4 Replies, 556 Views

Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

EvAv Reminder: Deadwood 5-31-19

Click the headline for the trailer.
Via IGN
Quote:
Roughly 13 years after HBO canceled the award-winning series, Deadwood is finally getting the proper conclusion its creators, cast and fans have long waited for in the form of a two-hour feature film, premiering May 31 on HBO. It’s scripted by series creator David Milch and directed by Dan Minahan.

Set a decade after the final episode, Deadwood: The Movie picks up in 1889 as South Dakota becomes the 40th state in the Union. A U.S. Senator has come to Deadwood to commemorate this momentous occasion … George Ambrose Hearst.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Awesome!

I Loved the show. I walked into it maybe 4 years ago, blindly. Never saw or heard of it. Loved it, and was completely disappointed they didn't finish it. Glad they're giving it an ending.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Awesome!

I Loved the show. I walked into it maybe 4 years ago, blindly. Never saw or heard of it. Loved it, and was completely disappointed they didn't finish it. Glad they're giving it an ending.
I came to the show late too (about 8 years ago), but damn it is good!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Juan
Evil Dead

In my mind it's one of the best tv shows ever but then i started watching it again last month and it's aged really badly. That said i'm going to go see the movie for sure.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
In my mind it's one of the best tv shows ever but then i started watching it again last month and it's aged really badly. That said i'm going to go see the movie for sure.
I'm rewatching too, but I still think it's great. How has it not aged well for you?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I've watched it a few times and thought it aged pretty well, of course the last time was probably 3 or 4 years ago. I can't wait for the movie to give it a real ending and revisit some of these characters.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I don't see how a western can age. Really?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
wunshot
Subscriber

I've watched it a few times as well. Love that show. I read it was cancelled because it was considered "too expensive" to produce. That was in a time before GoT though...Makes me wonder if they could potentially give it another run (if they don't kill off the main characters in the movie). Can't wait to check it out.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I've watched it a few times and thought it aged pretty well, of course the last time was probably 3 or 4 years ago. I can't wait for the movie to give it a real ending and revisit some of these characters.
Last time I watched it, I didn't think the show had aged poorly, but the excessive profanity that seemed funny at the time now seems mostly just excessive.

Other than that, still great.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Watched the movie this morning. It did a nice job of taking all of Season 3 and kinda spoon-feeding it back to you again -- without giving you a conclusion that was any better than Season 3.

If they were planning to bring it back as a series, it would be a good opening movie. As a stand-alone movie or as a "finale" it left a lot to be desired.

It was great to see everyone back, but I question the choice to make all the actors appear even older than they are. We have seen Ian McShane looking better in American Gods and Timothy Olyphant looking better in The Santa Clarita Diet. Almost everyone in the movie looks much older than they do in other movies. Odd choice. I know it's been 10 years, but the characters all look like they aged 20.

If HBO was testing the waters for a revival, good start. Otherwise, I'm not sure what they were going for.

Lets hope it is them thinking of a revival series.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
wunshot
Subscriber

I just got home from a bachelor party weekend and the first thing I did was settle down to watch Deadwood. In short, I really liked it, and halfway through I couldn't help but think that this was just a litmus test to see if the show still has legs. They used to say this show was "too expensive" to continue producing, but that was pre-GoT (and the massive budget it entailed). Now that GoT is over I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they brought back Deadwood.

Best line of the whole movie? "Woo. You feed that fuck to the pigs".

I agree with EA...hopefully they revive the show.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

You do have to wonder if this is a test run, they cocked up Westworld so bad that I don’t know if it can be fixed, but they could easily bring back Deadwood or do another western series.

Of course, if they were smart they would dump the current westworld showrunners and start out Season 4 with Teddy getting off the train again now that the park is back in operation.

After all, the Man in Black is still alive in the real world, it was only the software version of him that got trapped in an electronic hell.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #14
Juan
Evil Dead

I watched it yesterday and it was possibly the strangest movie i have ever seen. It really struggled with expected problems around not remembering who anyone was or what happened 10 years ago. However the biggest problem is that the plot is incredibly thin. Bad guy kills a single good guy who you don't remember and everyone is upset. That's it.

It felt like a bad xmas special to a show you used to love. No bad per se, just very unmemorable.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead

The talk of a revival is pointless too as they kill of the best character. The show is nothing without Al.

Tags
deadwood, hbo