Every Half-Life Game Is...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 11:57 PM
16 Replies, 676 Views

Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo: Gamers Growing Tired of Same Experiences

GameSpot is reporting that Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given a couple of reasons why he believes the game industry has been in a downturn over the past two years.

Quote:
One is that consumers have a higher psychological hurdle to paying a certain sum of money for software," Iwata said. He did not name this sum outright, but separately said today that selling $50-$60 titles has been a "challenge" of late.

"Many people attribute this to smart devices, but I don't think it is the only reason," he added. "We try to offer various kinds of software for a video game platform, and the games are improving steadily each year, but these improvements are becoming less noticeable. In short, what one platform can offer will eventually become saturated."

If the industry is to turn around, developers must create compelling titles to spur gamers to purchase hardware, Iwata said.

"I believe the future of the video game industry depends on the number of games developers release that consumers consider to be fresh and worth paying for," he said.
Thanks, Agnostic Pope.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Madden, FIFA and CoD disagree.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
shadow763
Lord of Woe

You are correct Iwata, I am sick of all the crap Nintendo puts out.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

In summation: "Consumers will only buy what they feel is worth paying for."

...astounding
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

I was about to say, doesn't Nintendo thrive off of the same experiences?

Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario in general. I mean, they all are the same experiences. I am just plan sick of Nintendo.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Agree with all posts above me and add rise of Steam,free2play , WiiU is underpowered ,gimmicky and while they sold a ton of Wii's most of them collected dust between a few first patry releases. So people may not be in a hurry to throw money at Nintendo again.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
bean19
Butt Stallion

Mario Galaxy was different - but you're correct that they barely innovate. I think it would hurt them if they did so much though as 90% of their business is based on nostalgia.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Mario Galaxy was different - but you're correct that they barely innovate. I think it would hurt them if they did so much though as 90% of their business is based on nostalgia.
Yes New IP's. Throw in a T or M rated IP in there too.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I think the "Same experience" thing is a bit of misdirection.

I think the meat of his comment is that people aren't willing to spend $60 for games any more because other platforms have pushed pricing downwards. Apps stores are to software, what outsourcing is to labor. Conventional devels are going to be pressured to reduce pricing in order to keep up with low app store pricing. Basically, it's a race to the bottom for software developers.

People in general are less and less willing to pay for software and in many cases free versions of software that are "good enough" are more than enough for people. I'm not really sure where it all is going. It's like independent developers will at some point become indentured servants to one or more app stores.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Talk about preaching to the choir...
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Nimos
Banned

What happened to the originality and creativity from Gamecube times:

Metroid Prime,
Eternal Darkness,
Batallion wars,
Rogue Squadron,
Wind waker,
Icaruga,
Killer 7,
Viewtiful Joe,
Beyond good and evil,
Tales of symphonia,
Baten Kaitos,
MGS : Twin Snakes,
Paper mario,
Pikmin

What ?
Nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimos View Post
What happened to the originality and creativity from Gamecube times:

Metroid Prime,
Eternal Darkness,
Batallion wars,
Rogue Squadron,
Wind waker,
Icaruga,
Killer 7,
Viewtiful Joe,
Beyond good and evil,
Tales of symphonia,
Baten Kaitos,
MGS : Twin Snakes,
Paper mario,
Pikmin

What ?
No doubt. Gamecube was a fantastic system.

Gamers are always tired of a game by the 3rd or 4th installment. Nintendo has actually done a pretty good job of keeping their IPs moving forward & keeping the gameplay as fresh as they can.

Mario Galaxy was one of those games that just felt like everything came together IMO - a real presentation.

Nintendo has always rehashed their titles, I can understand saying that people want something new (or with the Wii & WiiU, ANYTHING TO PLAY)... but I don't believe I've ever played a first party Nintendo Title & said "Ok this sucks - I'm done".

Still waiting on a good reason to get a WiiU... REALLY want to play Pikmin3, but not for that much money. I have hard disks to purchase!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Oh and lets not forget Blast Corps... goddamn was that a great game. Yes I know that was RARE. At least they were good when they had slant-eye by their side.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I think the meat of his comment is that people aren't willing to spend $60 for games any more because other platforms have pushed pricing downwards. Apps stores are to software, what outsourcing is to labor. Conventional devels are going to be pressured to reduce pricing in order to keep up with low app store pricing. Basically, it's a race to the bottom for software developers.
Accept that console sales aren't down at all. People keep SAYING that cheap handheld games are poaching from AAA console games, but the numbers don't show that. I think this is speculation that makes sense, so people repeat it like it is fact despite numbers that show it to be false.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Judas
Evil Dead

Nintendo......

Yes games cost too much on release.

Your hardware is innovative, but graphically a generation behind. Consumers want to watch black and white television as much as the want to play games in 480P and no ailiasing.

Rehashing old franchises is fine once in a decade, but to rely on mario and zelda for your BIG announcements and inclusion in any sports game shows some lack of creativity.

Consumers WANT to buy games. We don't want to revisit old graphics we saw 10 years or more ago, and we like your characters, but they do grow stagnant.

Please re-launch your Wii-U with a better chipset, and offer a compelling revamp for the adult market, the balloon text and sparkles does appeal to children, but your marketing to an older crowd now.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Having a strong IP leads to sequelitis in today's market because they're afraid to tarnish the IP/lose their current base. I'm only mentioning this because I don't think it's necessarily that gamers have to be tied of an IP on the third entry in a series, but many will be if no one's free to change the formula. Random example of awesome formula change: Resident Evil 4. Example of more of the same: tons of games this gen -- for ex. I started out a pretty big Gears fan (played a lot of mp in the first game), but by the fourth game or whatever, I couldn't have cared less. Gears isn't the best example because the gameplay is strong and fairly unique, but there are plenty of countless rehash games this gen, of course gamers are bored of them...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

"Gears isn't the best example because the gameplay is strong and fairly unique" meaning it's a niche title and I can understand them being afraid of losing the "feel", but there are so many IPs that can benefit from proper re-imaging. Remember how excited people were when there was talk of a realistic-looking Zelda game? Zelda is another bad example because it's so beloved. Hopefully something I said makes sense, heh.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
Doctorossi
Evil Dead

Every time Nintendo has a downturn, they start blathering on about "the industry's" downturn.

No, Nintendo- your downturn.
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Every time Nintendo has a downturn, they start blathering on about "the industry's" downturn.

No, Nintendo- your downturn.
No, right now its pretty much the entire industry. This always happens near the end of a console cycle.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

The industry is in a rather severe downturn going on 16+ months at this point, and I don't believe 'end of the cycle' (certainly one factor) explains it away and ushers in rainbows and unicorns with the advent of new hardware. I think there are a number of fundamental challenges facing the industry, some beyond their control (and not necessarily in any particular order):

* The economy sucks. Sure, stocks are raging (way to drive ANOTHER BUBBLE, Fed, with your money-printing idiocy), some key companies are thriving (way to AVOID TAXES, GE and others, while sucking at the federal teat!), but overall we're in the worst Western-world economy in nearly a century...3% or less GDP growth every year since 2005. Terrible. Gaming requires disposable income. More people have less of it.

* New-at-retail-pricing. It is unsustainable to price a piece of software at $40+ dollars when everyone knows that the same game can be had several months down the line (for most titles) at a substantial discount relative to initial retail, and often as a better experience (patched, often including extra content at no extra cost). Pay what you want, but I view it as foolish impulsivity to be unable to restrain from blowing $40-$60 today on something I can have for $10 or even less later, especially considering how many games I have already awaiting some attention and receiving none (backlog).

* Along with the previous point is the growing challenge from mobile platforms, which offer inexpensive gaming experiences that are, frankly, just fine for most people. No, they're not nearly as engaging and deep for dedicated gamers such as many of you or myself, and yes the controls on mobile platforms can be hit-or-miss (more often miss), but the reality is that mobile devices already have the attention of billions of people and are taking more people away from static/motionless screens (computer displays, televisions, and the computers/consoles displaying content on them) because that is where people are and what they are engaged with. Even I, at my rather advanced age, find myself untethered from the television and completely uninterested in the idea of sitting in front of it to play a game. I carry screens with me as I go about my business, and watch/play on the move more and more often.

* Same old same old IP. It seems that developers/publishers iterate and regurgitate, rather than create new content. Nintendo is extremely guilty of this. Much of their most impressive content goes back to its creation two to three decades ago.

I think the industry is powerless in the face of the economy, is stuck with a pricing model based upon the tens of millions that AAA titles cost to develop/market, is moving too slowly to take advantage of mobile platforms (in some corporate cases), and is afraid to spend tens of millions on new IP (too risky).

They're headed for a crash. Strap on your seatbelt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo