Last post by GinRummy
Today 06:45 AM
8 Replies, 501 Views

Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #21
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I'm pretty sure this concerns all publishers, but of course, smaller ones (and some developers, see CD Projekt Red) are hit harder. It's a no-win situation, really. If you spend... say, 50 million dollars on creating a game that sells 3 million units worldwide, you are relying on selling the game at full price, or you will not break even. There are several ways to deal with cheaply re-sold keys, but none of them is a winner:

1. Don't do a PC version. The version for the self-proclaimed "PC Master Race" causes the most work and brings in the least money, anyway. Alternatively, you can delay the PC release for a year or so (GTA). Sucks if you're specializing on PC genres (CRPGs, RTS etc.) though...
2. Don't sell the game in Russia or Eastern Asia. If you don't create cheap keys for Indonesia, they can't be sold on GMG or eBay. Sucks to be poor or live in a poor country, doesn't it?
3. Stop creating games like "Fallout", "Assassin's Creed", "Total War" or "Tomb Raider" altogether. If people don't want to pay for AAA titles, why spend money on creating them? The "Goat Simulator" is doing just fine!
4. Hard-region-lock the keys (and I mean something that can't be circumvented with a proxy or whatever sites the resellers set up). The "fan" backlash, orchestrated or organic, will kill you...

So, which option would you prefer?
Industry can employ whatever legal loopholes (ownership rights, DLC, Broken/barebones games) and tactics they like to squeeze as much money out of the consumer as possible.

Consumer can NOT employ what's legally available to them to get the best deals possible?

Okay.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 11-22-2015 at 05:35 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #22
Terran
Evil Dead

Exactly. If they don't want variable pricing on keys, DON'T SELL KEYS TO RETAILERS AT VARYING PRICES! And if a retailer wants to sell the key at a loss to themselves, all I can say is "THANKS!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Exactly. If they don't want variable pricing on keys, DON'T SELL KEYS TO RETAILERS AT VARYING PRICES! And if a retailer wants to sell the key at a loss to themselves, all I can say is "THANKS!"
So it's option 2 then. As I said, it's perfectly viable, but you'll be hated for it by a large part of the world's population.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised to see this answer from you, of all people. What was the last 50-dollar game you bought?

Edit: Whoops, sorry. I thought you were replying to Patrick, but re-reading it, it seems you were agreeing with me.

Last edited by Scherge; 11-22-2015 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: See above. Also changed pricing because of PC.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
So it's option 2 then. As I said, it's perfectly viable, but you'll be hated for it by a large part of the world's population.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised to see this answer from you, of all people. What was the last 50-dollar game you bought?

Edit: Whoops, sorry. I thought you were replying to Patrick, but re-reading it, it seems you were agreeing with me.
And I entirely misread your post, and don't disagree with anything you've said, either. Oops, sorry.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #25
Anemone
Evil Dead

I wanna pickup Fallout 4 during this.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #26
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

The new "No more flash!" model as experienced during the Thanksgiving sale was for me, as expected, bleh. Sure enough I was there for day 1, and then not again. For the first time in years, I am no longer looking forward to a Steam Christmas sale.

Tags
steam, steam bankrupted me, steam deal, steam sale