5 Replies, 649 Views
PUBG Performs Badly on...
Last post by wunshot
Yesterday 12:13 PM
23 Replies, 1,890 Views

Old 10-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Sony Plans "Seven All-New Game Announcements" on Monday at Paris Games Week 2017

Sony plans "seven all-new game announcements" on Monday, October 30th, during its Paris Games Week Media Showcase.

Quote:
The year is winding to a close, but PlayStation is just getting started. This Monday, October 30, PlayStation’s Paris Games Week Media Showcase will begin at 9:00am Pacific Time.

But plan to tune in early at 8:00am! We’ll begin with an introductory livestream featuring 21 game updates, including seven all-new game announcements for PS4 and PS VR. You won’t want to miss it.

Then at 9:00am, our Media Showcase will give you an exclusive new look at the next wave of huge PlayStation titles.

After the Showcase, stick around — we’ll dive deeper into the biggest announcements coming out of Paris Games Week.

It’s going to be a wild day. Hope you can join us! We’ll be streaming live on live.playstation.com, Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Great, odds are good I will like atleast one of them. Unless it is 7 VR games.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The XboneX launches in just over a week with zero games, meanwhile Sony is announcing 7 new games on top of the 4 or 5 exclusives they have in development that will come out next year.

Unless Microsoft starts to focus on games again they are never going to be able to move hardware no matter how powerful it is. What does MS have left? Crackdown 3? And given how bad the last Halo and Gears were, I don't expect much from Crackdown 3. It will probably be another Just Cause/Saint's Row clone and not much more.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Maybe if MS adds waggle they can start selling systems based on the hardware, Ala Nintendo!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Maybe if MS adds waggle they can start selling systems based on the hardware, Ala Nintendo!
They tried that with Kinect. Look how that turned out.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The XboneX launches in just over a week with zero games, meanwhile Sony is announcing 7 new games on top of the 4 or 5 exclusives they have in development that will come out next year.
While some of your critiques are valid, the one that you keep completely failing at is when you state that the XB1X is launching with no games. It is launching with the same amount of games as the PS4 Pro did.

It also has a lot more options than Sony, such as back compat and the fact that every multi plat will look and play best on the X.

Just criticize the exclusives, at least that is a valid critique. To criticize the lack of "launch games" when the almighty Sony did the exact same thing a year ago just looks bad.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
They tried that with Kinect. Look how that turned out.
I guess they better focus on games like Evil said, then.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
While some of your critiques are valid, the one that you keep completely failing at is when you state that the XB1X is launching with no games. It is launching with the same amount of games as the PS4 Pro did.

It also has a lot more options than Sony, such as back compat and the fact that every multi plat will look and play best on the X.

Just criticize the exclusives, at least that is a valid critique. To criticize the lack of "launch games" when the almighty Sony did the exact same thing a year ago just looks bad.
But aren't these the same games that have put Microsoft perpetually in second place? By most estimates Xbox One is wayyyy behind PS4 and really could've used a few AAA games to get people excited, and saying "Look you can play all your old shit!" is far from a winning strategy. As for all those proclaiming all the console pre-orders Xbox One X has, well they should remember software makes them money, hardware put them further in the hole.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
But aren't these the same games that have put Microsoft perpetually in second place? By most estimates Xbox One is wayyyy behind PS4 and really could've used a few AAA games to get people excited, and saying "Look you can play all your old shit!" is far from a winning strategy. As for all those proclaiming all the console pre-orders Xbox One X has, well they should remember software makes them money, hardware put them further in the hole.
Like I said, criticizing their exclusives is valid. Each person has their own likes and tastes, so if you don't like their exclusives or the way they're "play anywhere" that is an opinion based on personal feelings on the matter. But there are no Xbox One X launch games, just like there were no PS4 Pro launch games. To criticize one without having done so to the other looks like blind favoritism and bias.

Unlike most, I have no problem debating and discussing the potential negatives of a thing I like. I don't blindly worship at any alter.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
The XboneX launches in just over a week with zero games
SHOCKER: PS4 Pro also has ZERO games!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

And it X1X is actually launching with WAY MORE enhanced games than PS4 Pro did, including Dolby Atmos enabled games, a feature PS4 Pro games will never have.

I was all for my PS4 Pro, but seriously, just why the hell would I keep buying games for my Pro besides Sony exclusives when the Xbox 1 X is 40% more powerful, 4GB extra RAM, etc, which devs have already proven they are taking VISIBLE advantage of even on 1080p screens? Check Digital Foundry and don't be a silly fanboy.

Bottom line is I am very happy Sony is making exclusive games for my beloved PS4 Pro, but all multiplatform titles are going to be played on X1X from here on out. And I will admit that Xbox is lacking in the exclusive IP department next to Sony, but that is a piss poor reason to dump on the X1X when literally everything will look and play better on it....except the Sony exclusives.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:04 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
SHOCKER: PS4 Pro also has ZERO games!
Only true from a certain point of view, the purpose of the PS4 Pro was to offer a slightly faster system to support PSVR. From that point of view, the PS4 Pro launched with around a dozen games just like most consoles do at launch.

Is the XboneX supporting some new hardware? Is it supporting any new software? Does Microsoft even make games or is their whole selling point just that you can "play old games"???

I've got three PS3's and a 360 that are still hooked up, I can use those if I want to play old games.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #13
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I want to preempt this post with this message: I really love discussing this stuff. There is no one in my personal life that I can get this in depth with. Everyone has their biases and interests, which makes it hard to go in depth about any one topic. The same can be said here, but at least we get to write our full statement down before getting distracted or interrupted. That is a big reason why sites like this still exist, I think, and why I still like coming here, regardless of the characters involved.

As far as exclusives go, let me be honest. I have bought every single Uncharted game, and never could play through one. I have tried multiple times; my dad loves them, as have certain coworkers over time. Sony has got my money for each game, but again, I've never liked them enough to finish. Never liked Ratchet and Clank or Crash Bandicoot. I keep wanting to finish a Persona but never make it. That Vita and PS4 franchise Gravity Rush? Bought it for both, got bored on Vita, straight up disliked it on PS4.

Sony exclusives I have liked: The Last of Us, Yakuza, Until Dawn, Infamous. A couple of the Killzones were okay, but I only finished part 3. Resistance 3 was good.

Anyways, Sony first party games have been very hit or miss, and none of them have ever meant a lot to me. There are none that I would put in my top 5 games of all time. Sony first party games feel like a buck shot blast from a shotgun. Throw a bunch of stuff at the public and see what sticks. God of War was okay as well, but not that memorable or great. The new one looks good though.

Microsoft seems like it has always had less. But they killed everyone for awhile with Halo and then Gears. I was never that much of a Gears fan, but I liked them enough to have beat each game. Halo however is almost up there with Mario and Zelda for me. Not only looking at the stories, but the time spent in multiplayer, in really getting into a MP game, going back and beating each campaign in Legendary difficulty, and more. I agree Halo 5 wasn't as good as 1-4 and Reach, but it was still a good game that I go back to at times. When the new one is announced next year I'll be excited.

There have been other MS exclusives, like Lost Odyssey, Crimson Skies, Blue Dragon, MechAssault, Dead Rising, Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, Forza, Fable, and many more that are on par with Sony exclusives, but unlike many of the Sony games, for some reason I usually want to play through them.

Bottom line is, neither of these companies will make me go to only one console for exclusives. I view MS letting me play their exclusives also on PC as an added bonus, not a negative. If I could play Yakuza Kiwami on PC I'd be happy as hell. So that whole argument is meaningless to me. Giving me more options is not a negative, obviously. No, I will keep buying both consoles for the foreseeable future. It just so happens that right now, the MS console is clearly the best one available, and I am happy that I will get to experience it. For the last 4 years Sony had the best console, now it doesn't. I'm sure they will in another year or two, then MS will in a year or two after that.

One thing that will never happen, is me being blindly, aggressively, childishly loyal to any one company. If I can manage it, I want it all. And I will decide what I like better through actually using the systems, not based on hearsay and favoritism.

The point of all this is, multiplats are the main meat of any console. And for now, the X will be the best place to play them. A good PC let's you play most, if not all, of these, but some games still feel like console games for me, like COD, Battlefront 2, fighting games, and others that lose an online community quickly on PC.

Go Against the Flow.

Last edited by Wizzkidd; 10-29-2017 at 06:19 AM..
Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Only true from a certain point of view, the purpose of the PS4 Pro was to offer a slightly faster system to support PSVR. From that point of view, the PS4 Pro launched with around a dozen games just like most consoles do at launch.
If PSVR didn't work with the original PS4, you'd had a point. Since it did, it means that the Pro launched with precisely the same amount of "launch" games as the One X is.

These are iterative launches, not the beginnings of new generations.

Quote:
Is the XboneX supporting some new hardware? Is it supporting any new software? Does Microsoft even make games or is their whole selling point just that you can "play old games"???
If you're using PSVR to prop up this argument, you've pretty much already lost; it's was essentially a failure out of the gate.

The selling point is that you can play all old, current, new and future games on better hardware. Backwards compatibility is the name of Microsoft's game as they move away from generations to iterations.

The thought of being able to constantly carry my library over is much more appealing than what Sony is doing.

Quote:
I've got three PS3's and a 360 that are still hooked up, I can use those if I want to play old games.
And those that buy the One X can play current, new, old and future releases with one box. Your point?
Old 10-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #15
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

This is awesome, now only if they'd add backwards compatibility and get Nintendo to have their three exclusives that are worth anything playable on the PS4 (I know this will never happen, wishful thinking lol)
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Let’s talk facts. The Xbone sells 1/2 to 1/3 as many units as the PS4 does. They lost this generation. One of the key complaints people had was that games look better and run better on the PS4 vs the Xbone.

The reality is that there isn’t a ton of difference between the two systems and most 3rd party games run the same and look the same on both systems because they are developed for both systems at the same time. Only the first party games ever really shine and show off the hardware.

By puttin out the XboneX, Microsoft has eliminated the complaint that 3rd party games look better on the PS4. Now, the best version of every 3rd party game will always be the XboneX version.

The problem is that Microsoft still isn’t developing any exclusives worth playing. The last Halo was bland, the last Gears was terrible, Cuphead is a pretty game, but the gameplay is stale and difficult and Crackdown is a total unknown at this point. Given that the last Crackdown wasn’t very good, I’m not expecting much.

Meanwhile, Sony keep pushing PSVR, it’s silly but Sony seldom gives up on their little devices (like the Vita) right away. They usually hang around for a while. And they have a huge lineup of exclusives. They will have a ton to show off at E3.

Microsoft will go into this E3 bragging about how great Red Dead Redemption 2 looks on their system, but PS4 Pro owners will be getting pretty much the same game. And their whole show will be almost all 3rd party games and talking about how great some old games look in 4K. Oh... some old game I don’t care about any more and wouldn’t play anyway is now 4K. Neat?

Sony will have exclusives. Some of them we will be a little tired of hearing about. How many times can they show off Days Gone, God of War, Last of Us 2 and Spider-Man before you are just like “Geeze, put them out already.” But, despite a kind of a letdown E3 show, Sony will still have tons of great games on the shelf come Christmas and the XboneX will have nothing... a few 3rd party games that look about the same as their PS4 Pro counterparts.

All that for $500 a pop. Unless they get their act together and start putting money back into software like in the Xbox 1 era, they are eventually going to get sick of throwing good money after bad and give up.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Since neither the PS4 Pro or XB1X launch/launched with games exclusive from their previous hardware (PS4/XB1) - since that goes against Sony's and MS's desire not to alienate existing hardware owners, if you want to argue which has more exclusives you would need to go by existing exclusives.

In that case, the PS4 platform has 412 console exclusives and the XB1 platform has 157 console exclusives.

Now, not all of those PS4 Pro exclusives have direct Pro enhancements, but most can still benefit in some way (higher frame rates, or at least improved frame rates - making their target frame rate more consistently).

I think the big question here is whether people will want to pay 25% more for a console without as many overall exclusives (and seemingly fewer future exclusives), for a system that may not make noticeable visual improvements for the average consumer (I can tell the difference, btw).

Plus, so much of sales success is how well you sell your product (public perception), and not always about the product itself. So who knows how this will play out...

Hopefully the competition benefits us all.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #18
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Here's hoping for some new RDRII footage.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

You are correct Evil, on all counts, except for one thing: "a few 3rd party games that look about the same as their PS4 Pro counterparts."

Patently false. The differences are going to be staggering and noticeable. Not only because of GPU but the extra 4GB RAM. Even Shadow of War shows a huge improvement in ground texture clarity on X1X, making the Pro look like a muddy mess. And let's not forget X1X Dolby Atmos game support.

Eurogamer Digital Foundry will dish out all the differences with each title (such as the above) so you don't have to just trust me on this.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

The best point you are making is that Sony has many more and better exclusives. Fine. But saying the Xbox One X has no games is a horribly inaccurate way to make that point because neither does the Pro. Microsoft really needs to step up their exclusives, on that there is no doubt.

Tags
ps vr, ps4, sony