Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 01:25 PM
21 Replies, 1,180 Views

Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

EA Cancels Open-World Star Wars Game

Quote:
Electronic Arts has canceled its open-world Star Wars game, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the company. The game, announced alongside the shutdown of Visceral Games back in 2017, had been in development at EA’s large office in Vancouver.

EA Vancouver, a large studio that mostly handles support for a variety of the publisher’s games including FIFA and Battlefront, had been working on this open-world Star Wars game since October 2017, when EA closed Visceral Games. Until then, Visceral—best known for its popular Dead Space horror series—was developing its own Star Wars game. That project, code-named Ragtag, was a linear action-adventure game directed by Uncharted director Amy Hennig. EA Vancouver had been assisting on the project, and when EA closed Visceral Games on October 17, 2017, the Vancouver studio took it over.

But it wouldn’t be accurate to say that EA Vancouver’s Star Wars was the same game as Ragtag. When EA Vancouver took over, it rebooted this Star Wars project entirely, keeping some of the art assets but transforming it into an open-world game.

Now, that project is canceled, too.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Augustgold
Knight

I didn't even know this existed until now, the thought that we might get something even remotely close to Star Wars 1313 and they cancelled it is simply a tragedy.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
Snowbullet
Squire

There is some additional news:
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019...wars-game.html

Quote:
A later update by the author of the piece suggests that, while the major project may have been cancelled, the resources used to make it could be repurposed into something for a smaller game:
Quote:
EA Vancouver’s game was meant to be a story of a bounty hunter caught between multiple factions, and it seems like the “smaller-scale” project, which is currently planned to arrive in late 2020, will be a less ambitious version of the concept. The plus side is that nobody lost their jobs over the game’s cancellation, and those working on the new game are under the impression that the more ambitious take on the concept could be revived if the game that they are currently working on proves to be successful.
Snowbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

EA doesn't know what to do with the IPs it has. If it is not a mobile game or a multiplayer game they could mirotransaction the shit out of then they don't want it.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

EA is doing with Star Wars what they did to the NFL license. Pay a lot of money to a greedy company lock the IP up away from any one who may be able to do something creative with it then let it sit there and grow mold making shitty cookie cutter games. Disney is not being a good steward of the Star Wars IP in games or any other medium as far as I can tell.

If they had done their due diligence they would have foreseen this coming to pass with EA.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
actusoul
Evil Dead

How hard can it be to make a decent star wars game. Battlefront is not it. If someone/EA would make a game with the quality of "God of War" then they would make $$. It seems that when a company touches the star wars IP the games are terrible.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead

I miss the Empire at War franchise. Such a fun RTS game, nothing else really like it for that Star Wars space battle feel.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
How hard can it be to make a decent star wars game. Battlefront is not it.
Apparently really, really hard. To be fair some of the problem lies with the customer and expectations. Because we have HIGH expectations of a Star Wars game. However first developers have to give us a game that has SOME thought and care, with devotion to the universe, and not some agenda or sales mark as goal 1, 2, and 3 for their product.

It seems like this is where we end up with problems with most modern Star Wars games. I get the feeling no one starts out with the phrase "Wouldn't it be cool if while the battle for Yavin were happening a small group of..."

It seems like they start with the premise of "How can we fit a female lead..." or "Each game we make has to recoup $100m of the license fee in this fiscal year..." and they go from there.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
How hard can it be to make a decent star wars game. Battlefront is not it. If someone/EA would make a game with the quality of "God of War" then they would make $$. It seems that when a company touches the star wars IP the games are terrible.
If it was a game that focused on anything other than Jedi, I think many developers would have a relatively easy time putting together a fun game. Lightsabers, however, seem to create nothing but problems from a design standpoint. They're essentially infinitely sharp swords that can cut through anything and kill or delimb with a single hit; stuff like this tends to go against standard video game conventions, such as hit points, etc. Most of the time, they end up feeling more like glowing clubs or batons, as opposed to a lightsaber.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They're essentially infinitely sharp swords that can cut through anything and kill or delimb with a single hit
Unless you are Kylo Ren, in which case they only give you a little scratch on the face, or Finn where it will slice through your jacket and leave you with a bit of a wound on your back, like a nasty sunburn, which you will recover from in time to look like an idiot for in one of the worst sequences in the next movie.

Or if you are wearing some armor like Snoke's guards, then it can be deflected at times but not consistently enough to be sure if it can be deflected and actually build rules around how to construct armor that can deflect a lightsaber, just enough to keep the battle going, unless the action calls for it to not be deflected (just like when the action calls for you to lose your second knife through some sort of quantum disintegration so Rey can live).

Everything else a lightsaber will slice all the way through with the slightest of pressure.

Until JJ Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson, or any number of other new retards with their hands on the Star Wars franchise decide they need to employee one of the new Q-Tip style lightsabers that don't cut through anything serious. Sorry, I meant "Laser swords".

BUT I'M NOT BITTER!!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

You can spend millions licensing the IP, or you can spend millions creating a terrific game. You'll not often get both.

EA has made its decision: License the IP, skimp on the game itself. Simple corporate math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You can spend millions licensing the IP, or you can spend millions creating a terrific game. You'll not often get both.

EA has made its decision: License the IP, skimp on the game itself. Simple corporate math.
I wouldn't say skimp on the game as much as try to make it as profitable as possible. The game play for a battlefront was fun but the MTX system was getting double fisted by an elephant.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Translation: Electronic Arts has canceled its open-world Star Wars game because they could no longer incorporate loot boxes into it.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #14
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
If it was a game that focused on anything other than Jedi, I think many developers would have a relatively easy time putting together a fun game. Lightsabers, however, seem to create nothing but problems from a design standpoint. They're essentially infinitely sharp swords that can cut through anything and kill or delimb with a single hit; stuff like this tends to go against standard video game conventions, such as hit points, etc. Most of the time, they end up feeling more like glowing clubs or batons, as opposed to a lightsaber.
You make some valid points.

I would take a good SW game without jedi. Republic Commando ,shadows of the Empire, Xwing, ect.. It has been done before.

They could darks souls the light saber combat a bit. 1 or 2 hit kills ,but you die in one or 2 hits aswelll. You auto block blasterfire from enemies in front of you but you get surrounded or one gets behind you they can one shot ya.
Just a thought.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Likely couldn't shoehorn paid monetization the way they wanted to so it got canned. Par for the course with Electronic Arts now. When they go under for continuing to do game development this way it'll be a wonderful day for gamers.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
blackzc
Evil Dead

I said this like 3 years ago, and ill say it again.

Star Wars is going to be the death EA.....(Although SJW-ism might actually do it)

Its impossible to make a star wars game that will appeal to the number of people needed to make money. I like Star Wars, i like video games. But the two things together are like oil and water. Every SW game ever has been, meh to sucks ass.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Whatcha smokin' there Willis? KOTOR was absolutely EPIC. Battlefront was also great fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #18
LostToys
Evil Dead

Really, all they need to do is remake the Shadow of the Empire, X-Wing/Tie Fighter/Alliance and Jedi Knight games, and they have the ability to print money. Make another KOTOR without the MMO and you printed all the money in the world.

Quote:
I think this is where the Force Unleashed lost everyone. You were too powerful all the time, which people are not expecting nor wanting from a Star Wars game. Look at games like Knights of the Old Republic (RPG) and Jedi Knight where the Lightsaber may have been more effective in combat, if you could get close enough to the target, but was not something that executed single hit kills. All you really need to do is make sure that the killing blow with the lightsaber has a satisfying impact, such as limps being cut off or bodies being sliced in half.

Look at something like Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise. Not every move that Kenshiro does results in a bloody explosion of heads and limbs, but his final hits, even when you do not engage the over the top finishing moves, does. So the over the top payoff and excess of power level are shown at the end of combat, and not required in the moment to moment gameplay.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #19
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Battlefront was also great fun.

Is that why i picked up a copy of BF 2 for 4$ new, that i later threw in the garbage? Is that why no one is playing it?

It sucked. And the E- begging for money made it suck even worse.

Great fun. What is your deal?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Every SW game ever has been, meh to sucks ass.
This is just so wrong I don't know where to begin...
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars