Yesterday 07:53 PM
0 Replies, 344 Views

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Hacker: PlayStation Attack was Meant to 'Raise Awareness'

The New York Post has the story.

Quote:
And the motive for disrupting gamers from Christmas until Sunday?

“Mostly to raise awareness — to amuse ourselves,” the young man boasted.

Companies like Sony make millions of dollars but don’t reinvest those funds into security, according to the hacker.

“Because these companies make tens of millions every month from subscriber fees and that doesn’t even include purchases made by their customers,” Ryan said. “They should have more than enough funding to be able to protect against these attacks.”
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 12-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
AlienDev
Banned

The only way a hack will make these companies invest in security is if it actually effects their bottemline and this didn't!
AlienDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

According to dailydot the attacks were a marketing sceme to promote Lizard Squads new DDOS service.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Venkman
Evil Dead

"raise awareness" - the same thing bad artists say their game/movie/artwork is supposed to do when confronted with the fact that their game/movie/artwork sucks.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Hagetaka
Evil Dead

They raise awareness about security by attacking with something which is difficult to impossible to secure against. Great minds, these lizard dudes.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

"Raise awareness" is a nice generic term often used by people who are simply looking for attention.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
“Because these companies make tens of millions every month from subscriber fees and that doesn’t even include purchases made by their customers,” Ryan said. “They should have more than enough funding to be able to protect against these attacks.”
I'm surprised Sony hasn't attempted to recruit him yet so that he can use his financial background to manage their money better.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

In some weird way, I do have to say it raised awareness for me. Xbox live when down a month ago, thanks to Lizard Squad. Initially I was annoyed with Lizard Squad, but then I started thinking of the service I pay for.

-Free apps like Hulu and Netflix hiding behind their pay-wall.
-Overpriced service.
-Me personally not really playing multiplayer games online anymore.
-Ridiculous "sales" for Gold members. Still paying $20+ for games that I find on Steam constantly on sale for $4.

Bullshit like this:

I made the mistake of purchasing the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2. (totally different game, and they scrapped all promised DLC for it) I got an in-game email for a new car, though. I went to redeem it and I needed Xbox Live Gold to redeem it! Hah!

I usually can't afford to pay for the year up front, so I'd been paying $29.99 every 3 months. For what? For Hulu and Netflix usage?

I don't agree with what Lizard Squad did, because I should have come to the conclusion on my own, but either way, the Cost vs Value just isn't there for me an XBL Gold subscription. I since cancelled and have missed nothing. Not even their shitty games with gold.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

130$ to take down a big Site for 20 days seems like too good an offer.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

< PatrickRes post above...high five!>

I'm so glad I left Gold, and MS, behind me. I find their digital pricing structure HIGHLY objectionable, as mentioned in the post above. I also find their refusal to move digital content across hardware, tying it to your account and not the box, HIGHLY objectionable as well. They threw up a 'Dead End' sign on the 360 and that pissed me off.

I'm not going back, and I know I'm not the only one.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
< PatrickRes post above...high five!>

I'm so glad I left Gold, and MS, behind me. I find their digital pricing structure HIGHLY objectionable, as mentioned in the post above. I also find their refusal to move digital content across hardware, tying it to your account and not the box, HIGHLY objectionable as well. They threw up a 'Dead End' sign on the 360 and that pissed me off.

I'm not going back, and I know I'm not the only one.
Exactly all of that, Terran.

Their digital pricing structure is objectionable for sure, and I do hate that digital content is tied to my account. What happens when service inevitably ends for the 360? Do I lose my content? Can I still play it? I still have full retail games that I can ONLY* play when I'm online because the license won't transfer to my new box. (The 5th I've purchased over my history with the 360, because of system malfunction)

What I realized (sounds like you drew the same conclusion) is that investing thousands into digital content for the 360 was a GIANT waste of money, and so is paying for their service.

They released the Xbox One and claimed it would be THE hardware that replaces all devices in your living room. It can't even replace it's previous gen console! I would still have to lug my 360 around to play the 300 or so retail and arcade digital games I've purchased.

The investment I made the mistake of making into the 360 kept me around with MS longer then I should have stayed because I was afraid to give up what I had already invested, but same as you, I'm very happy I cut ties. I'll most likely never go back to MS for anything gaming related.

Come to think of it, MS essentially stole from me. I purchased Burnout: Paradise and ALL of the DLC for it, and Banjo Kazoo: Nuts n Bolts about 4 years ago. I had to remove them both for storage reasons. (I have a 250gb HDD and it won't house nearly all of my content, but even if they did have a bigger HDD available, I wouldn't spend another dime on their over priced hardware). A few months ago, I went to re-download them and noticed the marketplace wanted to charge me again for them. I called MS up and the rep said he couldn't find where I had a license for those two games. I was particularly pissed about Burnout Paradise because I literally bought all of their DLC which cost way too much.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Anemone
Evil Dead

Digital content tied to a subscription... that's both paying and renting.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
Anemone
Evil Dead

As for Lizardsquad, I love that photo up there, a very dapper lizard and a fine gent.

I'm actually not against hacker collectives inconveniencing people now and then. Better to take a few jabs here and there by malcontents and the like to convince companies to invest in network security than to one day face catastrophic damage at the hands of a truly malicious attacker.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
"Raise awareness" is a nice generic term often used by people who are simply looking for attention.
Exactly. In this case the actions of the hackers were about as informative as 'we wanted to raise awareness that water is wet.'
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
Hagetaka
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
As for Lizardsquad, I love that photo up there, a very dapper lizard and a fine gent.

I'm actually not against hacker collectives inconveniencing people now and then. Better to take a few jabs here and there by malcontents and the like to convince companies to invest in network security than to one day face catastrophic damage at the hands of a truly malicious attacker.
They didn't stress their network security. They stressed the load that it could handle under a small window. Any claim stemming from this that presumes that Sony or MS has poor security comes with a serious asterisk attached to it.

And anyone who didn't know that Sony has poor security, hasn't paid attention to the (what two already?) serious leaks that have occurred. This "attack" doesn't even begin to address their concern for security.

They have done what they always do. Some bonkers attack, for teh lulz. Any claim otherwise is preposterous.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 12-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
shadow763
Lord of Woe

This isn't security related at all and Sony's recent leak was more due to it having an insider help than poor security. I can hack the fuck out of my company as well with all I know.

Hope it is worth it for that dickbag once he goes to jail. Ahh malcontents, providing fresh anus' in prisons for centuries.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
Primus
Valar Morghulis

First of calling themselves hackers is hilarious. It is a bunch of script kiddies DDOSing shit, which is impossible to eliminate no matter your security. They aren't breaching security or accessing any information. They are sending concentrated request to take down public servers, which you have to allow in order to get regular traffic. For a elite hacker he sure doesn't fucking know what he is talking about.

This glorified dickwad can get fucked.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
This glorified dickwad can get fucked.
Which is an additional irony, considering he probably can't. It's dark down there in mom's basement!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
douchebaggery, playstation network, psn, xbox live