10 Replies, 615 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Star Wars Battlefront II Will Not Have a Season Pass

Destructoid has the story.

Quote:
One of the worst things about 2015's Star Wars Battlefront was that the game shipped with a season pass while being light on content. It would be one thing if the game packed a wallop and had players wanting to return, but gating off a bunch of maps behind a $40 pass and releasing a gimped product is just lame. It's no wonder the general consensus of the first game is a resounding "meh".

DICE isn't looking to repeat that mistake with Battlefront II. In an interview with Mashable, DICE confirmed before the reveal event that the game won't have a season pass. While that doesn't outright mean there won't be any paid DLC, at least the majority of the expansions are looking set to be free updates.

Creative Director for Battlefront II, Bernd Diemer, noted, "When we looked at the way Battlefront had evolved over its lifetime, with the DLC and everything, we decided, 'You know what? For this type of game, season passes are not the best thing. We need to [take it apart] and come up with something better."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
Blackwing
Slacker

Instead, we will take what would have been season pass content and throw it into another sequel immediately and charge full price.
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I've been playing a lot of Battlefront 2 on PC and Vita lately. Such a fun game. Hope this new one can capture that feel.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
Instead, we will take what would have been season pass content and throw it into another sequel immediately and charge full price.
Jesus either way people will bitch about it. EA didn't do a season pass with Mass Effect Andromeda either, and there's bound to be DLC done. Apparently no matter what they do gamers always find something to bitch about.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Jesus either way people will bitch about it. EA didn't do a season pass with Mass Effect Andromeda either, and there's bound to be DLC done. Apparently no matter what they do gamers always find something to bitch about.
Just an example of how these practices by companies over many years have resulted in a large proportion of their customer base simply not trusting them.
Just look at all the false advertising around games and review embargos, pre-orders etc its mainly all to try and trick people into buying something they would never buy if they seen it up front. Hardly fosters good customer relations when you overpromise and lie about your product and it fails to deliver.. In many businesses that's called false advertising but seemingly it never applies to the gaming industry.

As a consumer I see no benefit to me with companies ring fencing content or adding grind mechanics to add Microtransactions to avoid. Also when the extra money adds up to very little in return relatively your customers feel ripped off.

Ultimately I'm a gamer that used to buy several new full priced games per month alongside most of the consoles. Now its totally different, I've got more disposable income but I very rarely buy games on release.. I just don't care if I play a game now or 3 months or so down the line as I got sick of feeling ripped off by buggy and incomplete games unless you fork out more money etc. So for me I buy on sale or wait for GOTY editions.. not because i'm being careful with my money its more the feeling of just being ripped off I don't like.

I tend to look up a game.. if its got a shit ton of DLC or is infested with Microtransactions I simply skip the game. Plenty to play over PC/PS4/Nintendo even being so selective isn't an issue for me.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

Screw Electronics Arts, absolutely the worst game company of the past 30 years. They need to sink already for good, scumbags.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Ianerd
Peon

All the fuss about the Star Wars is an exaggeration in my opinion. Neither the last films nor the games didn't impress me
Ianerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
Just an example of how these practices by companies over many years have resulted in a large proportion of their customer base simply not trusting them.

I tend to look up a game.. if its got a shit ton of DLC or is infested with Microtransactions I simply skip the game. Plenty to play over PC/PS4/Nintendo even being so selective isn't an issue for me.

+1 to all this. And I only play on PC and still don't have an issue w/ selection.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
IndependentGMR
Evil Dead

Quote:
True that. It's like that one dude in all the Nintendo threads.
IndependentGMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped'Up View Post
Screw Electronics Arts, absolutely the worst game company of the past 30 years. They need to sink already for good, scumbags.
Such drama, replace EA with Nintendo or Valve and then you might be onto something.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Such drama, replace EA with Nintendo or Valve and then you might be onto something.
We all know you give EA a free pass because without them, you wouldn't have your coveted NHL games.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
shadow763
Lord of Woe

The first one looked amazing. Played well enough, just wasn't for me. I am not interested in this in the slightest. But DLC in shooters doesn't make sense when it is level packs. It fractures the community and when the game does die down, you can rarely get a good chance to play DLC maps due to lack of players vs the vanilla maps. I think cosmetics are more the way to go.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
We all know you give EA a free pass because without them, you wouldn't have your coveted NHL games.
It isn't just NHL, its all the Command & Conquer games over the years, the Wing Commander series, the Battlefield titles, Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition, the majority of the Mass Effect titles and too many classic highly rated titles to count. Idiots like to hate on EA because its the popular thing to do when it's one of the largest publishers, but to deny that they have put out plenty of great games over the years and still do is straight up dishonesty.

What has Valve done lately other than take a cut of other developers profits due to Steam, what has Blizzard done lately other than milk World of Warcraft to death, just as a couple of examples of companies that gamers tend to defend for no logical reason.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #15
Mad Max RW
Reaper

Quote:
It isn't just NHL, its all the Command & Conquer games over the years, the Wing Commander series, the Battlefield titles, Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition, the majority of the Mass Effect titles and too many classic highly rated titles to count. Idiots like to hate on EA because its the popular thing to do when it's one of the largest publishers, but to deny that they have put out plenty of great games over the years and still do is straight up dishonesty.

What has Valve done lately other than take a cut of other developers profits due to Steam, what has Blizzard done lately other than milk World of Warcraft to death, just as a couple of examples of companies that gamers tend to defend for no logical reason.
EA did wonderful things for Westwood Studios, Origin, and Maxis to name a few.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
And out of everything you mentioned...the only ones that are currently relevant are Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The fact of the matter is most over their output over the past two decades has revolved around their annual sports franchises and an increasingly anti-consumer stance. Sure, they backpedaled on their "Evil Empire" shtick long enough to make Dead Space and Mirror's Edge...but, it didn't take them long to shift back to their old ways once profits started to dip.

The fact they've put out some great games over the years does absolutely nothing to diminish the fact they're a terrible company.

Quote:
Valve hasn't done shit, but Blizzard is at least releasing games people are enjoying. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and a little game called Overwatch come to mind.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
And out of everything you mentioned...the only ones that are currently relevant are Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The fact of the matter is most over their output over the past two decades has revolved around their annual sports franchises and an increasingly anti-consumer stance. Sure, they backpedaled on their "Evil Empire" shtick long enough to make Dead Space and Mirror's Edge...but, it didn't take them long to shift back to their old ways once profits started to dip.

The fact they've put out some great games over the years does absolutely nothing to diminish the fact they're a terrible company.

Valve hasn't done shit, but Blizzard is at least releasing games people are enjoying. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and a little game called Overwatch come to mind.
EA is no more evil than Ubisoft, Blizzard's parent company Activision, or your precious anti consumer Nintendo who won't even chip in for a charging adapter for the 3ds. Nevermind that Blizzard's games are so incredibly overated, I own Overwatch, thats 60 bucks I'd love to have back.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
EA did wonderful things for Westwood Studios, Origin, and Maxis to name a few.
While I agree about Westwood and to a lesser degree on Maxis, Origin was a money pit, between Chris Roberts and Richard Garriot, Origin was spending far more money than they were making. EA have never been angels for sure, but I personally have enjoyed so many of their games over the years and still do, that I just don't share the outright hate many have for them.

Does that mean that I agree with everything they do? Nope not even close, however I'll still take their production levels over half the tripe that passes for good games these days. And really they are no worse than Activision or Ubisoft or even Take two interactive for studio closures or massive crunch. It's how the industry is, it's certainly not isolated to one particular publisher.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
EA is no more evil than Ubisoft, Blizzard's parent company Activision, or your precious anti consumer Nintendo who won't even chip in for a charging adapter for the 3ds. Nevermind that Blizzard's games are so incredibly overated, I own Overwatch, thats 60 bucks I'd love to have back.
Why you think I have some blind affinity for Nintendo is beyond me. My "loyalty" to them extends only as far as their ability to continue to produce things I want to buy.

Ubisoft is more dumb and poorly managed than evil. Activision, on the other hand, is just as bad as EA at bare minimum. Hell, they'd never make the decision EA made with Battlefront II; its looking like the majority of updates and add-ons will be free this time around.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Why you think I have some blind affinity for Nintendo is beyond me. My "loyalty" to them extends only as far as their ability to continue to produce things I want to buy.

Ubisoft is more dumb and poorly managed than evil. Activision, on the other hand, is just as bad as EA at bare minimum. Hell, they'd never make the decision EA made with Battlefront II; its looking like the majority of updates and add-ons will be free this time around.
I'd argue Activision is worse by a mile, Take Two is pretty assholish as well

Tags
dice, ea games, star wars, star wars battlefront ii