Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 06:40 PM
9 Replies, 532 Views

Old 06-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Testcase
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
d) "someone should kick his ass", "cry me a river" etc.... I'm sorry, but if you earn money- even through a game- and then the other parties renege on that, you have every right to be pissed. I don't know if you're a Blizzard 'dev' or if you're just some hopelessly broken employee of another company, but either way it's ridiculous to get so irate that someone (how dare they!) is upset that the money they've earned- virtually or not- was ripped out of their pockets without explanation or compensation!
Nah, no a dev. Maybe a business analyst or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

As for healers.. they're just fucked.
Testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I surprised nobody has looked at this from Paypal's perspective. They get a cut of the transactions, so are they the ones championing for tighter control over the market or is this just some spoiled kid demanding his tree fity? Who gets burned the most when genuine fraud has taken place? Welcome to the tip of the ice berg ladies. The rabbit hole only goes deeper from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Oh for crap's sake, now I gotta go and sell my ATVI stock again. Bastards can't get anything right.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
dirtbag
El Matador

Blizzard is having to deal with the unintended consequences of all the "features" they duct-taped onto D3, and my sympathy level remains at a steady 0.00

If they pulled shenanigans on the RMAH, I sincerely hope they get nailed with a DTPA suit, as a special reward for their hubris.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Who are these idiots paying $100 and up for in-game items they could easily get themselves by playing the game more?

I've played Diablo III, it is't worth paying for items so you can go grind more and get more items.

People are insane and this guy is a whiny idiot -- it isn't a real item and if he lost it from a failed sale let me Boo, Hoo, Hoo for him for a few seconds and then I'll go back to playing something else.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
saulob
Subscriber

Btw, I tried the real money auction house, to enter you need to have at least $10 in your account. So they are getting 10 dollars from each player to participate on sales...

Right now I need to sell more than 15 items on the 1.25 price to get these 10 dollars back... it's hard to make any money.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
a) Locking yourself into a 12 month contract isn't the same as getting it for free. Blizzard put Diablo there to lock down those players and that money in advance, and it's foolish to act like that's inconsequential
It's completely the same, because if you enter into that contract then you're a WoW player who is still paying to play WoW. You're just enjoying the benefits of receiving a free game for continuing to play WoW. If you think that's in any way unfair and don't plan on playing WoW in the near future, then that deal is obviously not for you - cancel your account and pay $50. I'm merely stating that if that is the route through which he obtained his copy of the game, then he is making money for free.

Quote:
b) if he got "$500 FOR PLAYING A GAME" that's because he put in time and probably grinded for those items. At that point it's not a game, it's a job.
No, it's not a job, and you have no business playing games if you view your recreational time as clocking in and earning a check. I'm sure this person - like the millions of other players - has a job and this is what they do to unwind with the benefit of earning some free cash on the side. Your time investment in a game is not worth money paid to you, in fact it should be the opposite - the value you find in a game should be paid to the people who made it for you, and even then they're only taking 15% of what you make.

Quote:
c) $100 is a huge deal for a lot of people in the US. I'm sorry that you don't have perspective on people in other income brackets. In many states minimum wage is ~$6.50. In Georgia it's as low as $5.15. Yeah, if you're making less money you should be spending less on luxuries like games, but if someone wants to get one as a treat, getting screwed like this is ridiculous.
First of all, don't pretend to understand what my income bracket is like and that I don't have perspective on people earning less than minimum wage. I've lived in apartments and hotels my whole life. I've never owned a home or been able to save for one, let alone retirement. I have a wife who can't work due to cronic illness and I live paycheck to paycheck like most Americans just trying to keep a roof over our heads. I'm sorry you think most developers are rich fat cats who get huge bonuses and do what they do for fun - I wish it was true more than anyone, so go fuck yourself.

He didn't get screwed at all. He didn't lose ANYTHING. He got his item back. The money was never his to begin with because the transaction failed - meaning the money was never transfered. It probably took seven days because BLizzard (or whoever handles their financial systems) was busy investigating why the transaction failed in the first place - it could be any combinations of bug/bad accuont info/insufficient funds that we don't have any details on.

Quote:
d) "someone should kick his ass", "cry me a river" etc.... I'm sorry, but if you earn money- even through a game- and then the other parties renege on that, you have every right to be pissed. I don't know if you're a Blizzard 'dev' or if you're just some hopelessly broken employee of another company, but either way it's ridiculous to get so irate that someone (how dare they!) is upset that the money they've earned- virtually or not- was ripped out of their pockets without explanation or compensation!
Again, perspective. This person bought A GAME. TO PLAY. FOR JUST $50 (or FREE, whatever). The fact that he has made 10x his money back - FOR PLAYING A GAME - entitles him to SQUAT. He got his goddamn item back, and even then this complaint is BULLSHIT. Now, if he was the BUYER who PAID $100 and didn't get the item he PAID for, then THAT would be something worth complaining about.

Honestly I see this as being so ridiculously blown out of proportion that it never should have warrented the attention of Forbes or anyone else. This is bullshit self-entitled gamer drama, and I'm disgusted by it.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
Windsong
Evil Dead

I keep thinking of Kevin Bacon getting the paddle in Animal House

"Thank you sir may I please have another!".....WHAP!

These call center drones are all the same. They're all canker sores on the ass of humanity.
Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
TJF33
Lord

I'm still waiting for when somebody who plays diablo gets cancer and the EvAv headline will read "BLIZZARD PURPOSELY GIVING CUSTOMERS CANCER. IS THE RMAH TO BLAME?"
TJF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post

Honestly I see this as being so ridiculously blown out of proportion that it never should have warrented the attention of Forbes or anyone else. This is bullshit self-entitled gamer drama, and I'm disgusted by it.
I completely agree with this 100%, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

(Jim Sterling is keeping a seat warm for me in hell)
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
Anenome
Autarchist

Still, the second you, as a game dev, start involving a game with real money, you've become a fiduciary and have a higher standard of responsibility. Suddenly, a glitch in the system can become a liability rather than a mere customer service issue.

They're going to get hit with a class action over this or something similar eventually. They just figure they'll make more money than it will cost to litigate it :P
Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #32
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulob View Post
Btw, I tried the real money auction house, to enter you need to have at least $10 in your account. So they are getting 10 dollars from each player to participate on sales.
That's entirely not true. I've sold a few items on the RMAH without having a single cent into my Blizzard balance. So far, it's been a nice way to make a few bucks off playing a somewhat challenging game (inferno Act 3 with a Wizard, what the hell was I thinking), and I certainly don't mind the essentially free money on the side.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu View Post
That's entirely not true. I've sold a few items on the RMAH without having a single cent into my Blizzard balance. So far, it's been a nice way to make a few bucks off playing a somewhat challenging game (inferno Act 3 with a Wizard, what the hell was I thinking), and I certainly don't mind the essentially free money on the side.
He might be telling the truth based on his region. Personally I think it's great when south america chimes in because he's in uncharted gaming territory.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF33 View Post
I'm still waiting for when somebody who plays diablo gets cancer and the EvAv headline will read "BLIZZARD PURPOSELY GIVING CUSTOMERS CANCER. IS THE RMAH TO BLAME?"
That was last weeks news. You need to visit more often to keep up.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #35
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

The buyer and the seller lose!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #36
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Perspective...
He's already gotten $500 FOR PLAYING A GAME. Honestly someone should kick his ass for complaining about one bad transaction. The only thing he lost was a virtual item that he tried to charge a ridiculous amount of money for. Cry me a goddamn river.
Terrible argument. I have a lot of fun at my job too, does that mean my company is in the clear if they decide not to pay me?

If someone loves their hobby of quilting is it OK to steal their quilt because at least it was fun to make? If someone is day-trading is it ok if their transaction doesn't go through just because it's a digital?

Things have value and when they are transferred they retain that value regardless of the source of the item. To withhold that value is tantamount to theft or at least misappropriation at best.

EDIT: Since he got his item back I don't know why he doesn't just sell it again... unless the original buyer of a $99 item on a video game came to their senses and decided not to completely waste their money.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #37
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
I completely agree with this 100%, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

(Jim Sterling is keeping a seat warm for me in hell)
The size of the transaction and the method of acquisition might make this seem trival, but if this were a bank that lost $100 of your money you'd be pissed. If it looked like there was a good possibility of that happening on a regular basis I'd expect it to be reported.

As a new way to make money I'd very much expect scrutiny and coverage from a variety of sources especially financial outlets. They need stories too.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #38
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
"gamers are fags"
Dude, please change your color because as a Dev you should not be bashing the people you'd like to sell to. Seriously, your constant "fuck gamers" attitude sucks.

This guy sold something straight up. It doesn't matter wtf you think about that. He's owed his money or his item back, of which I hear he got his item.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #39
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
As a new way to make money I'd very much expect scrutiny and coverage from a variety of sources especially financial outlets. They need stories too.
It's only a matter of time before gamers unionize against Blizzard.

You heard it here first.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #40
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Dude, please change your color because as a Dev you should not be bashing the people you'd like to sell to. Seriously, your constant "fuck gamers" attitude sucks.
This is EvAv man, the Mos Esiley of gaming sites. Cut the guy some slack BJ, as he has to put up with us bashing games he or his friends may have worked on, or worse, depend on their lively hoods for. As long as he's not singling out posters I don't mind him calling gamers a bunch of assholes. If he's got no other place to vent, what good are our opinions when we turn around the praise his work? It's a give and take world my friend. Respect the lumps with the laughs.
Quote:

Tags
diablo iii