to the previous January.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #1042
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Speaking of liberal lies, the Republican tax law was supposed to be the apocalyptic end of all things!

Federal tax revenues climbing. LOL!

They think they're being trolled when it's said they don't live in reality. Not even trolling, liberals simply don't live in reality and try and make it up as they go along, they don't care if it's the truth or not just as long as it paints their NWO handlers in a good light.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #1043
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

It doesn't help when the person you fired comes out the Sunday after and says "I ain't saying the economy is overvalued and should be heading into the shitter or anything, but it's overvalued and should be heading into the shitter."

Thanks Yellen!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #1044
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Blah Blah Blah Blah.

The market is up over 30% since Trump took office, the best since FDR. Get back to us all when it's dropped below where it started when he was inaugurated.

Liberal liars and the lies they lie.
I think we're having a very different discussion than the one you are having in your head, Terran. Heck, I wasn't even making a point with the market thing, just noticed how it was going and how people were talking about it. I mentioned Trump's comb-over failure in the rest of the post, so I can see why you would make that mistake though.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #1045
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
I think we're having a very different discussion than the one you are having in your head, Terran. Heck, I wasn't even making a point with the market thing, just noticed how it was going and how people were talking about it. I mentioned Trump's comb-over failure in the rest of the post, so I can see why you would make that mistake though.
Brings up stock market, gets proven to be wrong. Pretends he never brought up the stock market. Keep digging that hole of dishonesty and bullshit.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #1046
blackzc
Evil Dead

8 year bull run, the correction is Trumps fault.

I dont even care about the economy TBH, i want these fucking illegals out and immigration from non European countries cut to zero.

Boom bitches.

Neoconservativeism is communism. Git gud mufuggas
Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #1047
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
I think we're having a very different discussion
We are. I'm talking about reality, and liberals like you are talking about Trump's hair, the crumbs (lol, as if thousands of dollars for everyday folks equates to crumbs!) millions of taxpayers are gladly receiving due to the tax changes he passed, and the bogeyman of Trump colluding with Russia when the real collusion was between Obama, Clinton, and Russians instead.

You enjoy yourself. We'll be over --------------------------> here making laws, passing priorities, and placing conservative jurists all across the country.

GOD BLESS AMERICA; trigger a liberal!

USA...USA...USA...USA!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #1048
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

https://thefederalist.com/2018/02/12...olutely-hates/

Pretty much points it out. The MSM is no longer working for the people, just the progressive agenda. Celebrating a fucking nutjob who starves his own people.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #1049
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I love this one!
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #1050
Whimbrel
Subhuman

You love it because it is so idiotic or because you agree?

I can't tell what you are saying.

Is the guy you are quoting claiming that the paid shills are on the right, left, everywhere?
Whimbrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #1051
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimbrel View Post

Is the guy you are quoting claiming that the paid shills are on the right, left, everywhere?
Why do you think it's idiotic?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #1052
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

Its true. Now shut the fuck up.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 AM   #1053
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

The right wouldn't have an actual need, they're not the ones so fond of echo chambers.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #1054
Whimbrel
Subhuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Why do you think it's idiotic?
Venom, seriously? Here is the non-partisan answer, any set of statements that are factually incorrect, overly generalized based on personal experiences, and historically inaccurate should be at least held to a higher level of scrutiny before accepted as true. Now, obviously this is some guy's statement of his opinions, and there is nothing idiotic about that. We all do that. It is his right. I don't even have a problem with somebody loving this set of statements as an example of pure idiocy or as an example of their own embraced ideas. That's fine too. I just think the idea of anyone actually accepting this particular set of statements as valid is idiotic.

So, what is wrong with these particular statements. Well, the easiest way to exemplify it to somebody who sees things differently would be to simply flip the statements so the post reads like this, (although ambiguous, let's assume that the original author was referring to shills for the left in his final sentence):

"There's a general phenomenon I've noticed on the Internet. Any forum with free speech and little to no moderation becomes left wing. Conservative ideas cannot exist without censorship and moderation.

This is why we have started seeing armies of paid shills trying to flood spaces with their talking points."

I am sure you would agree with me that while valid as somebody's opinion, the above statements taken on their face would seem like some idiotic ramblings of a partisan hack who has lost the ability to think critically and whose standards for accepting evidence as true are way too low. Objectively, this would be an example of normal heuristics and biases, sensu Kahneman and Tversky run rampant.

We tend to overly generalize based on personal experiences.
We are more likely to make observations in contexts that are not controlled.
We preferentially recognize those things that confirm our previous beliefs, etc. None of those are partisan, but given that they are part of the human condition for perception and interpretation, to accept them uncritically is simply to embrace error.

Here is a more partisan example, this time with specific partisan trigger words:

"There's a general phenomenon I've noticed on the Internet. Any forum with free speech and little to no moderation becomes left wing. Conservative ideas cannot exist without paranoia and racism.

This is why we have started seeing armies of paid shills trying to flood spaces with their talking points."

In any case, a few responses to the original comments in the quoted image.

"general phenomenon" ..."Any forum with free speech".... Of all the forums with free speech and little to no moderation, how many were actually objectively observed? Enough to generalize across the "Internet"(sic)? ummmm. probably not.

However, let's say there is a pattern being observed. Is it because of the population most likely to participate in online political discussions in the few forums this person made a few observations or is it because of the ideology of the left? I think it is most likely the former.

Does this person actually know what the ideas of the left are? I doubt it. Just as no right wing racist admit to being racist, I have yet to see somebody on one of these forums do a good job expressing what the ideas of the left actually are. Sure, the right has labels and terms and acts as though those are good enough, but they usually miss the mark, so it is just self reinforcing nonsense.

Historically, there are many examples of leftist ideas that have existed just fine for centuries, just as some conservative ideas have. I think attempting to simplify it to the mechanisms of censorship and moderation for either ideology would be embarrassingly insipid. Thomas Jefferson fought for leftist ideas to contribute to the constitution. Is the only reason we have a constitution or know of Thomas Jefferson because of censorship? Would claiming that be idiotic? I think so.

Lastly, let's pretend that a typically paranoid conservative just escaped a marauding rampage of 3 to 5 million illegal immigrant Clinton voters and ducked into the nearest free speech zone on the Internet for some comfort only to find his racism and ignorance challenged by somebody who didn't share his views. "What!" idiot exclaims, "How can this be? The Jews will not replace us in this free speech zone!!!" The only way he can make sense of the fact that not everyone he encounters shares his views and agrees with him is to conclude that they are not actual, critically thinking individuals. Instead, he is "seeing armies of paid shills" flooding spaces. So, agree with him, true free speaking patriot, or friend of Russian interference in our sovereign elections, same thing at this point. Disagree with him, fake person, not valid ideas, just talking points, paid by people (anybody but Russians) who only want censorship and moderation and space floods.

With that kind of reasoning, the "observation" in the first sentence is simply a consequence of his ideology filter. Of course if you only count things as valid that agree with you and discount anything else, any time you observe things you will start witnessing a trend of things you consider valid more often as agreeing you. It's called confirmation bias. We all suffer from it, but to state it explicitly and then think your conclusions based on this are valid is as impressive as stating, "My calculator is completely broken but I think all the answers are right whenever I don't know how to do the math on my own."

Well, you might not see it, but it's pretty idiotic.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #1055
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Just saw my first paycheck since the tax changes. ~300 MORE per paycheck! yes!
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #1056
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
pretty idiotic.
Your post: tl;dr, summed up in your own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
OH NO! Why should you be allowed to have more of your own money? WHY?

I also saw an increase, but not to that degree. You appear to be doing pretty well for yourself; congratulations!

Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #1057
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
"There's a general phenomenon I've noticed on the Internet. Any forum with free speech and little to no moderation becomes left wing. Conservative ideas cannot exist without censorship and moderation.

What a weak as fuck attempt to flip the script dawg.

The online right wing movement is organic. The left wing one, is not. The right does not have paid shills, you fucking know this...Shareblue JDIF and CTR are real things. Find me one right wing shilling outfit. You cant, faggot.

The right does not censor. It will troll into oblivion, but hey if you cant handle the bantz..

Now discount my post because i called you a faggot, faggot.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #1058
Whimbrel
Subhuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post

Nice! (Thst was too short.)

Very nice!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #1059
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Venom, seriously? Here is the non-partisan answer, any set of statements that are factually incorrect, overly generalized based on personal experiences, and historically inaccurate should be at least held to a higher level of scrutiny before accepted as true. Now, obviously this is some guy's statement of his opinions, and there is nothing idiotic about that. We all do that. It is his right. I don't even have a problem with somebody loving this set of statements as an example of pure idiocy or as an example of their own embraced ideas. That's fine too. I just think the idea of anyone actually accepting this particular set of statements as valid is idiotic.
If it's not idiotic to hold this opinion, which you say it isn't, why is it idiotic to agree with this opinion -- which is holding an opinion itself.

Quote:
So, what is wrong with these particular statements. Well, the easiest way to exemplify it to somebody who sees things differently would be to simply flip the statements so the post reads like this, (although ambiguous, let's assume that the original author was referring to shills for the left in his final sentence):

I am sure you would agree with me that while valid as somebody's opinion, the above statements taken on their face would seem like some idiotic ramblings of a partisan hack who has lost the ability to think critically and whose standards for accepting evidence as true are way too low. Objectively, this would be an example of normal heuristics and biases, sensu Kahneman and Tversky run rampant.
Is it merely an example of biases? Oddly enough, this thread began with you noting that universities, which are by and large left-leaning institutions, were attempting to censor those not in agreement with them.

Quote:
We tend to overly generalize based on personal experiences.
We are more likely to make observations in contexts that are not controlled.
We preferentially recognize those things that confirm our previous beliefs, etc. None of those are partisan, but given that they are part of the human condition for perception and interpretation, to accept them uncritically is simply to embrace error.

Here is a more partisan example, this time with specific partisan trigger words:

"There's a general phenomenon I've noticed on the Internet. Any forum with free speech and little to no moderation becomes left wing. Conservative ideas cannot exist without paranoia and racism.

In any case, a few responses to the original comments in the quoted image.

"general phenomenon" ..."Any forum with free speech".... Of all the forums with free speech and little to no moderation, how many were actually objectively observed? Enough to generalize across the "Internet"(sic)? ummmm. probably not.
It would seem his caveat of "there is a general phenomenon I've noticed" notes that he's generalizing.

Quote:
However, let's say there is a pattern being observed. Is it because of the population most likely to participate in online political discussions in the few forums this person made a few observations or is it because of the ideology of the left? I think it is most likely the former.
For the portion in bold, how did you come to this conclusion, or are you generalizing, attempting to confirm your beliefs, basing it off your own personal experience, or something else you're saying should be avoided?

Quote:
Does this person actually know what the ideas of the left are? I doubt it. Just as no right wing racist admit to being racist, I have yet to see somebody on one of these forums do a good job expressing what the ideas of the left actually are. Sure, the right has labels and terms and acts as though those are good enough, but they usually miss the mark, so it is just self reinforcing nonsense.
I've seen right-wing racists admit to be racist, making your statement a generalization. Regardless, based upon what evidence are you doubting that this person doesn't know what the ideas of the Left are? Which Left are we speaking of, as the term, just like right-wing, is a generalization itself. When talking about these groups, generalizations are all but required, as there isn't true absolute uniformity in views.

Quote:
Historically, there are many examples of leftist ideas that have existed just fine for centuries, just as some conservative ideas have. I think attempting to simplify it to the mechanisms of censorship and moderation for either ideology would be embarrassingly insipid. Thomas Jefferson fought for leftist ideas to contribute to the constitution. Is the only reason we have a constitution or know of Thomas Jefferson because of censorship? Would claiming that be idiotic? I think so.
Many viewpoints which were once considered Leftist are not so today, with evidence of this seen with the very article you linked when you created this thread.

Quote:
Lastly, let's pretend that a typically paranoid conservative just escaped a marauding rampage of 3 to 5 million illegal immigrant Clinton voters and ducked into the nearest free speech zone on the Internet for some comfort only to find his racism and ignorance challenged by somebody who didn't share his views. "What!" idiot exclaims, "How can this be? The Jews will not replace us in this free speech zone!!!" The only way he can make sense of the fact that not everyone he encounters shares his views and agrees with him is to conclude that they are not actual, critically thinking individuals. Instead, he is "seeing armies of paid shills" flooding spaces. So, agree with him, true free speaking patriot, or friend of Russian interference in our sovereign elections, same thing at this point. Disagree with him, fake person, not valid ideas, just talking points, paid by people (anybody but Russians) who only want censorship and moderation and space floods.
No, but someone may have ducked the latest mob on a college campus that wanted them punish for not agreeing with them.

Quote:
With that kind of reasoning, the "observation" in the first sentence is simply a consequence of his ideology filter. Of course if you only count things as valid that agree with you and discount anything else, any time you observe things you will start witnessing a trend of things you consider valid more often as agreeing you. It's called confirmation bias. We all suffer from it, but to state it explicitly and then think your conclusions based on this are valid is as impressive as stating, "My calculator is completely broken but I think all the answers are right whenever I don't know how to do the math on my own."

Well, you might not see it, but it's pretty idiotic.
Don't you find it a bit ironic to discount the post - which I would think would be fair by itself alone - as you seem to fall into the same trap you're complaining about? How is his first sentence simply a consequence of his ideology filter? Why is your conclusion any more valid than the calculator scenario?

From the start of this thread:
Quote:
The sad part of all of this is that the partisanship and mistrust has gotten so bad that it is hard enough to build bridges even when you have an opportunity to hear somebody from different views speak. But to actively try to silence them?? Holy fuck! It's absolute madness. Isn't college supposed to be the ideal of intellectual freedom, an arena of ideas? It seems to me that somewhere along the way the culture of identity commodified the institution of learning as a platform for self aggrandizement and esteemed as worthless the idea that we should be challenging ourselves with new and different ideas without judgment. If this is what college is now, I don't want my kid to go.

Just to restate what should be obvious, liberals used to be about giving the little guy and the oppressed a voice and opposing tax cuts for the rich. But it is a sick perversion of those goals to decide to try to silence everyone else.
This sort of liberalism isn't confined to campus.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #1060
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nice! (Thst was too short.)

Very nice!
Still waiting for you to link me to some Right Wing shilling outfits. My dude.