Today 12:47 PM
912 Replies, 152,110 Views

Old 11-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Microsoft Shifting Gears, Will Now Start Making Games Again

Via Bloomberg
Quote:
As Microsoft Corp. begins selling a new Xbox console, the focus of its video-game unit is shifting toward software and services.

The company plans to increase investment in developing in-house video games, including starting or acquiring studios to do so, Xbox chief Phil Spencer said in an interview last week. That’s an about-face from its approach the past several years, during which Microsoft has shuttered studios, cancelled games, and faced criticism at an industry conference from gamers for its lack of hot first-party titles.

“We need to grow, and I look forward to doing that,” Spencer said. “Our ability to go create content has to be one of our strengths. We haven’t always invested at the same level. We’ve gone through ups and downs in the investment.” Microsoft on Tuesday will start selling the Xbox One X, a high-end console targeted at hard-core gamers.
We seem to see this story every year. Put up or shut up!
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
ashikenshin
Subscriber

MS: "we really mean it this time, buy our console with no exclusives tho"
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Basically, just like the Surface line, if other companies are no longer producing what's required then MS has to do it themselves.

Just think of all the great games that have been destroyed by EA... (As well as MS). Come on MS at least buy the IP to (As an example) Command and Conquer and bring it back or, heck, make a new version.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
NightRain
Evil Dead

MS is going to buy Capcom, I've been saying it for a decade now, eventually it has got to happen

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Rommel
International Playboy

Microsoft enters markets with great ideas and the funds to buy their way into the game. And they seem to just kind of get high and wander off midway through, each and every endeavor.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

"Microsoft Shitting..."

At first glance, thought that was the sidebar thread title. Made sense, too.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

So this is a signal to AAA studios that MS has a bankroll for XBix exclusives. There is a budget runway associated with establishing the XBix console and studios are free to apply pitches against that runway. And when the runway is used up, then they are hoping that exclusive code / engine work that was written in service of it will get reused in sequels.

Studios should feel free to invest appropriately in that, but not to assume they will get carried by MS through the whole console lifecycle.

Fair deal. Just keep your eyes open.

Lawbreakers XBix here we come.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Microsoft has always been willing to dump huge amounts of money into products which push it's platform initiatives. Be they Games for Windows Live, Xbox OG, Xbox Live, 360, Kinect, and thats just games.

Windows Phone, Windows, Office and Back Office. When they want a market they usually don't stop if they can get a toe hold. They usually only stop once they've been beaten soundly (Windows Phone, Zune, Games for Windows, etc.).

Xbox One, even if lagging is still in the race. UWP and Windows/Xbox Cross platform is something that really is an advantage for them in a lot of customers eyes. I can totally imagine they are willing to invest but proof is in the pudding.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Isn't it a little late to start making games? Shouldn't this have been done a year or two ago, to be ready for the XBoX launch? By the time this round of games starts getting released, Sony is likely to have announced whatever hardware is coming from them next.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Spencer also stated that he is willing to bring Xbox games to other platforms. Which makes one wonder how much longer the Xbox console has left. That said, the Switch is ready for all those MS first party games like... there's... well... well there's something first party other than Halo and Gears?
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Switch is ready for all those MS first party games like... there's... well... well there's something first party other than Halo and Gears?
I would love to see Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead on the Switch. Can those count?
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Release Halo 6 with VR and release it on Playstation
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

I just hope to God that their idea of buying another developer or two does not result in someone like Platinum games being bought out by Microsoft.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
MS: "we really mean it this time, buy our console with no exclusives tho"
Translation: look forward to Microsoft shuttering a few more companies late 2018 early 2019.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:57 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Do they seriously think we believe this idea that you are going to suddenly start making games again when you just launch new hardware with ZERO games? They didn’t even have a single XboneX title on launch day.

Which is exactly why everything I saw on launch night was that there was no demand for the hardware. I saw a ton of people saying that the lines to buy the hardware were only 10 - 15 people long and my local GameStop didn’t even seem to be open on launch night.

I remember when the launch of a new Gears of War or or Halo title would have had a line with 200 - 300 people long, even at my little local GameStop. Now they won’t even open the store because so few people care? That’s just sad.

I suspect this will be the last generation for the Xbox brand. When the XboneX doesn’t see any better sales than the Xbone, MS will just give up.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Do they seriously think we believe this idea that you are going to suddenly start making games again when you just launch new hardware with ZERO games? They didn’t even have a single XboneX title on launch day.

Which is exactly why everything I saw on launch night was that there was no demand for the hardware. I saw a ton of people saying that the lines to buy the hardware were only 10 - 15 people long and my local GameStop didn’t even seem to be open on launch night.

I remember when the launch of a new Gears of War or or Halo title would have had a line with 200 - 300 people long, even at my little local GameStop. Now they won’t even open the store because so few people care? That’s just sad.

I suspect this will be the last generation for the Xbox brand. When the XboneX doesn’t see any better sales than the Xbone, MS will just give up.
Call it what you will, but I thin Sony is the company that pretty much ruined gaming with its focus on meaningless hardware upgrades instead of hardware innovation like Nintendo and Sega did. Sony basically made a suped up Super Nintendo and called it “PlayStation” then resold that same thing four times, each time making it more powerful. That basically taught/allowed developers to do the exact same thing to their franchises. Now we have a whole generation of kids who think that’s the way the industry works. ‘First I buy the PlayStation 4 and Assasins Creed 23. Then in six years I’ll buy the PlayStation 5 and assasins creed 29. Then in six years...”
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullshit, microsoft, microsoft studios