Last post by brandonjclark
Today 10:38 AM
2 Replies, 735 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo Discontinues Production Of NES Classic Edition

Gameinformer has the word that Nintendo couldn't keep up with the demand of the NES Classic, so they decided to give up on the system and stop making it.

Quote:
After selling over 1.5 million NES Classic Editions and still being unable to keep up with demand, Nintendo has discontinued production of the NES Classic, a Nintendo representative confirmed to Game Informer today.

Throughout April, [Nintendo of America] territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year," the representative said in a statement. "We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product."
Going back to the drawing board with a better version or just putting their focus on the Switch and 3DS instead?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Scherge
Voice of Reason

What??? There are only two answers that kiiinda make commercial sense:
a) They're coming back with a new version that prohibits flashing the thing with more (illegal) ROMs, or
b) someone at Nintendo thinks they can earn more money with these 30 games when they're on the Virtual Console.

Still, this is a weird decision. It reminds me of when the "Flappy Bird" guy took down his game because it was too successful and he didn't know how to deal with it.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

It seems plan was always to follow it up with the SNES Mini. Plus, this thing was also intended to be more of a novelty item more than anything else. This isn't unexpected.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

My thoughts are the second thing. They think that they can sell these games on the 3DS and/or Switch and make tons of money instead of having to manufacture hardware and ship hardware.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Fear that it would out sell the Switch!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Really surprised they are doing this because people STILL can't find them who want them.

That said... the demand for this is nothing compared to when the eventual SNES Mini comes out. Nintendo better strap in for that madness!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Really surprised they are doing this because people STILL can't find them who want them.

That said... the demand for this is nothing compared to when the eventual SNES Mini comes out. Nintendo better strap in for that madness!
Yea, you kinda wonder if they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not making a real SNES system again and actually putting out some carts or multi-game carts.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Yea, you kinda wonder if they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not making a real SNES system again and actually putting out some carts or multi-game carts.
Eh, if they did that, it wouldn't be "the cool retro thing to have", but just "a sad comeback attempt by a has-been company that can't let go of its past". Also, cartridges are expensive.

I'm surprised people here seem to believe the NES Mini is gone for good while still hoping for a SNES Mini. If Nintendo has reasons not to do one, those same reasons will prevent them from doing the other. My guess would be more people are buying games like "Street Fighter II" or "Super Contra" from the Virtual Console than "Ice Climber" or "Megaman 2"...

Personally, I believe we'll see a revamped edition, maybe with more ROMs, definitely with better tamper-protection, and possibly even a NES/SNES hybrid. Why not? Emulation is cheap!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post

I'd buy a nicely loaded SNES Classic Edition with a wireless controller for $200 right now.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I guess it was too successful. Poor Nintendo.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

http://evilavatar.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=36

Bastards.

Reggie straight-face lied to gamers on this when it was brought up as an irritation (that fans can't find it in the wild), like he always does.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post

Bastards.

Reggie straight-face lied to gamers on this when it was brought up as an irritation (that fans can't find it in the wild), like he always does.
It's Nintendo, being anti consumer is only bad when it's Microsoft or Electronic Arts.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post

Bastards.

Plans change. I'm suspicious of Nintendo deciding to discontinue a successful product (i.e. leave money and brand installation on the table) without a valid reason. But at the very least they should be offering a very clear explanation. They haven't been able to keep up with demand since the get-go. Who knows why, but it's clear they've been getting backlash for it all along. Maybe they decided it wasn't worth the headache. Either way, Nintendo sucks balls at transparency. Even their patch notes are vague! "This patch improves gameplay experience".

I doubt it has anything to do with ROM sales on the Switch or anything like that. They were aware of the timing of the classics release vs the Switch. I dont think it has to do with the console potentially "outselling" the Switch, either. They're too wildly different as a product. That'd be nearly akin to Nintendo not selling the 3DS anymore because it was outselling the Wii U.

But either way, after struggling to meet demand all along, then suddenly discontinuing the product outright, they should be offering consumers a clear explanation, especially when Reggie has made counter-claims recently. But that said, half the little pocket of internet "outrage" seems silly. I'm a pretty avid Nintendo fan - that's pretty clear. I didn't get an NES Classic Edition, and I really couldn't care less. I don't know what spectral is talking about either. He hates Nintendo and would probably burn the classic if it was given to him, but here he is chiming in as though it effects him in any way at all. The internet. Nintendo sucks and it's just an overpriced emulator. Why does anyone care?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:03 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

It's one of two things or a combination, they don't want it to cut into selling roms for a 3rd or is it 4th now, time on the Switch, or they don't want to spend the money producing enough to meet demand. Either reason is typical Nintendo. That you Pat or any of the rest of the zealots can't see the reasons why I dislike Nintendo by now, you won't ever. They are routinely anti consumer, they are also very content on rehashing their past over and over to the point of nausea.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Plans change. I'm suspicious of Nintendo deciding to discontinue a successful product (i.e. leave money and brand installation on the table) without a valid reason. But at the very least they should be offering a very clear explanation. They haven't been able to keep up with demand since the get-go. Who knows why, but it's clear they've been getting backlash for it all along. Maybe they decided it wasn't worth the headache. Either way, Nintendo sucks balls at transparency. Even their patch notes are vague! "This patch improves gameplay experience".

I doubt it has anything to do with ROM sales on the Switch or anything like that. They were aware of the timing of the classics release vs the Switch. I dont think it has to do with the console potentially "outselling" the Switch, either. They're too wildly different as a product. That'd be nearly akin to Nintendo not selling the 3DS anymore because it was outselling the Wii U.

But either way, after struggling to meet demand all along, then suddenly discontinuing the product outright, they should be offering consumers a clear explanation, especially when Reggie has made counter-claims recently. But that said, half the little pocket of internet "outrage" seems silly. I'm a pretty avid Nintendo fan - that's pretty clear. I didn't get an NES Classic Edition, and I really couldn't care less. I don't know what spectral is talking about either. He hates Nintendo and would probably burn the classic if it was given to him, but here he is chiming in as though it effects him in any way at all. The internet. Nintendo sucks and it's just an overpriced emulator. Why does anyone care?
Ultimately, I think the fact it was designed purely as a nostalgia grab has everything to do with it being discontinued. Sure, there's a ton of demand right now...but, nostalgia is a very fickle thing. It can wane just as quickly as it waxes and the unexpectedly high demand from this past Christmas could drop off just as quickly. If they cranked out enough units to "meet the demand", either Nintendo or retailers (or both) could be sitting on unsold inventory once people move on to the next big nostalgia grab.

It's an annoying - and pragmatic - decision. Of course, I'm one of those folks that advocates building your own damn device that has the complete library of all of the classic consoles...for less than the cost of this stupid thing.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Ultimately, I think the fact it was designed purely as a nostalgia grab has everything to do with it being discontinued. Sure, there's a ton of demand right now...but, nostalgia is a very fickle thing. It can wane just as quickly as it waxes and the unexpectedly high demand from this past Christmas could drop off just as quickly. If they cranked out enough units to "meet the demand", either Nintendo or retailers (or both) could be sitting on unsold inventory once people move on to the next big nostalgia grab.

It's an annoying - and pragmatic - decision. Of course, I'm one of those folks that advocates building your own damn device that has the complete library of all of the classic consoles...for less than the cost of this stupid thing.
Yah, I think that's a fair point. Nintendo isn't stupid. I'm sure they have a valid business reason to discontinue producing the classic, and it may fall in line with your thoughts there, where they just don't want to be left holding the bag on a surplus if (when) demand drops off. I think it was meant to be more of a limited run novelty.

I'm also with you in that I couldn't give a hill of beans for it. I've played NES classics a million times and there are a million different ways and means to continue to do so on the off-chance I want to revisit any of them for the 40th time. What I care more about as a fan of Nintendo IP is what they're doing now. Zelda was a good start to shaking things up with their IP but whether they keep their momentum up and continue to deliver or not is probably the biggest question and my interest as a video game hobbyist. If they fail to deliver a bunch of top quality 1st party titles on the Switch, my interest in Nintendo will probably drop significantly. The classic does little to nothing for me personally. I've played the classics more times than I can count already. Where the **** is Metroid? A real Animal Crossing? That 2D version of Zelda they built to test BotW gameplay elements, that should evolve into a Zelda Maker game. If they get into a rut of releasing middling titles every 6 months, I'll be spending all my gaming time on my PC.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #17
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
What??? There are only two answers that kiiinda make commercial sense:
a) They're coming back with a new version that prohibits flashing the thing with more (illegal) ROMs, or
b) someone at Nintendo thinks they can earn more money with these 30 games when they're on the Virtual Console.
Or they could be dropping it to keep it as its own small unique thing. Similar to what chip said, I don't think this was ever supposed to be more then a novelty. Maybe call it, "Going out on a high note"?

Now, that's just going to blended and boiled down to equate it to your B) more or less -- I guess. But Nintendo hasn't exactly been gushing to just flood the VC with every old rom to "earn more money" re-selling every old IP. Even for the IP they own exclusively and entirely.

Quote:
Still, this is a weird decision. It reminds me of when the "Flappy Bird" guy took down his game because it was too successful and he didn't know how to deal with it.
Not necessarily to me. Owners or a business can and do make decisions not based on what forum critics tend to polarize around so often (i.e. they're stupid and don't know what they're doing, they're trying to screw everyone over, etc). Whether you want to cut out the middle man and just call "Flappy Birds" creator stupid or wrong or whatever for taking his game down because he felt he created a game which was creating unhealthy addictions -- is entirely your opinion to hold and promote.

But things aren't always so black and white as forum discussion can paint it.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #18
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

And everyone conveniently forgets the countless posts across the internet proclaiming

"OMG this is so fucking stupid, nobody will buy this shit when everyone can download the ROMS for free!!"
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
And everyone conveniently forgets the countless posts across the internet proclaiming

"OMG this is so fucking stupid, nobody will buy this shit when everyone can download the ROMS for free!!"
Exactly. "No One" wanted it, and now it's an outrage that they're discontinuing it.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
Zane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post

Wait... are you telling me people on the Internet... were WRONG?!?
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nes classic edition