Free game on GOG:...
Last post by AlfredT
Yesterday 10:31 PM
0 Replies, 247 Views

Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Terran
Evil Dead

Disney Reloads Gunn for Guardians 3

Gunn back on for Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Quote:
After a series of meetings with Walt Disney Pictures honcho Alan Horn, fired director James Gunn will return to the Marvel fold.

Gunn has been re-hired to direct the third installment in the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise, the Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana series about misfits who protect outer-space, an individual familiar with the project told Variety.

Gunn was fired last July following the resurfacing of offensive tweets that made light of child sex abuse. The director apologized for the sentiments, which were bubbled up by conservative talking head Mike Cernovich, but was swiftly chopped by family-friendly Disney over the graphic and immature nature of his comments.

The studio had never replaced him with any other director on the project, another insider added. Leadership is said to be satisfied with his contrition. Gunn will also write the screenplay for the third installment, which is undated but slated for 2020. Aside from the notable reversal of a swift decision, Gunn’s rehire presents a conflict of superhero proportions — he’s currently in talks to write and direct a sequel of “Suicide Squad,” the DC Comics villain franchise.
So, how do you feel about this?
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The guy is a total liberal douchebag, but honestly there was no reason for Disney to fire him for some old jokes that were in bad taste.

Of course, I found it hilarious that someone who was constantly bashing Tump on social media would have social media used against them to get them fired -- that my friends is irony done right -- but really he's pretty talented and a great writer and I'm glad to see him hired back. He deserves the job.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Yeah, he's a douchebag, but I'm not one of those folks with a long list of ideological douchebags I boycott. For most people, separating art and the individual is a necessary step to enjoyment, because quite frankly if you knew too much about anyone there'd be plenty there to find disagreeable.

I think it will be the lowest grossing of the three, however. The second was just okay. It lacked the magic, the humor felt forced, and I've thought through both previous films that Drax is a shitty actor who sounds like he's coughing up a fur ball when he's trying to laugh.

I wonder how long it will take him or Bautista to shit the bed, lol...you know one or both are dying to say some shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Yeah, he's a douchebag, but I'm not one of those folks with a long list of ideological douchebags I boycott. For most people, separating art and the individual is a necessary step to enjoyment, because quite frankly if you knew too much about anyone there'd be plenty there to find disagreeable.
Well said.

Though, with this move, it's hard not to view Disney as:
a. Cynical
b. Desperate
c. Only interested in the $
d. All of the above

Frankly, it would be refreshing to see a corporation just up and say: "We're a corporation. We're not beholdin' to anyone. He's staying. Y'all can go fuck yourselves if you don't like it." I might not agree with it, but it would be fun to see.

That said, he is a douche.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The difference for me is how they are in public venues and when given a podium.

Unfortunately, James Gunn is one of those who can't just keep his politics to himself or skirt the issue unless directly asked. And like so many of the elite he thinks we thirst for his clever quips and wit that he gifts to us from the upper balcony of the ivory tower he had built by a contractor who probably used illegal laborers hired at a slave wage.

There's a level of class, dignity, and glamour missing from Hollywood these days and it's because these people insist on throwing out pithy alt-left soundbites to see who wins the headline space on the lowest of supermarket tabloid front pages. Or CNN, but I repeat myself.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Just looking at him, you can tell he's part of NAFTA, BAFTA, NAMBLA, and RAMBLA. Total lib-douche. But honestly, he should have stayed fired for his absurd jokes. Just goes to show you the liberal industries just care about $$$ and ramblas, famblas and, baftas. They let a liberal guy who made really offensive comments BACK into the fold, showing their "moral compass" is just a double standard pile of bullshit. Imagine if our president said anything disparaging. Good thing the Hollywood liberal elite are self destructing.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Just looking at him, you can tell he's part of NAFTA, BAFTA, NAMBLA, and RAMBLA. Total lib-douche. But honestly, he should have stayed fired for his absurd jokes. Just goes to show you the liberal industries just care about $$$ and ramblas, famblas and, baftas. They let a liberal guy who made really offensive comments BACK into the fold, showing their "moral compass" is just a double standard pile of bullshit. Imagine if our president said anything disparaging. Good thing the Hollywood liberal elite are self destructing.
I know you're being sarcastic but I don't think anyone should be pilloried for what they did over a decade ago especially since there is so much to get them for in the modern day!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:26 AM   #8
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Fucking guy is a douche. The end. I don't have the bandwidth to care any more than the small amount that I do. He is what he is. Can a (perhaps former?) douche write stuff or direct stuff that is good? I guess. Whatever. Everyone is dumb anyways.

EXCEPT ED BOON!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Oh come on. This had to be the plan all along. “Fire” him and then just casually hire him back when the storm blows over.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
They let a liberal guy who made really offensive comments BACK into the fold, showing their "moral compass" is just a double standard pile of bullshit.
What's funny is you stumbling into the truth. Let's ask Roseanne about liberal double standards.

You really are a douchebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Old 03-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Least surprising news ever.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #12
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Good. Not only will the next movie have a proper and competent guy in charge, it will piss off followers of the Alt-Right for once again failing to accomplish their goals. A win/win.

Last edited by Phoenix1985; 03-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Wrong definition of people
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
Good. Not only will the next movie have a proper and competent guy in charge, it will piss off followers of the Alt-Right for once again failing to accomplish their goals. A win/win.
Jesus may as well just announce you support pedophiles because it pisses off conservatives.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
What's funny is you stumbling into the truth. Let's ask Roseanne about liberal double standards.

You really are a douchebag.
hehehe, you know what's funny? I don't actually 100% disagree with what I said! Just funny to watch you malfunction:P

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
hehehe, you know what's funny? I don't actually 100% disagree with what I said! Just funny to watch you malfunction:P
Wait so you went off writing a sarcastic post that you end up partially agreeing with and he’s the one that malfunctioned?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Since no real evidence of pedo shit was found, I'm fine. But anyone still calling those tweets "jokes" is sketchy in my eyes. There was zero humorous context around them. No framing or structure of a joke. Dude just kept talking about having sex with kids, like he was putting his feelers out for a positive response to the idea.

ANYTHING can be a joke. Even pedophilia. Carlin perfectly demonstrates this with the hilarious bit below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3zPwqNL9M

Or Gilbert Gottfried's dollhouse bit, but I cant find video for:

In Mackenzie Phillips's
autobiography,
she says that when
she was a little girl,
her father would climb into
bed with her every night
and have sex with her.
This to me was mind-boggling.
I can't get my daughter
to hold my hand
when we cross the street.

We're running through
oncoming traffic
and she's pulling away from me
and this guy's nailing
his daughter every night!
And I'm not saying I want my
daughter to have sex with me.
I just want her to know
that Barbie Dream House wasn't free.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
RAV
Reaper

Here is another thing you should look out for now, though.

Remember his involvement with that Superman spoof like movie? With the Evil Kid superman interpretation?
On one hand, I have to admit it looked kinda cool... unfortunately you just know why he supported that project.

First you should realize how butthurt Leftists are about the so called Generation Z of kids, with GamerGate and such flying in their face.
The Left is not used to having the youth do revolution against them, they think it's natural they have the youth in the bag for their cause.
So they are really upset about how they lost control over that. What you see now on several fronts is the development of another narrative line: The Evil Boy.
I mean it's been kinda already there before, but I started seeing them intensify on that narrative here and there.
The evil boy out there to be mean to the innocent poor little girls (or to be more specific, the brainwashed crazy feminist invading the playgrounds of boys).
I mean we all know that little rascals are always good for some little mischief here and there, and I have no doubt that some real shitty people used the occasion for actual undue harassment,
but you can always count on the Left picking up on such and blowing it out of proportion for their own agenda, and diverting from their own misdeeds.

Now to the next point which really frustrated the Left: Mothers. They discovered that many women actually love their sons, and are deeply worried for their sons' future,
considering all the batshit insane legislation going, that basically criminalizes boys for being boys. Administrations in schools and Universities cracking down on boys
on a paranoid pretense about rape culture and such. People's lives getting destroyed about baseless accusations, total supervision on everything, etc.
So all those mothers of sons are fed up with this sjw non-sense and turn their back on feminism and liberalism, and stand up against it, protectively in front of their sons.

When you consider both points above, what we see now more and more of, is the Left trying to poison the relationship between Mothers and Sons, the same they tried to poison between men and women. SJWs need all-access to the brains of boys in the education system, they don't need concerned parents meddling around with the indoctrination. No, the boys need this, lest they are evil. A big theme in the movie seems to be the alienation between parents and son, I really think that this narrative in that Evil Boy Superman flick is no accident, it comes in so conveniently to scumbags like Gunn.

When I saw that trailer, I sure was unsettled on more than one level, because you just know what kind of metaphors and messages are at play here, when a guy like this is involved.

Last edited by RAV; 03-16-2019 at 01:01 PM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Wait so you went off writing a sarcastic post that you end up partially agreeing with and he’s the one that malfunctioned?
Haha, Never said I wasn't malfunctioned either! I do a lot of things to make myself laugh a little. It's sad.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #19
RAV
Reaper

Now look, I also have to relativate some of my points.

First, the theme of alienation between parents and children, or their children turning into little monsters, or being possessed by evil, isn't exactly a new idea, and honestly, I think many parents had a moment of these in their lives, when you just feel a bit... sick of dealing with kids, by all love and all, sometimes you are just overwhelmed and could use a break, right. It's kinda natural. So these themes have been there before. There's a lot of horror movies, like Exorcism, where it was the girl being possessed, and such. I think this horror theme works particularly well with girls, since girls actually really are just about the closest symbol to innocent good we have, and seeing that turn against you in such a menacing way really is a horror, what can you do? punch it when it tries to bite your arm off? punch a little girl? Maybe sacrifice your arm, and hope to bring her back to her senses? Horror for sure.

It's also an actual horror scenario in real life terrorism, when they use kids as weapons, maybe even involuntary with bombs bootstrapped. What will you do? shoot an innocent kid, to save your team mates. You kinda know what you have to do, but it will haunt you anyway. Horror scenario no one ever wants to be in. All ideas that aren't new.

And yes, my first thought also was, the concept of the movie is just cool and such. whatev.

But despite all this, you gotta forgive me being extra suspicious. You know what kind of people are running Hollywood, you know who Gunn is, and even though you know it's a common theme in principle, you just know why they went for it with this movie. You just know they are always looking for a way to slip in that poison pill.

I hate having to look at movies in this way, it kinda kills the enjoyment, and it looks similar paranoid as feminists looking for sexism in every old movie or book. But at this point, I just find it so hard to "unsee" the "signs". ugggh...
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

"So, how do you feel about this?"

I feel nothing. A man should never be hanged for what he said, or did, ten years previously. We can change, we can adapt and, heaven forbid, actually form a better opinion of things. Plus I don't know him and never will. As long as he doesn't kick puppies, beat women, hurt kids or any other sick crap I don't care what he does. It's none of my business. Ever.

We now live in an age where anything goes for clicks, views and hits.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote