Men in Black & Shaft...
Last post by MavenACTG
Today 07:53 AM
12 Replies, 982 Views

Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Jordan Peeleís US

Heading out to see the movie in a few minutes! Reactions when I get back. Iíve got high hopes for this one, I only watched the first trailer so I donít think too much of the movie is spoiled for me. (Iím looking at you Brightburn.)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I look forward to the review!
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Back!

What a fun movie. If you watched Get Out and you were thinking (as I was) that this would be another race-baiting message movie then you were way wrong. This is just a regular horror movie without any real social message or undertones. (Perhaps a bit about government control, but nothing political at all.)

It’s a cross between a horror movie and a dark comedy. A lot of the movie, intentional or not, is pretty hilarious. I think people were laughing a lot more than they were scared or tense.

The performances across the board were top notch. Personally, I saw the twist ending coming about a billion miles away... I knew what the twist was going to be from about the first 5 minutes of the movie, but your mileage may vary. My son went to the movie with me and he hadn’t seen the trailers so he didn’t see the ending coming and didn’t know anything about the movie.

It’s a straight up fun dark comedy with a lot of weird bits to chew on and a lot of crazy imagery going on. You might never look at rabbits the same way again.

Highly recommended. If he is directing the new Twilight Zone Tv series for Netflix, we shoul get some great episodes.

I don’t want to say too much about the film itself so that I’m not giving away a bunch of spoilers, I’ll just say we had a great time and I recommend the film.

It’s got a small amount of gore, but really it hardly rates the R-rating. I’m almost surprised that it didn’t get a PG-13. It’s on the tail end of PG-13, so it’s pretty safe for teens to see this one.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #4
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Just got back from seeing it as well. It was alright. There were things that bothered me and were a bit annoying. My wife said "The trailer was way better than the movie." There were some great performances and some Kubrick-esque scenes & cinematography that stood out as well.

I'd say the "B" Cinemascore is about right. It was cool, I don't regret going to see it.

Next week looks good with SHAZAM! and Pet Cemetery. I'll be seeing both, Shazam first.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Just got back from seeing it as well. It was alright. There were things that bothered me and were a bit annoying.
Well, from a narrative point of view, the story is a complete mess and makes no sense at all. Which isn't really a bad thing, because the movie was pretty fun to watch and and good performances.

As a writer, Peele needs a lot of work. Get Out didn't make any sense either. If they were doing brain transplants... then why bother with hypnosis? Why is there anything at all left of the original person if you are yanking out the whole brain and putting it into another body?

You have to kinda overlook the fact that he isn't great at story and is pretty good at getting decent performances out of people and putting together a decent movie. He is one to watch for sure because his writing will probably get better the more movies he does.

I'm not decided about either Pet Semetary or Shazam. Shazam looks like too much of a kids film and Semetary looks like too much of a remake. I will probably be holding off for a few weeks till Avengers comes out.