Last post by Terran
02-16-2019 09:33 PM
60 Replies, 1,523 Views

Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

RIOT: Civil Unrest Gameplay Trailer

Quote:
Jan 21, 2019 - Manchester, UK. - Merge Games Ltd., is set to release RIOT: Civil Unrest, a real-time riot simulation experience. Launching Feb 5 - 7, 2019 across PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch, RIOT: Civil Unrest is a unique, thought-provoking experience that places you at the heart of some of the worlds most recent confrontations. Spread across four campaigns and over 30 individual scenarios, from Oakland in California to Tahrir Square in Egypt and Caracas in Venezuela, RIOT: Civil Unrest lets players control either the protestors or law enforcement in an effort to portray a balanced view of each event.

Featuring some of the best pixel art graphics ever seen, RIOT: Civil Unrest was born out of the real-life experiences of its artist and creator, Leonard Menchiari. During the summer of 2011 Leonard attended the NO-TAV protests in northern Italy. There he witnessed first-hand the actions of both the protestors and law enforcement officers which lead him to create RIOT: Civil Unrest. He created it to tell the stories and express the emotions felt during these clashes. What triggers the anger and aggression? Often outnumbered, what does a police officer endure during the conflict?

A complex strategy game, RIOT: Civil Unrest sets players objectives for each scenario. Its then up to the individual to choose how to tackle each situation, employing different strategies and tactics in order to achieve the perfect outcome. Discover if you can you dispel an angry crowd or overcome a well-equipped militia with RIOT: Civil Unrest. Player performance is rated, aggression can lead to a quick, successful outcome but a softer approach may have the same resolution without damaging public opinion.

RIOT: Civil Unrest boasts impressive crowd behaviour. Each individual character has its own artificial intelligence that gives the overall crowd mass very realistic and fluid movement. The PC version also boasts a powerful editor that allows users to create and share their own scenarios. The editor comes complete with additional scenarios made by the Bologna-based development team, including: G20 Hamburg, Gilets Jaunes Paris, Shohada Square Iran and Buenos Aires, Argentina.

RIOT: Civil Unrest will be available for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch in early February 2019.
Click on the Headline for the Trailer.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Hey look it's France! Interesting idea, kinda bad visuals tho.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Hey look it's France! Interesting idea, kinda bad visuals tho.
"Featuring some of the best pixel art graphics ever seen"

Yeaaaa
Old 01-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Wow, that looks....terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
"Featuring some of the best pixel art graphics ever seen"

Yeaaaa
Well no wonder it looks like ass.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Riot was released on PC well over a year ago and is still in Early Access. Reviews are mediocre at best.

Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I hate pixel art games. Hate em. They are the worst "art form" to have come about in gaming for the last decade.

People say "gameplay over graphics!" and put their nose up so they can pretend to be some gaming purist but they can eat a bag of dicks. It isn't that hard to find or contract half-way decent art and it isn't that much more expensive, if there is any expense at all to use nice sprites instead of pixel fucking graphics.

This game may get a boost thanks to the Yellow Vest protests and what-not but I won't even look at a jumbled mess like this until I can tell what the hell it is I'm looking at and Pixel graphics ain't gunna do that.

The ONLY exception I've seen to this The Last Night. Otherwise the rest of it is just a bunch of heavy masturbation with nerds shooting their loads over indie games in efforts to justify how they are REAL TRUE gamers who can see past graphics to the greatness within or some shit because without such excuses they don't have any other reason to explain why they have never seen a vagina in person.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
RAV
Dread Lord

Like any other genre of art, there is a wide range of styles and qualities produced.
You'll find plenty modern graphics that are looking bad because of bad art direction.

I could send you literally hundreds of impressive images, but these couple samples should be good enough to satisfy even the standards of modern tastes with the potential for beauty in this technically out-dated art form.

Last edited by RAV; 01-21-2019 at 01:41 PM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Like any other genre of art, there is a wide range of styles and qualities produced.
You'll find plenty modern graphics that are looking bad because of bad art direction.

I could send you literally hundreds of impressive images, but these couple samples should be good enough to satisfy even the standards of modern tastes with the potential for beauty in this technically out-dated art form.
I should have clarified. Yes, you can do a lot of great things with Pixel art and 8/16 bit sprites. The ones I particularly object to are the ones who can't seem to make it past the Atari "Combat" style.

Swords & Sworcery, Gods May Be Watching, this Riot game, and others of the ilk are particular offenders.

Games like Starbound, Shovel Knight, FTL, Into The Breach you can tell what the hell is going on and they have fairly clean experiences so the games work in spite of the "retro" graphics.

Most of the time pixel graphic games still feel lazy and cheap. Hire a fucking artist already.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
RAV
Dread Lord

Yes, a majority of popular indie titles are made on zero budget and by non artists, which gives pixel art a bad rep.
It doesn't help that people think like "well, I can't do art... but maybe I can do pixel art!".
If you can't do art, you can't do pixel art. Hire a fucking artist, indeed. I wish I could.

The situation is even worse for voxels. Even if I had the money, I currently don't know of any artists qualified enough to my expectations for my project.
I need someone very skilled in classic Fine Arts, who actually understand the art fundamentals, but good luck finding those in pixel art and even less in voxel art.
Another problem plaguing both arts is from a modern illness: people become too reliant on their tools and computers doing the work for them, like light and shadow,
and thus they don't have developed proper skills themselves, which just hurts their art, but they try to camouflage with an over-abundance of pointless effects thrown in.
Their lack of manual skills also doesn't allow them to make advanced use of perspectives, form, colour and light in ways no automated tool can, so it all just looks rather bland.
But most of the audience doesn't actually understand that either... just how bland modern graphics actually look... because they have never been exposed to the greats of classic painting.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Yes, a majority of popular indie titles are made on zero budget and by non artists, which gives pixel art a bad rep.
It doesn't help that people think like "well, I can't do art... but maybe I can do pixel art!".
If you can't do art, you can't do pixel art. Hire a fucking artist, indeed. I wish I could.

The situation is even worse for voxels. Even if I had the money, I currently don't know of any artists qualified enough to my expectations for my project.
I need someone very skilled in classic Fine Arts, who actually understand the art fundamentals, but good luck finding those in pixel art and even less in voxel art.
Another problem plaguing both arts is from a modern illness: people become too reliant on their tools and computers doing the work for them, like light and shadow,
and thus they don't have developed proper skills themselves, which just hurts their art, but they try to camouflage with an over-abundance of pointless effects thrown in.
Their lack of manual skills also doesn't allow them to make advanced use of perspectives, form, colour and light in ways no automated tool can, so it all just looks rather bland.
But most of the audience doesn't actually understand that either... just how bland modern graphics actually look... because they have never been exposed to the greats of classic painting.
The problem can be summed up in two words, Indie titles. Hell they've made browsing steam for new games such a miserable experience with how flooded steam is now with garbage "indie" games it's not even funny.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 AM   #13
RAV
Dread Lord

What about all those mega corps monetizing the hell out of their "AAA" games, designed to abuse you.
There sure are things to rightfully criticize about the indie scene, but I can't really bring myself hating it.
This is the price of a free market where regular people can publish their own creativity.
In the past there were strict gate keepers controlling the market, and that had problems of its own.
I guess there are pros and cons to everything, but I prefer the current developments.
I accept the flood as price to pay for the creative freedom of the people.
And I think, as usual in such scenario, there have been titles that made it worth.
Maybe there will be more personal filter options or such to solve your problem.
So the consumers can decide for themselves what they want to be exposed to.
Though maybe the bubble effect that would cause is also unfortunate.

I am a hobby dev myself. I haven't tried to publish my things yet.
I make things just as you would play things. Making things is the game I play.

One reason for it is that I just enjoy my naive creativity,
for me my things are the coolest in the world, even if they aren't for anyone else,
simply because I made it -- and it's so exciting to see things come together.
The other reason is that being creative costs less than consuming things.

I come from the era when mods were the biggest thing. I so much enjoy creative communities where people make things happen.
When I look at what people are making, I see less the flaws in it and more what aspect of it is cool.
I know how hard it is to make things, and there is always something cool to discover.
A lot of "trash" too of course, but it just doesn't really bother me,
and strangely enough, I had more fun with trashy mods by some idiot kids, than most proper games. weird...
maybe it was just the online component, playing with friends, all drunk and laughing at all the crap.

Often a hobby dev is on his own. It's not easy finding other people. Often you just don't have any money either.
I live on below minimum. I work simple manual labour jobs that don't pay so well,
I have hardly any money left at the end of the month just paying for basic living expenses.
To afford really great artists I would have to work between 4 - 8 hours, to pay just for 1 hour of their work.
Last year I tried to save up some money. It was very hard, I actually starved for that.
When I tried to hire some artist, he cheated on me and ran away with my money...
I wish I had spent that money on upgrading my computer instead, which is a piece of junk.
I have no formal education, dropped out of school. I had to teach myself some dev skills.
Didn't have any support and encouragement. When I come back from work I am tired as shit.
My body would rather sleep, but then I try to stay awake and do some dev, for which I will never get paid.
and then get yelled at by other people how useless and shit my stuff is, lol. But it's okay, they are kinda right.
But I just like what I do. And I like at least the possibility of publishing my stuff if I ever choose to.

Tags
riot: civil unrest