Today 12:07 PM
3 Replies, 257 Views

Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

DC's Watchmen TV Adaptation: Showrunner Reveals New Details

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
In June last year it was reported that a new TV adaptation of the classic DC comic book Watchmen was being developed by HBO. There hasn't been much news about the project since, but now writer and showrunner Damon Lindelof has given fans an update on the project.

Lindelof took to Instagram to post a lengthy essay about the Watchmen TV show. In the piece he speaks about his relationship with Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's groundbreaking comic over the years, his intentions for the adaptation, and the fact that he knows some fans won't be happy that he is making a new version of Watchmen in the first place.

Lindelof explains that he was introduced to Watchmen by his father when he was 12, and he makes it very clear how important it was to both his developing tastes as a writer and his relationship with his father. He then speaks about the numerous times he was offered the job of adapting the books over the past decade, which he declined based largely on the fact that Moore has repeatedly expressed his unhappiness about adaptations of his work.

The note reveals that although Lindelof did ultimately accept the job of leading the new TV version, he is not planning a direct adaptation. "Those issues are sacred ground and will not be retread nor recreated nor reproduced nor rebooted," he said. "They will however be remixed. We are not making a 'sequel' either. This story will be set in the world its creators painstakingly built… but in the tradition of the work that inspired it, this new story must be original.

It has to vibrate with the seismic unpredictability of its own tectonic plates," he continued. "It must ask new questions and explore the world through a fresh lens. Most importantly, it must be contemporary. The Old Testament was specific to the Eighties of Reagan and Thatcher and Gorbachev. Ours needs to resonate with the frequency of Trump and May and Putin and the horse that he rides around on, shirtless. And speaking of Horsemen, The End of the World is off the table… which means the heroes and villains–-as if the two are distinguishable–-are playing for different stakes entirely."

Lindelof also stated that the show will have a diverse team of writers behind it. "In [our writers'] room, Hetero White Men like myself are in the minority," he said. "And as Watchmen is (incorrectly) assumed to be solely our domain, understanding its potential through the perspectives of women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community has been as eye-opening as it has been exhilarating. We've committed to doing the same in front of and behind the camera. And every single person involved with this show absolutely adores Watchmen."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
smgalia
Death Knight

So a team of writers that checks off all the boxes in the identity politics handbook, is going to write a show during the "evil Trump" timeline? Sigh....
Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

nobody watches the watchmen
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Wow, this guy sounds like yet another self-indulgent asshole who thinks they're somehow going to change the world because only THEY can really bring true understanding to the masses. And lookie, they've got the diverse team to do it! It's so diverse that everyone there loves the watchmen! If they wanted a diverse team they'd also have people who hated the Watchmen and a bunch that had no idea what it was.

Newsflash: Watchmen isn't that great people. It is only "great" because it told a decent story using comics as a medium. It is one of the few legs comics have to stand on that could almost be counted as "literature".

People glom on to it looking for legitimacy of their hobby like people glom on to games like "Journey" when they try to prove that video games are "art". At the end of the day we all know it's bullshit and nothing is art or literature just because someone slaps a label on it and says it's so.

Art and literature are only so because some people convinced a bunch of other people they were right about what good art and literature was and everyone wants to be part of that club.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
In [our writers'] room, Hetero White Men like myself are in the minority,
What a pussy.

It is not bad to be white.. it is not bad to be black, yellow, brown or orange.

If all people are equal, why do we need to have diversity?.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
DingBat
Evil Dead

Holy shit, this site has become a septic tank of premature negativity, derision, and just plain old crotchediness. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

What exactly DO you guys like? That's probably a quicker conversation.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

A good product.. I don't care if it is made by russians, martians or a perfect mix of diverse persons...

I don't care about that one thing.

The information about the product is sparse and vague. That is what should be important. nothing else.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Holy shit, this site has become a septic tank of premature negativity, derision, and just plain old crotchediness. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Damon Lindelof
Count me out.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Newsflash: Watchmen isn't that great people.
You're not that great.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post

If all people are equal, why do we need to have diversity?.
Because people are equal.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

If Damon had said cisgender white devil scum instead of Hetero White Man, I would have bought his social justice credentials.

I actually would like to see comic book series premised on a Superman-esque character named Hetero White Man who cannot use his powers to help others unless they are also Hetero White Men. Not because HWM loses his power or doesn't want to help everyone, but because everyone who isn't a Hetero White Man doesn't want the help of someone who isn't Non-Hetero, Non-White, or Non-Male like them.

I dunno, rough idea, but there is something to the whole "With great privilege comes the baggage of jealous people wishing for your great privilege."
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
If Damon had said cisgender white devil scum instead of Hetero White Man, I would have bought his social justice credentials.

I actually would like to see comic book series premised on a Superman-esque character named Hetero White Man who cannot use his powers to help others unless they are also Hetero White Men. Not because HWM loses his power or doesn't want to help everyone, but because everyone who isn't a Hetero White Man doesn't want the help of someone who isn't Non-Hetero, Non-White, or Non-Male like them.

I dunno, rough idea, but there is something to the whole "With great privilege comes the baggage of jealous people wishing for your great privilege."
I fail to see how wanting equal rights and equal access to opportunity is being "jealous" of those that have it. I was under the impression that America was about the idea that it's a God Given Right.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #14
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

I thought America was about self-determination, living in a plurality, and an intense fear of government, collective power, or, hell, simply "The Other". Oh, and guns.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #15
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I fail to see how wanting equal rights and equal access to opportunity is being "jealous" of those that have it. I was under the impression that America was about the idea that it's a God Given Right.
JazG has a blind spot as big as he naive , and we all know now how that is.
What you just missed JazG that this was identity politics ensemble not a meritorious credentialed (by Alan's standards) team to write stories in Watchmen, yeah you just voted for HuffPo.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

This sounds like shit. Watchmen that doesn't tell the Watchmen story and is written by a bunch of people picked for their identity politics instead of their talent? Yea, that's totally going to work.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
JazG has a blind spot as big as he naive , and we all know now how that is.
What you just missed JazG that this was identity politics ensemble not a meritorious credentialed (by Alan's standards) team to write stories in Watchmen, yeah you just voted for HuffPo.
You have absolutely no idea WHO is in the writers room. You know literally nothing about that them other than that, as Lindleoff states, they aren't exclusively straight white men. To impugn their merit is purely you INVENTING facts to support your predetermined idea that they don't "deserve" to be there.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #18
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
You have absolutely no idea WHO is in the writers room. You know literally nothing about that them other than that, as Lindleoff states, they aren't exclusively straight white men. To impugn their merit is purely you INVENTING facts to support your predetermined idea that they don't "deserve" to be there.
No but when they start touting this stuff, the results are often crap because you know dammed well that it's a marketing ploy. It's also funny that you bring up merit because that's what people want. They want writers of merit making good stories. It's not time for a gay or female or Latino interpretation of Watchmen. It's time for a GOOD Watchmen, no matter who writes it. Tell me how good the stories are, not that they were written by a corporate approved series of check boxes. Heck, if you asked me, I'd rather be known as a good writer than a white writer. It always seemed demeaning to do it the other way almost like when you tell your kids that "for their age" they're good at something. These things are not mutually exclusive in theory but when they are your main aims (as is often the case) they usually are in practice.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #19
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
No but when they start touting this stuff, the results are often crap because you know dammed well that it's a marketing ploy. It's also funny that you bring up merit because that's what people want. They want writers of merit making good stories. It's not time for a gay or female or Latino interpretation of Watchmen. It's time for a GOOD Watchmen, no matter who writes it. Tell me how good the stories are, not that they were written by a corporate approved series of check boxes. Heck, if you asked me, I'd rather be known as a good writer than a white writer. It always seemed demeaning to do it the other way almost like when you tell your kids that "for their age" they're good at something. These things are not mutually exclusive in theory but when they are your main aims (as is often the case) they usually are in practice.
The problem with what you are saying is that a “good watchmen” work is an impossibility to define. What is good to one is not necessarily good to another.

There are many women who dont like traditionally “male” works of media not because they couldn’t, but because they dont like the way women are depicted or treated in the work. Therefore, while they might like the themes and objectives of Watchmen, they might not think its “good”. Its easy to see how women might not like a story in which there are nearly no female characters, and one of them is raped, one of them is murdered, and one of them exists purely to find out about the rape and the murder.

Seth Rogan talks about his making Neighbors, the film where he plays a character who gets in a prank war wiTh his next door neighbor. In his initial draft, the male character was in the prank war and his wife was the disapproving nag. His wife read the script and asked if it wouldn’t be more fun if the girl got to be involved too. He said he thought that was a good idea, and the end result was a “better”, more accessible movie.

Diversity makes things better because the WORLD is diverse. Reality is diverse. No one person understands or can qualify the realities of the universe because they have limited perspective. This is relevant to corporations because it allows them to do businesss with a more broad spectrum of consumers. It’s relevant to culture because it moves culture in the direction of greater understanding of a more broad spectrum of life and society. Diversity increases empathy and constructive solutions to human problems. And diversity is important to art because, frankly, it helps avoid people looking like utter fools.

There is a popular business axiom that makes it into hundreds upon hundreds of advertising books. The story is that the Chevy Nova would not sell in Mexico because “nova” in Spanish means “won’t go”. I read this same story in at least a dozen marketing books and only one of them had the wherewithal to point out that, while the story may have marketing educational value, it’s not true.

https://www.thoughtco.com/chevy-nova...dnt-go-3078090

It’s just an urban legend, sure. But like many urban legends revolving around people who are different, it depends on the idea that foreign people are too stupid or backwards to figure out basic concepts. The main fallacy of everyone who printed this story as true is their inability to simply... ask someone. They printed a story about Latin Americans without ever asking a single Latin American if the story was true, or even made SENSE. Believe it or not, American culture is FULL of similar nonsense where a tiny bit of diversity on the development team for a project could save the project from perpetuating not just offensive content, but many times outright lies and untruths.

Last edited by JazGalaxy; 05-24-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #20
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

What kind of drugs were you on when writing that?
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watchmen