Call of Cthulhu -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 08:48 AM
0 Replies, 284 Views

Old 03-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Fortnite Cross-Play is Coming to Xbox One, PC, Mac and iOS

Epic Games has announced that Fortnite cross-play is coming between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS and eventually Android.

Quote:
Were happy to announce today that in partnership with our friends at Microsoft, Fortnite will feature cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-purchase, between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS and (in the next few months) Android.

Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles. Weve been working together with them over the last several months to make this possible, and will bring this functionality to Fortnite players on Xbox right along with other platforms.

With each new platform we support and every update we ship, we strive to bring Fortnite to more people, and make it easier to play together with friends. And, as always, cross-play is opt in.

As we shared a few days ago, starting Monday you can sign-up for the Fortnite Invite Event on iOS. On phones and tablets, Fortnite is the same 100-player game you know from Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac. Same gameplay, same map, same content, same weekly updates.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

So... mandatory XBLG account for Android players? Or did Microsoft finally cave?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

2016 says "hi" Scherge -- https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2016/03/...x-updates-gdc/

Several games have supported Cross Play from Xbox to PC without being "Windows Store" games.

Quote:
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

So, is this the broadest support for a single game? Amazing either way!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
So, is this the broadest support for a single game? Amazing either way!
Minecraft might tie it? That is cross play everywhere except PSN. Switch and even play with Xbox and PC I think.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 AM   #6
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
2016 says "hi" Scherge -- https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2016/03/...x-updates-gdc/

Several games have supported Cross Play from Xbox to PC without being "Windows Store" games.
Huh - I stand corrected. In my defense: It's not like Microsoft just magically opened their system for anyone to play with them:
https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/15/min...s-says-mojang/

Since cross-platform support for "Rocket League" was announced at the same event, I just assumed it would use similar restrictions. Also, if I understand correctly, the games that allow XBL-free cross-play (mostly Rocket League) seem to have reduced functionality compared to playing on the same platform - like no parties, no league play and no auto-matchmaking.

Still, it seems I was fundamentally wrong there, so... thanks for the correction, I guess.

Edit: I understand this tactical back-and-forth less and less. According to the "Fortnite" FAQ, PC and PS4 already had cross-progression (unlike XB1), and the Battle Royale mode was/is free there (no PS+ required)? Why? I thought "Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play"...

Quote:
Q: What about my in-game progression?

A: Cross-progression is supported on PC/Mac and PS4 only. Players must link their PSN account to their Epic ID in order to enable cross-progression. Link your accounts here.
Xbox One does not support cross-progression.
Quote:
Q: Do I need Xbox Live Gold to play Fortnite Battle Royale?

A: Yes. You do need Xbox Live Gold in order to play Fortnite Battle Royale on Xbox.

Q: Do I need PlayStation Plus to play Fortnite Battle Royale?

A: No. You do not need PS Plus in order to play Fortnite Battle Royale on PlayStation.

Last edited by Scherge; 03-13-2018 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Added info from the FAQ.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic games, fortnite