sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

17 things you missed in the Eichenwalde trailer that will have absolutely no impact on anything, because despite how desperately Blizzard wants this game to have a larger narrative...it will never be able to support any sort of narrative whatsoever in its current form.

The only reason the "story" of TF2 worked was because it was beyond absurd and surreal; none of it affected the game in any capacity whatsoever, so they decided to weave a tale of insanity that - while somehow making sense as a narrative - didn't pretend to be anything more than it was.

Overwatch's narrative pretends to be important, but it's effectively meaningless in the context of the game as it currently stands.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Isn't this game simply an online multiplayer shooter? What role would a story have to play in that at all? The only role I can think of would be as marketing, which may well be the purpose. Or perhaps Blizzard is simply trying to keep some talented animators and writers gainfully occupied between assignments where they're actually need without losing them to another company through layoffs?!?
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Isn't this game simply an online multiplayer shooter? What role would a story have to play in that at all? The only role I can think of would be as marketing, which may well be the purpose. Or perhaps Blizzard is simply trying to keep some talented animators and writers gainfully occupied between assignments where they're actually need without losing them to another company through layoffs?!?
They desperately want the game to have a narrative...but it will never, ever reflect anything actually occurring within the game. As it stands, it provides the game with a sense of false depth, implying there's much more going on than there actually is.

They want to tell a story with these characters, but they can't with the way the game is made. It's a shame, because they've created a number of great characters and a fun (if not generic) setting for them to exist in.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Goose
Death Knight

Lightbulb

Firming up the background gives context to all the in-game quips
Old 08-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They desperately want the game to have a narrative...but it will never, ever reflect anything actually occurring within the game. As it stands, it provides the game with a sense of false depth, implying there's much more going on than there actually is.

They want to tell a story with these characters, but they can't with the way the game is made. It's a shame, because they've created a number of great characters and a fun (if not generic) setting for them to exist in.
Perhaps all of this story was already written as a part of Titan? Maybe they'll release another Overwatch game within the same setting of another gametype.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
17 things you missed in the Eichenwalde trailer that will have absolutely no impact on anything, because despite how desperately Blizzard wants this game to have a larger narrative...it will never be able to support any sort of narrative whatsoever in its current form.

Overwatch's narrative pretends to be important, but it's effectively meaningless in the context of the game as it currently stands.

I do not understand the hate. I guess your right in a sense, the story has no real bearing on the overall gameplay. But, to say there isn't a larger narrative? IDK dude.

CGI shorts, comics, clues in the maps and pre game quips? Color me excited for them to continue too not "support any sort of narrative," because they are somehow failing to keep me uninterested in the story.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
Scherge
Evil Dead

Things that you missed in the trailer: The traffic signs, while faithful recreations of individual German signs, are absolutely nonsensical. Just like the game's "narrative". I don't understand why it's so hard to respect architecture (in the broadest sense) in games.

Edit: Don't know if this was - by some infinitesimally small chance - mentioned in the video. I'm not clicking on YouTube videos with circles and arrows, on principle.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 AM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Things that you missed in the trailer: The traffic signs, while faithful recreations of individual German signs, are absolutely nonsensical.
Explain! Explain!
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:54 AM   #11
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Explain! Explain!
Yeah, I know it's silly, but these things annoy me. I loved the realization of the photo mode in "Gran Turismo 5" where you could see completely unspectacular, but 100-percent realistic snippets from (German, among others) cities.

This overwatch trailer shows an abandoned city with fantasy elements and a seemingly intact medieval castle. What do you need those traffic signs for? To date the game (as in, this is not Indiana Jones' Brunwald Castle in the 1930s)? Maybe the arrows pointing straight at walls hint at secret passageways?

I'm not going to watch that pointless trailer again, but the pub names didn't make sense either. And they're not funny, they're just plain dumb. I don't get it. Blizzard is not some indie developer without connections or money. The company has almost unlimited resources. Why not have a single person from Activision Blizzard Germany look over these things and correct them?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 AM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

... you ... you managed to explain nothing. What is nonsensical about the signs? That they were knocked into the wrong direction during a street battle? That they direct traffic just like one would expect in a town that kept its charm even as technology grew to include revolutionary things such as cars? That it looks like the signs in a fictionalized version of Füssen?
Quote:
*Not in context
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 AM   #13
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
... you ... you managed to explain nothing. What is nonsensical about the signs? That they were knocked into the wrong direction during a street battle? That they direct traffic just like one would expect in a town that kept its charm even as technology grew to include revolutionary things such as cars? That it looks like the signs in a fictionalized version of Füssen?
Sorry, I didn't think you were serious. Well, if you must know: There are one-way-street signs pointing in both directions (00:16), there are one-way-street signs pointing left/right, sitting directly above "you're only allowed to proceed straight" signs (00:18), which, consequently, usually point directly into a wall. Also at 00:18, there's a "no entry" sign above a "traffic calming zone" (a pedestrian zone that's free for cars, don't know the translation), which doesn't make sense. One of the restaurants is called "Uhrenkeller" ("clock cellar"), which miiight work but sounds like nothing a German would call his pub. More (the same?) one-way-street signs at 00:32. Another tavern is called "Brauerei Mittagskrug" ("brewery noon tankard") which doesn't even begin to make sense. The rest of the trailer shows interiors or repeated scenes.

In short, Blizzard only used 5 signs (there's "bikes permitted" in addition to the ones mentioned above) and plastered them all over the town, without even looking at the level geometry.

P.S.: Füssen is a good call. I'd expect a lot more "no parking" signs, though.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Perhaps all of this story was already written as a part of Titan? Maybe they'll release another Overwatch game within the same setting of another gametype.
The game, while birthed out of Titan, isn't really related to Titan according to everything Blizzard has said (which really isn't much). For example, the gameplay concepts behind Tracer came out of Titan, but Tracer wasn't really a character in Titan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTribe View Post
I do not understand the hate. I guess your right in a sense, the story has no real bearing on the overall gameplay. But, to say there isn't a larger narrative? IDK dude.

CGI shorts, comics, clues in the maps and pre game quips? Color me excited for them to continue too not "support any sort of narrative," because they are somehow failing to keep me uninterested in the story.
They're trying to put together a larger narrative for the game, but the narrative is never really part of the game; it exists outside of it in the form of shorts, comics, etc...but it never has any contact or connection to the game outside of minor references or quips from the characters. The game, as it is structured, does not support a narrative. Everything they're creating as part of the overall story has absolutely no bearing on anything that occurs within the game whatsoever. None of it matters and it's a massively missed opportunity.

Ultimately, this is why I'm pissed off about Overwatch; they've created an interesting (but very generic) story and cast of characters...and it's all going to waste in a multiplayer shooter than simply cannot support anything even remotely close to a legitimate story due to it's structure. The story they're crafting has no bearing on the game or anything that occurs within it.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Sorry, I didn't think you were serious. Well, if you must know: There are one-way-street signs pointing in both directions (00:16), there are one-way-street signs pointing left/right, sitting directly above "you're only allowed to proceed straight" signs (00:18), which, consequently, usually point directly into a wall. Also at 00:18, there's a "no entry" sign above a "traffic calming zone" (a pedestrian zone that's free for cars, don't know the translation), which doesn't make sense. One of the restaurants is called "Uhrenkeller" ("clock cellar"), which miiight work but sounds like nothing a German would call his pub. More (the same?) one-way-street signs at 00:32. Another tavern is called "Brauerei Mittagskrug" ("brewery noon tankard") which doesn't even begin to make sense. The rest of the trailer shows interiors or repeated scenes.

In short, Blizzard only used 5 signs (there's "bikes permitted" in addition to the ones mentioned above) and plastered them all over the town, without even looking at the level geometry.
Thank you! That's all I wanted to know. I don't speak German and the smart one in the household is off researching how to save the world. Probably from me.

Quote:
P.S.: Füssen is a good call. I'd expect a lot more "no parking" signs, though.
It's a fictionized German castle. Of course it's based on Neuschwanstein!
Quote:
*Not in context

Tags
blizzard, eichenwalde, oveerwatch, pc gaming