Today 12:47 PM
912 Replies, 152,110 Views

Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

PlayStation VR Demo Disc Includes 18 Playable Demos

Quote:
All the Games on the PlayStation VR Demo Disc

When it comes to VR, seeing is believing. It’s hard to get a sense of the magical worlds that VR transports you to by just reading about the games, or seeing photos and videos. For that reason, we’re including a free demo disc in each retail PlayStation VR unit (both the launch bundle and core unit) that’s jam-packed with content.

he disc includes demos of entertainment and gaming content spanning across a wide variety of diverse genres. That way, you can get a sense of the content you enjoy the most and can even click to purchase and download the game after trying the demo.

Also, if your friends have a PS4 system but have not played PS VR yet, just bring your PS VR and demo disc over to their place so they can have a go!

Now without further ado, here’s what you get on the disc:

• Allumette (Penrose)
• Battlezone (Rebellion)
• DriveClub VR (SIE WWS)
• Eve: Valkyrie (CCP Games)
• Gnog (KO_OP)
• Harmonix Music VR (Harmonix Music Systems)
• Headmaster (Frame Interactive)
• Here They Lie (SIE WWS)
• Job Simulator (Owlchemy Labs)
• PlayStation VR Worlds (SIE WWS)
• Resident Evil 7 biohazard — Kitchen Teaser (Capcom CO., LTD.)
• Rez Infinite (Enhance Games)
• Rigs Mechanized Combat League (SIE WWS)
• Thumper (Drool)
• Tumble VR (SIE WWS)
• Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (SIE WWS)
• Wayward Sky (Uber Entertainment)
• Within (Within)

The demo disc will also be available for download at PlayStation Store for free after PS VR launches.
blog.us.playstation.com

The sooner this dies a quick death, the sooner Sony (and everyone else) can get back to trying to create great games.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I'm hoping the next generation Oculus Rift or HTC Vive is higher resolution and more reasonably priced than the current models. Then I might jump on board.

Same goes for PlayStation VR. I will wait to see what it's like when we there's a PS5 and newer headset.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The sooner this dies a quick death, the sooner Sony (and everyone else) can get back to trying to create great games.
Do you truly believe that PSVR (or VR in general) can't give birth to "great games" and compelling experiences?

Personally, immersion is huge to me, and what better way to supply that then through VR?

Sure, not all games are a good fit, and maybe VR doesn't work well with longer games (which isn't a problem for me since I have so little time to sink into one single game). But it seems to me we've heard about a lot of really positive experiences from those who've played so far.

And yeah, the technology will definitely improve in the future. But not if no one buys into what's available now to help fund what's to come. The fact that there are so many good things to try in the meantime, helps.

I'm looking forward to this.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
Do you truly believe that PSVR (or VR in general) can't give birth to "great games" and compelling experiences?

Personally, immersion is huge to me, and what better way to supply that then through VR?

Sure, not all games are a good fit, and maybe VR doesn't work well with longer games (which isn't a problem for me since I have so little time to sink into one single game). But it seems to me we've heard about a lot of really positive experiences from those who've played so far.

And yeah, the technology will definitely improve in the future. But not if no one buys into what's available now to help fund what's to come. The fact that there are so many good things to try in the meantime, helps.

I'm looking forward to this.
I personally think VR could give birth to great games, but I'm not sure that the conditions are quite right for it. One thing I won't do is sink dollars into this system in hopes of helping the funding of what's to come; my gaming dollars will be spent on what I believe will provide me with enough entertainment to warrant the cost of entry. If there is a VR game that comes out that seems really amazing to me, I'll jump in, otherwise I'm cautious and not apt to investing in VR yet.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
oh come off it. VR is amazing, it's also very new. Give it time. There are already great games out there that support VR and are better for it.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
f there is a VR game that comes out that seems really amazing to me, I'll jump in, otherwise I'm cautious and not apt to investing in VR yet.
What if no single, epic game comes out that warrants a purchase, but there are a ton of really great smaller experiences? Would you buy one for 10 really great 5-hour experiences (with the promise of more to come, of course), for example?

I personally don't think a 10+ hours game is a good fit for VR unless VR is only a part of the overall experience and not the full game. (Not counting racing games or something else with short-session gameplay)
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Nowyn
Ethos Knight

I am also looking for that killer app, but I did buy the Oculus. Playing Elite Dangerous on it is amazing, but it does make me sick after awhile, very vertigo and puke worthy for me. Then again I dont handle boats on the sea (or any body of water) at all.
Nowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
What if no single, epic game comes out that warrants a purchase, but there are a ton of really great smaller experiences? Would you buy one for 10 really great 5-hour experiences (with the promise of more to come, of course), for example?

I personally don't think a 10+ hours game is a good fit for VR unless VR is only a part of the overall experience and not the full game. (Not counting racing games or something else with short-session gameplay)
For 50 hours, assuming those games don't offer a lot of reply value past the 5-hour per? Probably not. Launching at $399, and assuming I'd need to buy 10 different titles at, for the sake of argument, $20 a pop, it'd be a $600 investment for 50 hours of fun.

I think VR may have a problem, at least out the gate, with games targeting VR possibly not having a lot of reply value -- like a horror game. It could be fun for a few hours or so, but once you've experienced it, the thrill probably wears off.

With a PS4 or XB1, I personally get use out of them outside of gaming. Is there a use for VR outside of gaming? Sure, but will I personally utilize it? Probably not.

So, this isn't me trying to piss on VR; I just don't have anything pulling me towards it, as most of the games that are focused on VR seem rather limited and I, at this time, believe the cost of entry for the PS4 VR is too high for what it seems to be offering.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Man, Evil... a little cynical?
I really hope they get this stuff right. Every gamer wants VR to be awesome and succeed.
They have to start somewhere, and it looks like they have done their homework on the difficult parts.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
screwyluie
Evil Dead

people are too focused on these 'experiences'. they fun and good demos of what VR can be. However you have to realize that we already have games that were great before VR, like elite dangerous and project cars among others. Add in non gaming stuff like 360 videos and there really is a lot of great content already and it's only going to get better as the tech grows.

just watched a 360 video today of nasa's astronauts training in the pool and it was really cool. I wish it was longer. Even if gaming doesn't take off (which it will) I'm thrilled to have 360 videos. I see these taking off like wildfire, allowing people to experience things they wouldn't otherwise have a chance to.

I also took 360 video and panarama photos (with sound) while I was on vacation. I love showing it to people, they're amazed at being able to look around the places I went and hear the things going on... like being there almost. It's my new favorite thing on vacation.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

My review of The Rift:

I am not impressed. I feel not only did I back the losing team, I feel like backing VR at all at this point was a very bad and expensive idea at all.

Having seen some of the best it has to offer as a commercial device I don't believe it has much to offer now or in the future. I think people are better off saving their $1000 for AR devices.

Having had the chance to spend a LOT of time with the Vive I can say my feelings about the Vive are only slightly more positive. Room movement and touch controls do make a big difference but the hardware is not nearly as elegant as the Rift. Same problems with focusing and so on.

Here is why my Rift was a waste of money even beyond the teathering:

*To do a lot of cool stuff is expensive as hell.

*As light as it is a few hours it is still pretty heavy

*The lens always look a little out of focus because focus is based on placing the mask vertically on your face

*Lens fogs up easy

*Say it with me: SCREEN DOOR EFFECT! They were supposed to have solved that. If Rift and Vive can't how is Sony going to with even worse optics?

*If you use anything like BigScreen or Virtual Desktop to do useful things the resolution of the device at any sort of usable distance makes for unreadable text (sort of related to the last few lens problems but bad enough I wanted to call it out)

*It has very specific requirements to do media stuff (like where it can find videos)

*No fucking netflix (though the GearVR, based on Oculus SDK does have Netflix... wtf)

*Stupid, stupid, stupid install process for software (installs are serialized and won't continue to the next unless you manually intervene in the most recent install)

*And maybe worst of all: didn't ship with the Oculus Touch controllers which means 90% of the best stuff is not supported because they require the touch controller which only shipped for Vive AND I'm going to have to spend another $300 probably at Xmas or Q1 to get them. I don't care if I'm first in line thanks to pre-order or not.

Maybe one day I'll do up a real review like I did for the Gear VR. Right now I haven't been able to spend the time I want with it but my first impressions have been very bad. Maybe when I can put a much greater amount of time into the content (or they actually come out with more content supported, unlike Vive which is supported by EVERYTHING) my opinions will soften.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:48 AM   #12
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

I think the Vive is amazing and the level of experience far outweighs the price for me.. this level of VR far exceeded my expectations. I got the Vive first so the Oculus was far less impressive, however having used both extensively i'd only get an Oculus if I simply did not have the room for the Vive.. though that opinion could change with the touch controllers. Out of the box then the Vive is by far the best VR experience of the two... I simply can't see how PSVR can be anywhere near these two though.. not tried it but one things clear VR fundamentally needs serious horsepower.. hence why all the comments about too low resolution are pointless.. the PC power isn't there yet... so ya know that's a good thing as it will drive PC performance (and consoles PS4Pro etc).. so every facet of gaming "wins".

Main issue currently is software quality, it's lots of demos and mobile phone shovelware.. still there are some gems in there.. even simplistic games take on a whole new level in VR but it does become less impressive and just being in VR stops being enough eventually. This is the only area that PSVR is compelling... it could get some good games.

This is a good and bad point.. companies simply can't port over their games and it work well in VR, it's very clear early on with VR that a game has to be designed from the ground up for VR, but due to this were at least going to get new different experiences.

Currently VR is a niche gamer product that looks like it's going to take many years to go mainstream. It's currently bumping up against a technology limit so to expect 4K to each eye and wireless etc currently isn't possible and on top of that at the fraction of the cost of a smart phone is an unrealistic expectation.. or any other specific criteria someone arbitrarily decides is required before they jump into VR :0| . The Vive and to a lesser extent the Oculus are the first step in viable VR and for me personally they are a great ones.

Normally companies deliberately iterate either by forced obsolescence or design to fail but here I believe were genuinely at the cutting edge so I don't think they are holding back and VR is the best it can realistically be now, its got a long way to go but even now it's very compelling tech that many have been waiting to arrive for several decades and it's pretty damn good now.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #13
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
Main issue currently is software quality, it's lots of demos and mobile phone shovelware.. still there are some gems in there.. even simplistic games take on a whole new level in VR but it does become less impressive and just being in VR stops being enough eventually. This is the only area that PSVR is compelling... it could get some good games.

This is a good and bad point.. companies simply can't port over their games and it work well in VR, it's very clear early on with VR that a game has to be designed from the ground up for VR, but due to this were at least going to get new different experiences.
I agree with most of what you said, but I wanted to stress the content of these two paragraphs. There are great VR experiences (mostly in the form of 1st-party demos), but I have yet to see a single great VR game. I do hope that flight simulators make a return of sorts (and I mean serious, slow flight simulators, not "Ace Combat" shoot'em ups), but I'm not buying a headset to play "Elite: Dangerous" or "Star Citizen" - whenever that may come out.

Looking at the history of developers, publishers, customers and new peripherals/hardware, I have very low hopes that VR games will be a thing in the near future. Just compare it to the Wii motion controls or mobile touchscreen games! "It'll take some time, but the resulting games will be revolutionary and incredible", the optimists said. Where are we, 10 years later? Wii games never evolved past stupid party games, and most popular mobile titles still use the same mechanisms as "Bejeweled" or "FarmVille" did on PC.

And while we're at it: Where's my bloody hoverboard???
Old 09-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #14
Juan
Evil Dead

The core problem as I see it is that your girlfriend, family and friends are going to see you with the headset on and point and laugh and call you a loser nerd. For that reason, the tech will remain niche.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead

If only there was still an arcade scene, this tech would be great for it. imagine a Top Gun VR game with a realistic F14 cabinet and control panel plus VR headset. The tech is perfect for arcades as custom control panels that the game knows about would really sell the experience but you just cannot do that in a home environment.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
There are great VR experiences (mostly in the form of 1st-party demos), but I have yet to see a single great VR game
Quote:
but I'm not buying a headset to play "Elite: Dangerous" or "Star Citizen"
Quote:
The core problem as I see it is that your girlfriend, family and friends are going to see you with the headset on and point and laugh and call you a loser nerd. For that reason, the tech will remain niche.
I had no idea the world was so insecure with their self image. Sad really.

Quote:
Here is why my Rift was a waste of money even beyond the teathering:

*To do a lot of cool stuff is expensive as hell.

*As light as it is a few hours it is still pretty heavy

*The lens always look a little out of focus because focus is based on placing the mask vertically on your face

*Lens fogs up easy

*Say it with me: SCREEN DOOR EFFECT! They were supposed to have solved that. If Rift and Vive can't how is Sony going to with even worse optics?

*If you use anything like BigScreen or Virtual Desktop to do useful things the resolution of the device at any sort of usable distance makes for unreadable text (sort of related to the last few lens problems but bad enough I wanted to call it out)

*It has very specific requirements to do media stuff (like where it can find videos)

*No fucking netflix (though the GearVR, based on Oculus SDK does have Netflix... wtf)

*Stupid, stupid, stupid install process for software (installs are serialized and won't continue to the next unless you manually intervene in the most recent install)

*And maybe worst of all: didn't ship with the Oculus Touch controllers which means 90% of the best stuff is not supported because they require the touch controller which only shipped for Vive AND I'm going to have to spend another $300 probably at Xmas or Q1 to get them. I don't care if I'm first in line thanks to pre-order or not.
I'm not a fan of the rift, I think the vive is much more than "slightly more positive". but here we go...

1: yup, but that was expected. You can do most of the same stuff with a phone based HMD for much less if money is a concern.

2: true but I don't think it was ever meant to be worn for hours on end though. you should be taking breaks.

3: I don't get this at all, neither the rift or vive looks out of focus, and both have lens adjustments for this very reason... did you not bother to use them?

4: I suppose this is going to be an individual issue. I've heard it before, but I've never experienced it myself.

5: they did solve it, mostly. The only time you really notice it is with static images, like big picture mode and the like. While the screen is moving (when playing a game or video) you don't notice it at all. I think that's pretty damn impressive considering. I notice the screendoor effect a lot more on my phone HMD which doesn't have fancy lenses to try and combat it.

6: this is a combination of issues, some software, some lenses, some encoding. For instance, reading the HUD in elite dangerous was impossible at first on my phone HMD (using this because it illustrates that issues and I have more controller over it). I found at that it was at first a software issue with the game and steamvr. Once that was patched it was better but not good. I then changed the stream encoding quality to a higher internal (steamvr rendering the game) resolution and all was well, I can not read the hud. So it's a tricky thing to nail down but it can and will be solved at the system matures.

7: this is where third party things like virtual desktop come in handy. It's also where the phone HMD's excel and outpace the rift/vive

8: this is again where the phone HMD is better than the rift/vive. I'm sure they'll get their shit sorted eventually, but for now I can watch absolutely anything I want on my phone HMD.

9: I haven't setup a rift, only the vive, so I can't comment on this. I will continue to mention phone HMD though since this is a particular snag with them... some stuff is super simple. wanna watch a 360 video on youtube? play the video and tap the cardboard button, easy. Wanna watch some random video from any source is not always that easy. Wanna play any game at all not just VR games... well that takes some tinkering as well, but at least you have the option. This is, I think, the biggest short fall of the phone HMD, setup and use is not as fluid and simple as the rift/vive

10: I thought they were $200? which either way it really puts the nail in the coffin of the rift... it's only advantage was being cheaper but when you include all the same hardware as the vive it's more expensive.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Biggest thing for me is the screen door effect. They're gonna need much better displays to make VR truly look good.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
In all likelihood, the "great smaller experiences" would be less than five hours, considering most modern games clock in at the 5-12 hour mark. Regardless, I'd be hesitant to drop the money necessary for any of the VR systems, even if they did have ten truly great experiences (the likelihood of which is slim). The promise of more to come doesn't hold any water, because it would be an empty promise until someone actually delivers. They'd be under no obligation to actually do so and could abandon the platform at a moment's notice as soon as it was logical.

Besides, I want more than just a couple hours out of any game. Hardware and software - regardless of the platform - is expensive and I need more than an hour or three to even begin to justify the expenditure. I'm not rolling in money, so every dollar counts.

Quote:
I completely agree with this notion; with the current level of VR, I'd never want to play through a game that even lasts as long as any of the current titles, let alone some of the 20-40+ hour efforts we saw during the PS2/Xbox/GCN era. Currently, it's better suited for shorter games, playable in smaller increments.

Of course, this works back to my original statement; the current slate of VR offerings are pretty expensive for what amounts to "microexperiences". When it comes to gaming, I want an experience longer than any given movie if I'm being asked to shell out hundreds of dollars for equipment and software. It's almost a Catch-22; I won't spend the money on a system that provides only shorter experiences, but I wouldn't want anything but shorter experiences on this particular platform.

Tags
playstation vr