Yesterday 09:03 PM
4 Replies, 356 Views

Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Path of Exile Announced for PS4

Quote:
Grinding Gear Games Announces Path of Exile for PlayStation 4

Grinding Gear Games announced today that they will bring their award-winning RPG, Path of Exile, to the PlayStationģ4 system in December 2018.

Path of Exile will be completely free-to-play (and of course, never pay to win; your success in the game is dependent on the depth of your skill, not your wallet). The premiere of Path of Exile on the PlayStation 4 will also include Grinding Gear's largest expansion of 2018, also planned for release on other systems in December 2018.

Path of Exile continues to be one of the largest online Action RPGs with continual, massive audience growth. Successful launches on the Xbox One and in China have more than doubled the Path of Exile player community since August 2017, with over 3.5 million players having played the game's 2017 expansion, Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath. The Fall of Oriath was named one of the Top 50 Games of 2017 by Game Informer Magazine, as well as the top "Game as a Service" (an established title receiving outstanding updates and continued support).

Path of Exile Key Features Include:

• Download and play for free, but never pay-to-win

• A dark and deep action RPG

• Unlimited character combinations with the game's gigantic skill tree

• Combine skill gems to create unique combat strategies

• Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective

• Explore randomly generated levels for nearly infinite replayability

• Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful

• Cooperate or compete with thousands of other Exiles in a persistent online world

• Ascend online ladders in every game mode

Path of Exile was released in October 2013 to critical acclaim including winning GameSpot's PC Game of the Year award. Since its launch, Path of Exile has become a global community of over 20 million players including localized versions in English, German, French, Spanish, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Russian, Thai and Brazilian Portuguese.
But... you have a phone, right?
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

It's F2P done right, but the balance isn't right. The endgame is pretty shit (hard, unfairly so). I got a solid year of enjoyment out of it before recently burning out.

Give it a shot. Leveling up is a bore, but mapping (after finishing acts 1-10) is a lot of fun .

Oh, and it's owned by a Chinese company now. Don't be surprised if 'never pay-to-win' drops the adverb, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It's F2P done right, but the balance isn't right. The endgame is pretty shit (hard, unfairly so). I got a solid year of enjoyment out of it before recently burning out.

Give it a shot. Leveling up is a bore, but mapping (after finishing acts 1-10) is a lot of fun .

Oh, and it's owned by a Chinese company now. Don't be surprised if 'never pay-to-win' drops the adverb, lol.
Wait so leveling up is boring and the end game is shit? What's the mapping part you're talking about? I just downloaded the game yesterday but I haven't started it up yet with the exception of the 2 minutes that I played when the game first launched.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Wait so leveling up is boring and the end game is shit? What's the mapping part you're talking about? I just downloaded the game yesterday but I haven't started it up yet with the exception of the 2 minutes that I played when the game first launched.
Your first (maybe even second) time through, leveling will be fun as you experience the story (acts 1-10). The problem is that, unlike D3 and 'powerleveling,' every single character you want to level to endgame mapping will need to go through the damned acts. Sure, if you rush job it you won't spend a ton of time, but it's a drag after the first few times.

The true end game is uber shaper and uber elder. You'll need to follow a guide and have amazing gear to make that happen. I find it highly frustrating.

Mapping (and completing the atlas) leads to shaper/elder. You'll have single-use maps dropping. You run the maps, grab loot, and if you're completing the atlas (or pantheon) be sure to simply follow the directions to do so.

There's a lot to do. I just didn't like leveling to 70, and I didn't like failing hard to get to true endgame. Mapping was fun, and the acts were fun once or twice.

It's grindy. Such games usually are, honestly. It's a loot-centric action rpg. Grind for loot. It's fun! -- for a while.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Vulture
Evil Dead

Since you really do need more inventory space for almost all of the builds, you end up buying more inventory pages , thus not really F2W, but let's you play the basics.

/5 year player here and never killed Ubers.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Ive tried to get into this game about 3-4 times and end up being bored out of mind mind within the first couple of hours each time.

Nothing about it is very "unique" is all. Sure they have tones of inconsequential tiny incremental increases regarding skills and abilities that when ground out add up to something approximating a skill tree, but that does not make it content, it just makes it a theorycrafter's wet dream.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
Since you really do need more inventory space for almost all of the builds, you end up buying more inventory pages , thus not really F2W, but let's you play the basics.

/5 year player here and never killed Ubers.
The Inventory is more or less ok for 1-2 classes ... And almost always on sale ...

I only got all of them for better management and named tabs lol I like my stuff grouped ;D
Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Yawn. Have had it on Xbox One for ages and I don't actually play it even though I love the genre. Something about F2P just makes it feel cheap and lacking. Should just made it a single player pay RPG then I'd be all over it.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Ive tried to get into this game about 3-4 times and end up being bored out of mind mind within the first couple of hours each time.

Nothing about it is very "unique" is all. Sure they have tones of inconsequential tiny incremental increases regarding skills and abilities that when ground out add up to something approximating a skill tree, but that does not make it content, it just makes it a theorycrafter's wet dream.
It really boils down to the right build for you.

I've gone through at least half the builds at this point and finally found a build I really enjoy so I look forward to it in the next season.

There's a dozen optimal builds but it doesn't matter if you don't like playing it eg. juggernaut/molten strike build. It's supremely tanky and powerful as hell but god is it awful to level and not nearly enjoyable as something like arc witch that is like cb sorc + chain lightning + detonation per chain.

The beauty in the game is very much the 'materia' system combined with a massive passive tree that once you figure out and BALANCE out survival tree nodes vs dmg nodes.

It's just finding the build for you because there are dozens and choices between mobility skills that you like, defensive skills, pet skills, etc. etc.

The only thing holding this game back is it doesn't look good. If it was prettied up either the asian jaw dropping boob physics way or warhammered up it would have so much of a bigger market. Unfortunately the only thing that anyone can live with for now that looks cool is wings.

Also, as a person who held off of PoE for quite some time once you get into it you'll find you really don't care dropping 20$ into the game after it's given you over 200hrs + of fun and I'm at 600hrs at this point and looking to spend more on the next stash sale this week I think?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

If a game can't grab me in a couple hours (and multiple attempts at it), I'm sorry to say but it's not worth my time.

Too many other things that are fun all the way through, that's how a game should be designed.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Path's biggest failing is the new player experience, IMO. The first character you make will be absolute trash because most new players see the ridiculous skill tree and get very intimidated and confused, and their build is unfocused because of it. Making a proper build without meta guides requires doing a lot of research into skill tree paths, unique gear abilities, and how they all interact. Since the introduction of the 10 act arc, rather than 3 replays of the same 4, the story is more interesting, but the new player experience has gotten considerably better.

Endgame in Path is all about specialization. Pick one, maybe 2, ability(ies) and amplify its output to the utmost.

Outside that, PoE scratches both my Diablo loot grind and new content itch with surprising frequency. The special leagues they put out breathe fresh life into the game constantly, and the end game is challenging in a fair but punishing way (build correctly and pay attention, or just die constantly). Getting to level 90 is all you really need, but the grind from 90 to 100 is brutal.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

The new player experience sucks but the longtime crust of veterans in the game generally loves that. In other words, you'll get shit for being shit and you'll like it. Stick around and get better or just keep getting shit from folks who are just better than you. Because they got gear you can no longer get through drops. And because they're better. Than you. LOL.

The grind from 90 to 95 isn't that bad. 95+ is the real hell. The death penalty (10% xp loss with each death at higher levels) can wipe out many, many hours of leveling and many, many burned maps.

The seasons are hit or miss. Delve was shit and I quit it (and quit the game). Incursion was amazing and I played it a ton. Bestiary was a Pokemon pain in the ass and I quit it and played standard. Standard is always there, but most folks look on standard players the same way you guys would respond to Blizzard announcing a mobile Diablo game, lol...like it's shit, so you give it shit, because it's shit.

It's F2P and not P2W, but you really do need to buy several of the special stash tabs so you can stack shit higher than the normal base. Quality of life requires it. And since items are tradeable, you might find a kind soul willing to set up up if you're new with a little help here or there.

I've come to the conclusion that PoE has the same endgame problem that D3 has, which is that only a certain set of skills/gear will work and you have to copy as closely as possible to mimic that workable build or you'll just die and get shit for being shit because you're shit. PoE has a huge, huge tree, but making a mistake in there is going to shit up your build.

The endgame is not fair. It's too difficult. For example, until recently with an update, getting the proper shaper influence on the proper tier map, and getting the spawns in the proper area, was an exercise in RNG bitchery seemingly intentionally set up to piss off players. Gatekeeping bosses through RNG is dumbfuckery. They patched that out, but it's one of many examples.

The more I think about it, the less I think I'll ever go back, lol. Maybe, after I'm over my burnout, I'll give it a shot again. Maybe. Probably not.

lololololol. I'm better now.
Quote:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
If a game can't grab me in a couple hours (and multiple attempts at it), I'm sorry to say but it's not worth my time.

Too many other things that are fun all the way through, that's how a game should be designed.
I am the same way. I love a good action RPG and played Diablo games incessantly. I also loved their implementation of the materia system (Yes, itís a materia system, just like Final Fantasy, and thatís my final answer!).

But after several attempts to get into it just didnít stick. I think it may have something to do with how the classes work more than anything else. It also has a very large, and unforgiving learning curve. Or at least it did a few years ago when I last tried it.

Graphically it needed work even back then. These days it has a hard time competing but I can usually ingnore that if the gameplay works.

Progression was SLOW SLOW SLOW. That was another thing that killed the game for me. In the hours I played I expected to see some more substantial progress in loot, levels, and abilities but the game was very stingy on giving out points and abilities in the materia wheel, loot was abysmal and levels came with disappointing lack of frequency.

The UI was pretty standard fare but sometimes the graphics and systems got in the way, like trying to go into a house to talk to a NPC and the assets wouldnít z-order properly or the UI would end up appearing over the NPC or dialog. Just little fit & finish issues like that which make it seem like amateur hour.

Being on PS/4 doesnít make me interested to play it. Now if they bring it to my PHONE that is a different story. I will be way LESS interested in playing it on that platform.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

I had never made it to the end game content until this latest season of POE, the delve league.

The azurite mine added lots of new items/crafting/power leveleing options other than the 10 acts.

It was my third character ever, and i managed to kill everything except uber elder myself. Currently il just have to pay someone 30-40 chaos to kill that one boss for me. 156/159 end game maps completed.

if you use poetrade and other community features, progression and items for leveling is pretty quick, with items that will carry you to level 75 costing almost nothing (a few chaos or alchemy, very common currency) starting from scratch at the beginning of a new league is a little slower, but even then i found i was steadily trading/selling/upgrading gear.

I had fun going for the seasonal achievements to get the cool looking wings for the season, 25/40 achievements, which added a fair bit of content beyond to do that is not just trying to level up/grind gear.

Some builds do certain content better than others, i have problems with melee vs shaper, but its more of a timing thing to avoid his attacks, makes the fight easier as a ranged char, but other bosses are harder since i cant tank everything.

Im not sure if i will play the next season or not, since i have overplayed the delve season with two lvl 90+ chars.

I like the end game challenge, but im not sure either of my chars will be strong enough to beat uber elder solo, but maybe i will surprise myself.

There really are Soso many different builds in this game, i could make a totally new type of char every season.
they have not released information for next season, but apparrently it will be bigger than delve. I feel they keep improving the game and something new to each season, but i also have not been playing for a year - which is enough time to leave me burnt out of the game.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropist View Post
I like the end game challenge, but im not sure either of my chars will be strong enough to beat uber elder solo, but maybe i will surprise myself.

There really are Soso many different builds in this game, i could make a totally new type of char every season.
they have not released information for next season, but apparrently it will be bigger than delve. I feel they keep improving the game and something new to each season, but i also have not been playing for a year - which is enough time to leave me burnt out of the game.
Uber elder is a bitch. I burned a lot of sets learning that fight, but after you know it, it's challenging but doable. Phase 3 can screw you over if you get unlucky with certain elements, but if the clone doesn't stack on top of the original, you shouldn't have much trouble as long as your DPS is high enough.

I love that they basically do 2 or 3 new leagues per year. I play the shit out of one of them, and then I'm burned out for the next, so I basically get 4-6 months worth of entertainment every year.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #17
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

i understand the burnout, i dont really want to grind anymore until the new league starts , so a bit of a break is not a bad thing before dec 7.I did get in some uber elder practice, and understand how i can improve my build next season , but totally paid someone in chaos to clear uber elder for me this season.

next season with the new masters and immortal syndicate missions looks fun
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:05 AM   #18
GreenZA
Peon

Wow, always wanted this game on PS4
GreenZA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path of exile