24 Replies, 1,776 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Kingsman Director Calls Out Marketing Team For Revealing Plot Twists

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
The director of Kingsman: The Golden Circle has called out his film's marketing team for giving away too many plot twists in trailers and other promotional materials. If you've seen a trailer for the film or some of its posters, you probably know what he's talking about. Speaking to Deadline, Matthew Vaughn said revealing these secrets "isn't great for the viewing experience," especially in the film's first act.

"I think the marketing department's done a bloody good job of giving away a lot of the twists and turns. That's been a private bugbear of mine, and I guess now a public one," the director said. "They insist it is the right thing to do. I think it isn't great for the viewing experience and the way I structured the first act. It definitely has left me feeling a bit hamstrung; the narrative thrust has been a little bit weakened."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Dark Orange Alert: Warning! Spoilers!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 AM   #3
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Huh. Yeah, I can somewhat see what he meant. That's a whole movie packed into 2 minutes. Yet, I'm still interested in watching it in a cinema. Honestly, I didn't expect a lot of surprises in the first place, just some cool action scenes, nifty gimmicks, gentlemanly spies and an over-ambitious evil plot. Basically everything the new Bond movies are missing.

The one big "spoiler" (namely that Colin Firth survived) was revealed in the very first teaser, if I remember correctly.

P.S.: The after-video links led me to a Kingsman/Archer short - great stuff!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

That's too bad. I hope there are still at least a few surprises left but yeah, Colin Firth surviving should have been held back. I'm surprised the filmmakers didn't have didn't have yes/no power over marketing materials.

That seems pretty standard for most creative efforts. I've never been part of an entertainment product where the Executive team from the Executive Producers and Creative Directors that didn't collaborate with Marketing to produce suitable marketing goodies.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:44 AM   #5
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

With horror movies I used to love the, "Spot the ending scene" while watching.
excalibur1814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Cranium
Dread Lord

Trailers have been hopeless in this regard for many years. If I now for a fact I'm going to watch a movie, I never watch any trailers for it - to the point of closing my eyes, plugging my ears with my fingers and humming, if at the cinema. Marketing departments are trying to bring in more viewers and garner added interest, but for established fans they're totally ruining the experience. The first big one, was giving away Arnie as the good-guy in Terminator 2 - what a fucking unforgivable crime of ruining a genius plot twist. Its becoming harder though, with Alien and Blade Runner franchises releasing little preview short-films to wet viewers' interest. I avoided the Alien Covenant one and watched it after seing the film, which proved I should have seen it beforehand (didn't even realised Franco was the captain when I saw it in the cinema). Typical PR disconnection to the value of what they're actually really marketing, selling out for a quick buck when they should be planning for the long term.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

This guy has every right to feel the way he does on this one. Trailers are garbage lately. I remember hearing a while back that marketing thinks that viewers don't want to be surprised. They want to know exactly what is going to happen, and that is that.

I want the opposite. I want to be surprised. Wowed. When I saw Cabin in the Woods I was blown away. That movie they didn't ruin (thankfully) and it was better for it.

Alien : Covenant had that brilliant : Last Supper - promo. That is how you get people ready for a movie. I loved the way they did that.

I really wish they would stop ruining movies with 45 second spots that ruin big events in storylines...

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I feel for him. Like he said he structured the act to be a specific way. Basically they took what he crafted and shit on it. sucks. But Im still going to support him and watch it even though some of it was spoiled. A lot of ppl are saying its a good flick.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kingsman