0 Replies, 1,169 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo Switch Leads US Hardware Sales Again In April

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Ahead of tomorrow's release of the NPD Group sales report for April in the US, Nintendo has shared some of the big news regarding Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Citing NPD data, Nintendo said that Switch sales topped 280,000 units in the US during April, making it the month's No. 1 system. It's the second month in a row that's been the case, as it was also the top seller during its debut month of March. Sales would likely be even higher if Switch weren't facing supply issues, which GameStop has previously said may last for the entire year.

Nintendo also noted that the 3DS family of systems combined to sell more than 68,000 units during the same span. The combined Switch and 3DS sales of 348,000-plus "make up almost half of all hardware sales across all dedicated video game systems," according to NPD data.

On the software side, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was the month's top-selling game, with over 460,000 physical copies sold. Bear in mind, the game only launched on April 28, and the NPD's report for April only tracked sales through April 29. Combined with digital sales, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe topped 550,000 units sold.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

heh-heh-heh.

Here kitty-kitty-kitty! Where are you, Spectral?

But really, congrats to Nintendo. Solid 1st party games thus far on their fully mobile platform. Better have some big guns at E3, though.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Good job! I'll be more impressed if the Switch can do this in month number six and seven, but still a good job!

Also, very impressive: "The combined Switch and 3DS sales of 348,000-plus "make up almost half of all hardware sales across all dedicated video game systems," according to NPD data." That's something right there.

Of course, there are 18-odd million smartphones sold per month in North America, but...good job, Nintendo on selling about a day's worth of smartphone sales in your month!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Julio
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

Of course, there are 18-odd million smartphones sold per month in North America, but...good job, Nintendo on selling about a day's worth of smartphone sales in your month!
I usually agree with your comments terran but this one is just dishonest.

You are comparing apple to oranges just to downplay consoles as a whole in an effort to discredit Nintendo's success.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
...just to downplay consoles as a whole in an effort to discredit Nintendo's success.
Moi? Do that? NO WAY!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Julio
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Moi? Do that? NO WAY!
Got me! :S
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
ashikenshin
Subscriber

PC is better anyway
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #8
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Moi? Do that? NO WAY!

That said, sound like to me:

And I would dare even say:

Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Old 05-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

LOL. Nintendo fans celebrating! You deserve your moment.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 AM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Wake me in 8 months if they still only have a title or two anyone gives a shit about, and their hardware isn't rotting on store shelves. Course knowing Nintendo they'll likely be pushing the next DS replacement by then and abandoning the Switch.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Wake me in 8 months if they still only have a title or two anyone gives a shit about, and their hardware isn't rotting on store shelves. Course knowing Nintendo they'll likely be pushing the next DS replacement by then and abandoning the Switch.
There will be at least six solid retail releases over the next 8 months...not that it actually matters to you. You're still pretending this launch is unique, in terms of available software.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Disgaea 5 Complete already has 120,000+ preorders for the Switch. Not bad for a really niche title, pre launch.

Splatoon 2
ARMS
NBA2k18
Skyrim (Fully mobile Special Edition)
Super Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Those are enough of an addition to what they've already done/released to keep the momentum up for the next 8 months. I've little doubt that will happen.

My question is, what do they have to show at E3? What's coming next year and the year after that. That's still the biggest mystery with the Switch. Over the next 8 months? I think it'll be the same story we're seeing now. After the next 8 months is the real question, imo.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Disgaea 5 Complete already has 120,000+ preorders for the Switch. Not bad for a really niche title, pre launch.

Splatoon 2
ARMS
NBA2k18
Skyrim (Fully mobile Special Edition)
Super Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Those are enough of an addition to what they've already done/released to keep the momentum up for the next 8 months. I've little doubt that will happen.

My question is, what do they have to show at E3? What's coming next year and the year after that. That's still the biggest mystery with the Switch. Over the next 8 months? I think it'll be the same story we're seeing now. After the next 8 months is the real question, imo.
Who's going to honestly buy an inferior version of a sports title on the Switch? Ooh Skyrim! What is that game 7 years old now? And another Mario rehash how innovative. Yeah I fail to see how anyone outside of the Nintendo hardcore really gives a shit about any of the titles you listed.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Who's going to honestly buy an inferior version of a sports title on the Switch? Ooh Skyrim! What is that game 7 years old now? And another Mario rehash how innovative. Yeah I fail to see how anyone outside of the Nintendo hardcore really gives a shit about any of the titles you listed.
There really isn't a goddamned point in talking about this with you; anything presented is going to be immediately dismissed as "unworthy" based upon whatever criteria you feel like dredging up.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #16
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Citing NPD data, Nintendo said that Switch sales topped 280,000 units in the US during April, making it the month's No. 1 system.
I would love to know who they are selling them to and, more importantly, who is selling them. I haven't seen one for sale since release other than by 3rd party scalpers. I wonder how much of that number is scalpers, and I wonder how many units those scalpers have actually been able to move?

Nintendo's practice of low production is a scalper's paradise.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
I would love to know who they are selling them to and, more importantly, who is selling them. I haven't seen one for sale since release other than by 3rd party scalpers. I wonder how much of that number is scalpers, and I wonder how many units those scalpers have actually been able to move?

Nintendo's practice of low production is a scalper's paradise.
There's hundreds of thousands of scalpers!

When the Switch hits the 30 million mark - "I wonder how many of those were scalpers?"

50 million mark - "Scalpers".

Apparently scalpers have been buying up a ton of software, too.

Scalpers will single-handedly fund Nintendo into success. No wonder Nintendo loves scalpers.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I'd easily argue the opposite. Who would honestly buy an inferior version of NBA2k18, where you're stuck to your living room TV playing it. Suckers. They're born every minute.

The numbers are already starting to prove you wrong. I'll continue to meet you right here over the next 8 months. I wonder who will get the last laugh. Gee, I have no idea, it's going to be too close to call. I can't even. guess. who. will. get the last laugh. Time will tell.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 05-18-2017 at 11:06 AM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #19
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Console wars! srs bsns!
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #20
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
There's hundreds of thousands of scalpers!

When the Switch hits the 30 million mark - "I wonder how many of those were scalpers?"

50 million mark - "Scalpers".

Apparently scalpers have been buying up a ton of software, too.

Scalpers will single-handedly fund Nintendo into success. No wonder Nintendo loves scalpers.
Dude chill. I didn't credit the 200+ units to scalpers, I just wondered how many of those sales were due to scalpers. And by the way, do you have those numbers? If not, how can you claim one way or the other? I certainly didn't.

I also never said that Nintendo loves scalpers. It's the other way around.

I don't mind debating this topic, just please don't twist my words.

Tags
mario kart 8 deluxe, nintendo, nintendo switch, switch