Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

This looks like it could be entertaining, but it looks fundamentally different enough from King's story to make me irritated with the association. Just make a new story involving fog and mysterious, scary shit. Don't try to play it off as being related, when it's really not.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Azzy
Cthulian

yeah, as a huge, huge fan of the source material this holds almost no interest for me. that and it just sorta looks cheap and slapped together.
just following the story has been done so i'm down with a spin off, and just having the show be about people in a mall instead of a grocery store would be kind of lame. i was hoping that it would be something along the lines of a 'six months later' kind of thing as I think people really would start to figure out what to avoid, how to fight back, etc.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
This looks like it could be entertaining, but it looks fundamentally different enough from King's story to make me irritated with the association. Just make a new story involving fog and mysterious, scary shit. Don't try to play it off as being related, when it's really not.
Well, this is what happens when you take a novella and turn it into a longform story. It's expanding upon the story and concept introduced in the novella, which is fine with me.

It still has the store, the mist, the monsters and crazy people; there's just more of it, now.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

I honestly don't know that I've seen a truly 'surprisingly scary' horror film since the original Nightmare on Elm Street. They just seem to keep walking the same paths, over and over again. This seems like more of the same to me.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I think this is a great idea. The book and the movie leave a lot unexplored. Why not have some more fun with the story?

This is a great property to do it with.

I'm all for this one.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Do they plan to have any monsters in their monster movie? Because I'm still not seeing any.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, this is what happens when you take a novella and turn it into a longform story. It's expanding upon the story and concept introduced in the novella, which is fine with me.

It still has the store, the mist, the monsters and crazy people; there's just more of it, now.
Did the original story have crazy people? I don't remember that.

I really enjoyed the idea in the original story that a door to another dimension had been opened by a government experiment gone awry and the ecosystem on the other side was spilling over.

This looks like some kind of generic, "The mist is mutating people into angry fall-apart people. Don't let them near you or you might need a shower. Oh, and they might bite and paw at you a bunch too!"

I like the idea of having to come to grips with another ecosystem. Mutated, mindless anything just feels like generic, lazy story telling to me. If you're going to expand on something, let's see more details for how an ecosystem from another dimension/planet might have evolved, and how it might interact with our own. There's more than enough room in there for a ton of creativity.

Examples:

What's creepier/scarier? A mutant zombie human clawing at a window and trying to get in? Or...

Seeing some unrecognizable form through the mist, munching on an Earth animal (cow, deer, etc.), and knowing that you're lucky it didn't see you first? (But might in a second)

A medium sized creature showing genuine curiosity as it peers through the window at some frightened humans, only to get scooped up and devoured by some larger predator?

An Earth predator kills and eats something from the other dimension, and then has a negative, painful reaction to what it just ate?

Those are all examples of a situation I can imagine from the original story. Again, I don't remember angry mutating humans in the original story, and the idea just doesn't sound very interesting to me.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
Did the original story have crazy people? I don't remember that.
If you don't remember the crazy people in the grocery store - ready, willing and able to sacrifice someone to God...then, I'd say you missed a fundamental part of the story!

Quote:
I really enjoyed the idea in the original story that a door to another dimension had been opened by a government experiment gone awry and the ecosystem on the other side was spilling over.

This looks like some kind of generic, "The mist is mutating people into angry fall-apart people. Don't let them near you or you might need a shower. Oh, and they might bite and paw at you a bunch too!"

I like the idea of having to come to grips with another ecosystem. Mutated, mindless anything just feels like generic, lazy story telling to me. If you're going to expand on something, let's see more details for how an ecosystem from another dimension/planet might have evolved, and how it might interact with our own. There's more than enough room in there for a ton of creativity.
They've already stated there will be monsters in the series. There's absolutely no indication the connection to military experimentation has been removed.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
If you don't remember the crazy people in the grocery store - ready, willing and able to sacrifice someone to God...then, I'd say you missed a fundamental part of the story!

They've already stated there will be monsters in the series. There's absolutely no indication the connection to military experimentation has been removed.
I think they mean affected by the fog crazies? Not driven mad by the situation...

I didn't get that from this. I took it as they were as good as dead begging for help...

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
I think they mean affected by the fog crazies? Not driven mad by the situation...

I didn't get that from this. I took it as they were as good as dead begging for help...
It's the lady at 0:51 with the torn jaw that's making me think humans are going crazy/mutating in the fog (not just post-apocalyptic crazy). But maybe she's just trying to get in so she can find some duct tape or staples for her face. *shrug*

Tags
the mist