Yesterday 08:19 PM
17 Replies, 1,486 Views

Old 09-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Report: Xbox Live is faster and more reliable than PSN #XboxLive #PSN

MCV has the story.

Quote:
Analyst IHS has concluded that Xbox Live remains the best online console network on the market.

Xbox Live was a pioneer in the field and was for a long time considered one of the main differentiators between the two console giants. Now in an extensive report, IHS has, using a PS4 and Xbox One, found that Microsoft’s network remains both faster and more reliable than Sony’s.

The only metric in which PSN performed better was the speed of matchmaking, although that in itself was only a narrow victory.

Tests were carried out in May both in a controlled lab setting and in more natural home environments using five popular multiplayer titles. On test primarily were reliability, speed and overall quality.

“The results for Reliability showed that Xbox Live outperformed PlayStation Network on three out of four metrics. In particular, Xbox Live delivered a considerably better score on the metrics for login time to network and for login time to game servers,” the report said.

“Similar to the results for Reliability, the Speed tests showed that Xbox Live scored higher than PlayStation Network on three out of four metrics. As in the two tests above for Reliability and Speed, Xbox Live produced higher scores in Overall Quality than PlayStation Network in three out of four metrics.”
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I'm not sure how to handle this sudden inrush of positive Xbox news.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

In later news: Sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

Here's a funny thing about the PSN network, I've never been forced to see even one ad. Beat that, Xbox.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Here's a funny thing about the PSN network, I've never been forced to see even one ad. Beat that, Xbox.
O_o Do you mean, like, full motion video ad? Does Xbox have those? I have never seen any of that for PSN, but I see still ads on PSN all the time.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
Kawika
Dread Lord

I believe it. Still, the installs are brutal compared to the PS4. My OG Xbox 1 has sync issues with their Blu-ray app. If not for that, I would consider buying a slim for UHD Blu-ray support. Glad to see all the good will towards Xbox. Sony has blown it before, I'm surprised it took this long to start to get the ire of many gamers.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
gillman
Evil Dead

Quote:
This. They also don't redo the interface every year to place more ads all over either. At the very least when I pay for something with Sony they make me feel like there is a difference.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is one of the main reasons my Xbox 360 got packed away and relegated to the loft. I know all companies do it but MS just seem to have absolutely no respect for their customers, were so obviously simply wallets, personal information and ad eyes to them... jeez just make a great fkin console with the experience tailored around the user and i'll buy the thing and gladly drop loads of money on games. If it wasn't for this anti consumer rubbish i'd be lining up to buy a Scorpio.. as it stands i'll stick to PC/PS$ and even the is now under attack from MS and their annoying disrespect for their customers...

Personally all these anti consumer practices is saving me a fortune in the order of thousands per year, I can count on one hand the number of day 1 games I now buy per year.. with all the different packages, special editions, DLC etc etc etc, I just can't be bothered anymore and only buy anything on deep sale with all DLC included later down the line.. I can wait, no problem the game generally improves 6-12 months down the line anyway.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Yeah, XBox Live is faster and more reliable than PSN. I will agree to that.
Congrats XBox. Now get some good exclusives.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Faster, yes. Games download at 80+ Mbps from Live, but only about 20+ Mbps from PSN. However, Microsoft has the Azure cloud. Sony has no cloud focus, its not a backbone of their company. But at least they have Vue which is awesome.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I mean, looking at both my XB1 and PS4 right now the XB is showing me my free games for the month and the free weekend game + discount, while my PS is taking up real estate with garbage like PS Vue. MS wins it for me, personally.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

PS 4 has been handling game MP infrastructure for how long? Vs. Microsoft Xbox Live for over 12 - 15 years or so, right?

Obviously MS is going to have the edge and good on them for seeing or even building the future of the connected console (and, of course the ability to patch console games...)
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
I mean, looking at both my XB1 and PS4 right now the XB is showing me my free games for the month and the free weekend game + discount, while my PS is taking up real estate with garbage like PS Vue. MS wins it for me, personally.
Sony has never done this to me:

Xbo may be better now, but that still means ads were worse in the past.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #14
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

The guy, in the video above, constantly swearing is difficult to listen to. He's also moaning about nothing really. I do get his point but it's thin.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead

Shame xbox one games take at least half an hour to install and the same game on PS4 takes 20 seconds.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Obviously MS is going to have the edge and good on them for seeing or even building the future of the connected console (and, of course the ability to patch console games...)
Blazing a trail to the first successful online console ecosystem is definitely an achievement of theirs, and it was absolutely necessary for consoles to continue to be viable for gaming. Unfortunately, it's a double-edged sword that has, IMO, created a situation (patching of console games) that has nearly completely ruined what was one of the BEST aspects of console gaming (plug and play games that were FINISHED and ready to play at launch).

So, going online had to happen for consoles, but the process of making that happen has killed one of the few aspects that made consoles better than PCs for gaming.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #17
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
lol, is that like saying: Windows boots faster, but OSX will run all your programs faster, therefore Windows is better.

(You can interchange windows/osx, just an analogy).

I would say matchmaking is a LITTLE more important than the speed of a singular login/connection at the start.

Either way, still can't stand the UI and endless ads plastered all over xbox live.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
DeluxE
Evil Dead

I much prefer the layout and UI of the XB1 store to the PS4 equivalent. If you've never experienced the speed and ease full voice navigation provides, it's hard to understand what a difference it makes. Navigating the PS4 seems downright primitive by comparison. I don't buy physical games anymore, so I really notice download times - MS has a far superior network, (but we all knew that, didn't we?

I give Sony credit where credit is due, but in my opinion, MS has been absolutely on top of the UI/navigation thing ever since the, (botched) launch of the XB1. I still can't have a custom background on my PS4! I just wish we had Cortana functionality in Canada... le sigh...
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

They're both barely acceptable for their own reasons.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Venkman
Evil Dead

Quote:
It sure is terrible seeing an "ad" for the games games with gold and/or the latest downloadable demo or beta (Battlefield 1 beta, Titanfall beta, Forza demo, etc). Damn, that's so terrible.

And at the end and mid points of the month, the Games with gold "ad" changes to a "last chance to get [game]" as a reminder that the games switch on the 1st and 16th every month.

On the 360 it was crappy, on the 'bone it's nothing to complain about.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps4, psn, xbox live, xbox one, xbox one s