17 Replies, 936 Views
Favorite VR Games
Last post by GreenZA
Today 03:13 AM
1 Replies, 14,522 Views

Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Harley Quinn Spin-off Movie Will Be "An R-Rated Girl Gang Film," Says Margot Robbie

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Despite the negative critical reaction to 2016's Suicide Squad, most fans and critics agreed that Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was one of the best characters in the DC universe so far. There have been numerous rumors about what movie we'll see the character in next, but last month it was reported that the spin-off focusing on the all-female Birds of Prey team was moving forward. Now Robbie has revealed more details about the project.

In an interview with Collider, Robbie stated that it was important for Harley to stay part of a group. "I pitched the idea of an R-rated girl gang film including Harley, because I was like, 'Harley needs friends,'" she said. "Harley loves interacting with people, so don't ever make her do a standalone film. She's got to be with other people, it should be a girl gang. I wasn't seeing enough girl gangs on screen, especially in the action space. So that was always a big part of it."

The Birds of Prey movie will be directed by Cathy Yan, who will be the second woman to direct a DC film, after Wonder Woman's Patty Jenkins, as well as the first female Asian director to tackle a big-budget superhero movie. Robbie herself requested that the director be a woman, and explained how important it was to give "a female director the chance to do big budget stuff."

She continued: "They always get, 'Here's the tiny little film.' I was like, 'I love action. I love action films. I'm a girl. What, are we meant to only like a specific thing?' So it was a hugely important to find a female director for this, if possible. But at the end of the day--male, female--the best director gets the job and Cathy was the best director."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Was down for this until the forced female director bull shit.

burn baby burn.

But hey if it happens to be good, I'm all in, but if it's a non-stop ball busting adventure attempting to prove women are men without dicks, it'll destroy these characters.

quin in suicide squad actually comes off feminine, but if this happens, I fully expect her character to be a man with tits.

odd how backwards it is, you'd think female directors would make better more feminine characters, instead they always betray their femininity to forcibly be men in womens bodies to prove some equality point that no one wants to hear about in their anti-hero movie.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Booda
Beam another Blast

Christ these movies suck. Props for staying consistent?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
Was down for this until the forced female director bull shit.

burn baby burn.

But hey if it happens to be good, I'm all in, but if it's a non-stop ball busting adventure attempting to prove women are men without dicks, it'll destroy these characters.

quin in suicide squad actually comes off feminine, but if this happens, I fully expect her character to be a man with tits.

odd how backwards it is, you'd think female directors would make better more feminine characters, instead they always betray their femininity to forcibly be men in womens bodies to prove some equality point that no one wants to hear about in their anti-hero movie.
I disagree. But I do think that itís interesting that Robbie was complaining about Harley and her costume and her script. But niw she is an authority on the character, somehow. The reason that character was as popular as it was, and the reason so many women emulate her was the costume.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I disagree. But I do think that itís interesting that Robbie was complaining about Harley and her costume and her script. But niw she is an authority on the character, somehow. The reason that character was as popular as it was, and the reason so many women emulate her was the costume.
Is there ever a moment where you're a man rather than a sniveling beta pussy?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Is there ever a moment where you're a man rather than a sniveling beta pussy?
How is what he said sniveling? It sounds like he's shooting down her supposed authority on Harley to me.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Is this going to be another example of filmmaking by a committee of executives and the director is used merely as a prop/scapegoat?
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

You know what will save the DC cinematic universe? Another off-theme, unconnected entry!
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

"An R-Rated Girl Gang Film," Sounds .... Kinky. Straight to CinaMax release too? I jest. I'll watch it.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

They failed at going after the Marvel earnings, so no they'll be tracing Deadpool's steps.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I will be going day 1 and 2!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
How is what he said sniveling? It sounds like he's shooting down her supposed authority on Harley to me.
Harley was popular long before Suicide Squad, she's only had her own comic for years now. If I missed the sarcasm from Jaz going on about costumes mattering, I'd agree, I'm not so sure he was being sarcastic though, Jaz isn't exactly known for saying anything smart to begin with.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
They failed at going after the Marvel earnings, so no they'll be tracing Deadpool's steps.
There are worse footsteps to follow...

DC still owns the TV screen. Marvel is a distant (distant) spec of 2nd place there. Even their Netflix shows don't have a drop of the following the DC CW shows have... well I don't think they do but we'll never know since Netflix doesn't release their ratings.

But Arrow, The Flash, and so on tend to do much better than Agents of Shield and the cancelled Agent Carter (which is sad cause I thought that show was pretty cool).
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Harley was popular long before Suicide Squad, she's only had her own comic for years now. If I missed the sarcasm from Jaz going on about costumes mattering, I'd agree, I'm not so sure he was being sarcastic though, Jaz isn't exactly known for saying anything smart to begin with.
Was Harley Quinn the most popular character two years ago because of the way she looks in her comic? No. Sit down.

Also, you shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning how long she has. Even around, because her explosion in popularity is current. Therefore it's not due to her comic book or any other nonsense. It's due to the movie. And a huge chunk of her popularity in the movie was her costume.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
Was Harley Quinn the most popular character two years ago because of the way she looks in her comic? No. Sit down.

Also, you shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning how long she has. Even around, because her explosion in popularity is current. Therefore it's not due to her comic book or any other nonsense. It's due to the movie. And a huge chunk of her popularity in the movie was her costume.
Jaz you are showing your youth and naivete again.

She was popular and sustaining back in the TV animated episodes 1999.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
They already tried - and failed - at doing that once with Suicide Squad. Second time is the charm, I guess?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I suspect their idea of a "girl gang" and what I had in mind are two different things.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

But will it get a higher Rotten Tomatoes rating than Sucker Punch?
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
No. Her popularity was due to the Batman: The Animated Series. Her voice, her outfit, her entire personality that most of us enjoy came from that series. That is why there was a huge backlash when they showed the first images form Suicide Squad because her outfit just made her look like a washed up cheerleader.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
No. Her popularity was due to the Batman: The Animated Series. Her voice, her outfit, her entire personality that most of us enjoy came from that series. That is why there was a huge backlash when they showed the first images form Suicide Squad because her outfit just made her look like a washed up cheerleader.
Hell, the character didn't even exist until TAS; Bruce Timm created her specifically for the series. The reason why she exists in the comics and these movies is because of how popular she was in the animated series.

Tags
harley quinn