0 Replies, 116 Views
How To Post YouTube...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:54 AM
0 Replies, 101 Views

Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

MS, Square Enix "Very Happy" with Rise of the Tomb Raider, Despite Getting Xboned

Word on the street is that Rise of the Tomb Raider, an Xbox One timed exclusive, is not selling well, even though the game got good reviews and feedback from gamers. Crystal Dynamics Game Director Brian Horton said that Microsoft and Square Enix are very happy with the work that Crystal and Eidos Montreal did on Rise of the Tomb Raider, despite the poor returns. Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Responding to fans on the Tomb Raider forum in a thread discussing unofficial reports of the title's sales, Horton said his team was focusing on the game's positive reviews and fan feedback (thanks, NeoGAF).

There has so far been no official tally for Rise of the Tomb Raider sales from either publisher Square Enix or platform holder Microsoft.

Horton did not comment specifically on the game's sales performance, but responded to the suggestion that the reported numbers reflected "poorly" on developer Crystal Dynamics.

"I didn't mean to go off topic or patronise, but there was suggestion in the thread that the reported sales numbers reflect poorly on the dev team," Horton wrote.

"Square/Microsoft are happy with Crystal and Eidos Montreal and the game itself. As to the topic of sales, I'm unqualified to discuss it so I won't have anything else to say on this thread."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
PsychoticVile
Evil Dead

The problem wasn't it being an Xbox exclusive, the problem was releasing the same day as Fallout 4 and a week or so ahead of Star Wars Battlefront, two of the most anticipated games of the year. If they would of released it a couple months earlier it probably would of sold better. It's a good game, the franchise just doesn't have the Fallout and Star Wars draw.
PsychoticVile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I wanted to buy and play the game...but I can't until next year when the PS4 version comes out.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticVile View Post
The problem wasn't it being an Xbox exclusive, the problem was releasing the same day as Fallout 4 and a week or so ahead of Star Wars Battlefront, two of the most anticipated games of the year. If they would of released it a couple months earlier it probably would of sold better. It's a good game, the franchise just doesn't have the Fallout and Star Wars draw.
Bethesda really dropped a bomb, no pun intended, on the industry by announcing Fallout mere months away from shipping it. MS already had their plans in the works at that point. To change it was probably out of the question. And, let's be honest, if MS changed the release date a week before ro a week after, it wouldn't have made any difference.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticVile View Post
Your theory would explain why Fallout 4 and Battlefront are outselling it. But it does not explain why Rise of the Tomb Raider is currently #102 on the Amazon Video Games Best Sellers list.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I wanted to buy and play the game...but I can't until next year when the PS4 version comes out.
Yup. Same here.
walstib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Gonna wait 4 Ps4 version
Old 11-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
wunshot
Subscriber

Me too (ps4)
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

It's a great game so far. I might re-buy for pc.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:28 AM   #10
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
Why don't you own a x bone?

You seem to be a true gamer like myself. I have EVERYTHING. It isn't that expensive to pick one up. Like I tell everybody at Costc*. A true gamer doesn't argue about consoles, they buy them all. Yes there are differences but money is not that big of a problem for me. 300 for a console. NO. 5000 every few months to a lawyer to see my 7 year old, YES.

I love your videos but some of the games/systems you have are hilarious. With all due respect Sir, GO BUY A XBOX for this game. Think of all the other exclusives you are missing out on and the BC is awesome!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 AM   #11
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
I love your videos but some of the games/systems you have are hilarious. With all due respect Sir, GO BUY A XBOX for this game. Think of all the other exclusives you are missing out on and the BC is awesome!
I'd like to support that notion.

Also, yes, "Rise of the Tomb Raider" seems to be a great game and looks spectacular in places. Unfortunately, it's not really for me. I was gifted a code, so I played it for a bit, but I'm really not a fan of the "more realistic" style. I don't want my protagonists to be hurting or bleeding or freezing or sweating or drowning all the time. I'm firmly pro Sean Connery when it comes to Bond.

What were we talking about again?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #12
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

prob cause it has no exclusives he likes outside this timed exclusive?

Freaking Halo released and made no noise

if that doesn't tell you how things be then I don't know what to say
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

MS really needs to do Crystal Dynamics a solid and do a Tomb Raider Packin Bundle. It can't happen soon enough. CD should live.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Think of all the other exclusives you are missing out on and the BC is awesome!
The exclusives available on the XB1, and to a lesser degree on the PS4, are like a thin, watery soup; great if you're starving to death, but not satisfying otherwise.

The BC on the XB1 is the same. Incomplete, requiring a printout to figure out what's available and what's not. That's not BC. That's BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
MS really needs to do Crystal Dynamics a solid
They did. They dropped a solid right on their corporate head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #15
timmyd
Evil Dead

I think Tomb Raider would have wider appeal if they switched to a Baby Hazel style game play.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:

You seem to be a true gamer like myself. I have EVERYTHING. It isn't that expensive to pick one up. Like I tell everybody at Costc*. A true gamer doesn't argue about consoles, they buy them all. Yes there are differences but money is not that big of a problem for me. 300 for a console. NO. 5000 every few months to a lawyer to see my 7 year old, YES.

Holy fucking shit I can't stop laughing at this.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #17
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
I only add consoles when I have time to actually use it. Right now, there are so many fun PS4 games that if I bought the XBone it would just sit there. Same thing we the WiiU.

Also... I really work two full time jobs: My day job fixing computers... and YouTube. Those videos I put out twice a week add about 40+ hours on top of the day job...It doesn't leave much room for owning every new console and game released.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I bought it when it came out, but haven't even opened it yet. Playing too much other stuff still. Came out on the worst date possible.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #19
Azrael
Evil Dead

If this wasn't a timed exclusive I would have bought it day 1 for PC. Apparently the game is amazing and I loved the last one.

But you release it for PC one year after Xbox? F U Square Enix. I'm not paying top $ for a game thats one year old. This just became bargin bin fodder... I'll be playing this in a couple years time. Already waiting 1 year, does it become a difference if it becomes 2?
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
Nowyn
Dread Lord

Quote:
I only add consoles when I have time to actually use it. Right now, there are so many fun PS4 games that if I bought the XBone it would just sit there. Same thing we the WiiU.
My philosophy as well. And Tomb Raider isnt enough for me to buy an XBoxOne. I've never been a fan unfortunately. As of yet there hasnt been a thing out for the XBoxOne that I want. I have to keep stopping myself from getting the WiiU for Xenoblade Chronicles as I'll probably hate myself later when I'm disappointed in the game.
Nowyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crystal dynamics, eidos montreal, microsoft, rise of the tomb raider, square enix