Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 02:30 PM
19 Replies, 979 Views

Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #21
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
So you ARE saying NIntendo are world class developers! Got it.
Hardly, Nintendo's visuals in their own Switch games aren't anything to call home about. That Adventure of Link remake looks dreadful visually just as one example. BOTW with it's washed out textures, Mario Kart with it's Wii visuals. You get the idea I'm sure. Nintendo just has no desire to push the envelop beyond a new gimmick every console cycle. This time it's mobile gaming, last time it was Wii motes.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #22
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Hardly, Nintendo's visuals in their own Switch games aren't anything to call home about. That Adventure of Link remake looks dreadful visually just as one example. BOTW with it's washed out textures, Mario Kart with it's Wii visuals. You get the idea I'm sure. Nintendo just has no desire to push the envelop beyond a new gimmick every console cycle. This time it's mobile gaming, last time it was Wii motes.
Hear that industry/Terran? He called mobile gaming a gimmick!

I did hate the wii motes though. Absolute nonsense garbage imo.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hear that industry/Terran? He called mobile gaming a gimmick!

I did hate the wii motes though. Absolute nonsense garbage imo.
Launching a "console" that doubles as a tablet is a gimmick, stop being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:14 AM   #24
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I don't use my Switch much, but I like the idea. I would love it if it were possible to make a portable device like the Switch, but make it as powerful as the Xbox One X or at least PS4 Pro, and have a 4K screen. Yeah, that would cost too much, but that doesn't change the fact that I wish it were an option. It would get me excited to consider buying the latest games on it rather than another console or PC. If I could get the same games, in high graphical quality, and be able to take them with me wherever I go, why wouldn't I buy them on the portable high end device?

This is the inevitable future. 30-50 years from now (hopefully less), your PC will be the size of your phone, and when you are home you can stick it in a dock of some kind. You can see companies already toying with the idea, such as the Samsung Dex and the ASUS ROG phone. Having portability without losing the power is the next frontier. Obviously we won't have tower desktop PC's forever.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:11 AM   #25
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Having portability without losing the power is the next frontier. Obviously we won't have tower desktop PC's forever.

I joke, but I kinda hoped that was the direction Nintendo was going with the Switch in the first place. Something with the power of a PS4/Xbone with the portability of a handheld.

It does seem like the only way for these companies to go in the future.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Actual desktop PC's aren't going anywhere. Hate to burst the dream bubble.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #27
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Gabe Newell
Nintendo
Steam
Mobile Consoles
Mobile Gaming
Half-Life
Zelda
Indies
Metroidvanias
Cel Shading
Colorful
Optimistic
Happy
Solidarity
Fellow Man
California
Kids
Older People
Dogs

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #28
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Gabe Newell
Nintendo
Steam
Mobile Consoles
Mobile Gaming
Half-Life
Zelda
Indies
Metroidvanias
Cel Shading
Colorful
Optimistic
Happy
Solidarity
Fellow Man
California
Kids
Older People
Dogs

Your posts are making less and less sense lately, if you want to try and troll people, perhaps you should actually get good at it first.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #29
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I joke, but I kinda hoped that was the direction Nintendo was going with the Switch in the first place. Something with the power of a PS4/Xbone with the portability of a handheld.

It does seem like the only way for these companies to go in the future.
The future will be in Microsoft'/Googles' hands, then. If you push for everything to be done in the cloud, such as what MS is doing by turning their inventory of Xbox One S boards into server blades, they will be able to stream "full" console quality games to any device with a solid internet connection.

So it becomes less about the hardware capabilities of your portable device, and more about the inherent qualities of its display and internet connection.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #30
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
The future will be in Microsoft'/Googles' hands, then. If you push for everything to be done in the cloud, such as what MS is doing by turning their inventory of Xbox One S boards into server blades, they will be able to stream "full" console quality games to any device with a solid internet connection.

So it becomes less about the hardware capabilities of your portable device, and more about the inherent qualities of its display and internet connection.
With how many delays Crackdown 3 had, and how many features they had to strip from it to get it to run at a decent frame rate, I don't see Games from the magical cloud going very far very soon.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #31
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:

I agree, this is the other option that we are heading towards: Everything streaming.

I'd rather have the powerful device myself, but I'll probably be a senior citizen by the time this stuff really matures so I plan to catch up on my backlog at that time.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #32
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
With how many delays Crackdown 3 had, and how many features they had to strip from it to get it to run at a decent frame rate, I don't see Games from the magical cloud going very far very soon.
A lot of people just like the idea of being able to play something anywhere, even if it is at a lower quality. Look at how many people are buying Switch ports when they already have the game on PC simply because they can take it where they go. How how many people stream movies when physical discs are still substantially better.

We are quickly becoming consumers of quantity, not quality, and as long as someone provides a service that is accessible on the most devices and is cheap, like Game Pass, then you will see a lot of movement to that service.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
A lot of people just like the idea of being able to play something anywhere, even if it is at a lower quality. Look at how many people are buying Switch ports when they already have the game on PC simply because they can take it where they go. How how many people stream movies when physical discs are still substantially better.

We are quickly becoming consumers of quantity, not quality, and as long as someone provides a service that is accessible on the most devices and is cheap, like Game Pass, then you will see a lot of movement to that service.
While I don't disagree with you it doesn't make any of it good, and most people are stupid in general and will buy crap for the sake of it being mobile or streamable.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #34
shadow763
Lord of Woe

People are inherently lazy and like the path of least resistance. Current trends reinforce all of this.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #35
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
While I don't disagree with you it doesn't make any of it good, and most people are stupid in general and will buy crap for the sake of it being mobile or streamable.
Why does this make people stupid? It's entertainment. If people want something more convenient, what's the problem? Are people who have old video cardsor CPUs stupid if they really don't feel like messing around with upgrading their PC now? Why does someone have to play a game at the absolute highest settings? My parents have a 1080p TV and aren't paying their cable provider the extra $10 per month for HD channels. I've explained it to them and showed them the difference and they flat out don't care. To them, it's just not worth the $10. It doesn't make them stupid though.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #36
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
People are inherently lazy and like the path of least resistance. Current trends reinforce all of this.
Generally I agree. I probably fit that statement along with most of us. But I also have certain places where that doesn't fit, such as building PC's, alphabetizing my games and comics into perfect organization, maintaining a pristine yard, collecting physical media, etc.

I can only assume most people are similar, where they "go with the flow" for the most part, but still have their own caveats that cut against the grain.

If we truly end up in a scenario where (ok this WILL be the scenario) the vast majority of people game via streaming, and there is a small sector of people who still like to have high powered hardware, I will always fall in with the physical hardware camp. But if we're being far-seeing and honest, that's what we'll be. A small minority. Again I'm talking 30 years from now.

Also back on topic Friday the 13th (the game) sucks.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #37
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Gabe Newell
Nintendo
Steam
Mobile Consoles
Mobile Gaming
Half-Life
Zelda
Indies
Metroidvanias
Cel Shading
Colorful
Optimistic
Happy
Solidarity
Fellow Man
California
Kids
Older People
Dogs

Im up my maymays and what not but this is some next level shit.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #38
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

The fact the Switch is going to sell an minimum 75 million tells me Moogle and Microfag are not the future. As for phone games, they have arrived, and people just dont like them that much. So that horse has already sailed, they are not killing off consoles

Im curious to see how this Diskless Xbone is going to do. My prediction, the virtue signlers will cause an early rush, then real life will catch up and it will die.

After that MS will start exiting the market or go full PC or an online store.

Quote:
Good, they are a cheap and effective way to play games. Ill be buying retired Dell's off ebay and craming PCE powered GPU's in them and hooking them to the living room TV for many years to come i hope. As for building a tweaking, buying monitors, kb and mice. Im done with that maybe forever.

Last edited by blackzc; 03-07-2019 at 01:20 PM..
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #39
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
The fact the Switch is going to sell an minimum 75 million tells me Moogle and Microfag are not the future. As for phone games, they have arrived, and people just dont like them that much. So that horse has already sailed, they are not killing off consoles

Im curious to see how this Diskless Xbone is going to do. My prediction, the virtue signlers will cause an early rush, then real life will catch up and it will die.

After that MS will start exiting the market or go full PC or an online store.

Good, they are a cheap and effective way to play games. Ill be buying retired Dell's off ebay and craming PCE powered GPU's in them for many years to come i hope. As for building a tweaking, buying monitors, kb and mice. Im done with that maybe forever.
Here's my problem with disc-less on console. PC is fine. I'll buy digital. Prices are often much cheaper, and I always have a PC.

Console is a different story. I'm NOT a collector. I don't keep generation after generation of console. I usually sell the previous generation plus its games to go towards the next generation. If a game was fantastic, it's usually remade or made backwards compatible for the next generation anyway. If I buy lets say...35 games in a generation, it's sure nice to sell those afterward to fund the next console.

PC/Steam - Digital for me
Console - Always physical where I can help it so I can get ANY value back on a sell, since I won't keep the console forever.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #40
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Why does this make people stupid? It's entertainment. If people want something more convenient, what's the problem? Are people who have old video cardsor CPUs stupid if they really don't feel like messing around with upgrading their PC now? Why does someone have to play a game at the absolute highest settings? My parents have a 1080p TV and aren't paying their cable provider the extra $10 per month for HD channels. I've explained it to them and showed them the difference and they flat out don't care. To them, it's just not worth the $10. It doesn't make them stupid though.
Paying the same price for inferior versions of the same game is stupid, sorry it just is. Especially if you're limited to a console. Also you're putting words in my mouth here. You don't need to run out and spend 1000 bucks on a video card every year, most decent mid range cards will still let you get the majority of the bells and whistles without going the upgrade route on a constant basis. PC's just aren't like that any more having to play the constant upgrade game, and haven't been for a long while now.

Tags
friday the 13th