Report: Steam Halloween,...
Last post by MadMurdock_0311
Yesterday 05:48 PM
4 Replies, 703 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #21
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I like your point Vallor, but knowing a bunch of movie trivia isn't the same thing as having watched a TON of movies, I've seen all the films you referenced in your post (most of them multiple times) and I still would have struggled to answer those questions, or at least my answers would have been slightly different.

The idea is the same, a list of the Top 100 films of all time and I doubt most current movie reviewers would have seen even 20% of that list and more, I think that not seeing the more obscure and indie films wouldn't give them the knowledge of how/why/where some directors got their ideas. George Lucas got his ideas from old Samuri movies, Tarantino still draws most of his inspiration from Grindhouse films and Spagetti westerns.

And to bring it back around to games, if you weren't playing Tomb Raider back before the new reboot you really can't grasp the idea that Lara Croft SHOULD be a character who is both sexy and tough and not just one or the other.

There is a reason the current Tomb Raider games struggle to meet sales goals. They forgot one of the big reasons the character was popular.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

And to add to that idea, I predict that this movie will fail. Charlese Theron can get away being a tough character and sell movie tickets because she is already super popular, that isn't true with this actress who has basically one film under her belt where she mostly sat on the floor and gave witty answers in a monotone voice. That's not much reach.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 AM   #23
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
There is a reason the current Tomb Raider games struggle to meet sales goals. They forgot one of the big reasons the character was popular.
You mean... two of the big reasons, right?

In my opinion, its legacy as a game is holding the "Tomb Raider" franchise back, as absurd as that may sound. The games market nowadays is 20 (50? 100?) times bigger than it was twenty years ago, but the audience is completely different from what it was back then. The original Tomb Raider was an amazing experience on the PlayStation, but it's generally only remembered for featuring Lara Croft, a young woman with enormous boobs and lots of money. That's not something that the modern, politically correct mainstream audience will admit to like, whereas books have become cool again and can get away with stuff like "Twilight" or "Fifty Shades of Grey". Unfortunately, the production budgets for games (and movies, but not to the same extent) have skyrocketed. Thus, the "old" type of audience - which certainly still exists today - is no longer sufficient to cover these costs. Hence, teenage Lara and "Hunger Games" Tomb Raider.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #24
LostToys
Evil Dead

Boob size aside, the lack of tombs to raid is one of the biggest changes from the old games to the new games. The new games are all about fighting the element and people, while the first two game were about fighting animals/aliens/mummies/extinct creatures as you worked your way through ancient tombs. Exploring and navigation, combat and athleticism (how cool was it to do a hand stand to jump into water; duel wield pistols and cartwheel/backflip while firing at an alligator/gorilla/T-Rex?!). The new games, and presumably the movie, will be more Uncharted than old school Tomb Raider. That is a major turn off for me.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #25
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Late but I've seen some edits of the poster. I found them amusing.

ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tomb raider