World War Z Launches in...
Last post by Robberbaron
Today 01:27 PM
3 Replies, 494 Views

Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Driveclub Goes 'Back to the Drawing Board'

Scott Rohde from Sony told IGN that they have gone back to the drawing board to make sure Evolution Studios' PS4 racing game Driveclub is great.

Quote:
“What I will say is that it all comes back to that fundamental principle, and that’s that we want to build great games,” Rohde said. “And we really don’t want to release a game before it’s ready. And sometimes, this happens in the normal course of business, where we think we’re on track to deliver what we think is going to be a great game, and when we get closer, we realize that we’d be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready.”

“So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost],” Rohde continued, “and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game.”

When asked about when it’ll launch, Rohde said, “We’re not announcing any specifics on that yet.” When pressed on if it would still come out sometime in 2014, Rohde refused to say, though Sony PR stepped in to say that we’d get more details soon.
Sony needs to find a racing game developer that knows how to ship a damn game.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

From a consumer point of view, take as much time as you need to get it right. This is a genre that is not going away anytime soon and there are already tons of great driving games to play...
Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
bub64882
Evil Dead

I agree with MJ. But if they are in the market for awesome racing developers...Go snatch up waht's left of the Criterion guys...Not the ones stuck on Need for Speed, but that ones who made Burnout Paradise, IMO the best car game of last gen. I think Microsoft splintered the studio for some reason.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
cjrizzo
Reaper

I was looking really forward to this game. Historically, any time a company goes back to the drawing board a) it's not a good sign that what they had was not viable (even after delays) and b) the likelihood of a successful end product is, historically, not going to happen.

It's a shame - this had some unique promise and nothing else on the market was in the same type of space as this game. I would imagine that this is at least a year out now.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

This is fucking sad... At least my new $400 paperweight is nice to look at in standby mode. The game better turn out great or were in for some trouble.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Schling Fo
Soul Reaper

I'm almost ready to give the PS4 shelf back to the N64 or SNES.
Schling Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schling Fo View Post
I'm almost ready to give the PS4 shelf back to the N64 or SNES.
For real, right?

Buyer beware and all that, but this is really affecting my consumer-relationship with these dumb companies. I mean, seriously, how many games were we shown before the consoles came out are going to go back on what they showed? At what point in time does it just become false advertising?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
Mr. Lake
Developer

That is a shame. I was really waiting on both this and ISS to buy a PS4, but now with only one game of interest left I might as well wait until a few more hit the market.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
DSSJ
Evil Dead

I'm so glad now that I choose Forza when they both were announced.

This was the only game that interested me on the PS4.
DSSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

I knew there was trouble when the director of the game sat on stage and wanked off to how they got the gloss of clear-coat on cars right and then proceeded to apply his own clear coat to the screen, than talk about how the game was going to be in any way.

Sony pretty much handed MS the keys to the sim-racer kingdom, till Turn 10 fucked up the new Forza.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
I knew there was trouble when the director of the game sat on stage and wanked off to how they got the gloss of clear-coat on cars right and then proceeded to apply his own clear coat to the screen, than talk about how the game was going to be in any way.
Well, if you had been forced to develop racing games with mostly unlicensed ("MotorStorm") and more importantly, ALWAYS DIRTY vehicles (MotorStorm, "WRC") for the last decade, wouldn't you feel excited about finally working on realistic cars and their showroom shine?

"DriveClub" is a fascinating project, and I'm sure it'll be the source of many interesting postmortems, when/if people at Sony and Evolution are allowed to talk about it.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #14
Doctorossi
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
From a consumer point of view, take as much time as you need to get it right. This is a genre that is not going away anytime soon and there are already tons of great driving games to play...
This.

I can't believe how impatient some people are. Yes, the delay sucks, but I'd rather have the better game on release.
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
This.

I can't believe how impatient some people are. Yes, the delay sucks, but I'd rather have the better game on release.
Seconded. I have so many other games to enjoy. Take as much time as possible to make this game great.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #16
shadow763
Lord of Woe

There have still been games releasing almost weekly on the PS4. It is not a complete glut of games. Besides, if you bought a next gen console right away, you should have known that the first year game releases are sparse. This shouldn't be surprising.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #17
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Embarrassing. Some major screwup in the management dept. Heads will roll. Maybe not the right ones.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Doctorossi
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
Embarrassing. Some major screwup in the management dept. Heads will roll. Maybe not the right ones.
Is it? It's a release-date delay; they happen all the time.
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Sony pretty much handed MS the keys to the sim-racer kingdom, till Turn 10 fucked up the new Forza.
Why would Turn10 fucking up Forza impact the sim market? Has someone at Turn10 actually driven a car? Never got that impression playing their game. Dump throttle high g turn in a MR and I get...... push understeer? It isn't that Forza isn't a good sim, it isn't remotely in the league of pretending to be a sim. Forza has moved into the "Need For Speed" racing genre unfortunately(along with GRiD)- clearly doesn't want to be a sim, but not ready to go all out arcade like Burnout.

I spent $600 for my launch 360 and I bought the system solely for the Forza franchise. Thought it showed a ton of potential early, and then they went in a wildly different direction then I was hoping they would. Some people really seem to enjoy this type of game, and the impression I got was DriveClub was heading in that direction. To be quite honest, as a *HUGE* racing fan- I had zero interest in this title and I *already* have a PS4. Looks like another Forza/NFS/GRiD style game that always leaves me meh.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
Why would Turn10 fucking up Forza impact the sim market? Has someone at Turn10 actually driven a car? Never got that impression playing their game. Dump throttle high g turn in a MR and I get...... push understeer? It isn't that Forza isn't a good sim, it isn't remotely in the league of pretending to be a sim. Forza has moved into the "Need For Speed" racing genre unfortunately(along with GRiD)- clearly doesn't want to be a sim, but not ready to go all out arcade like Burnout.

I spent $600 for my launch 360 and I bought the system solely for the Forza franchise. Thought it showed a ton of potential early, and then they went in a wildly different direction then I was hoping they would. Some people really seem to enjoy this type of game, and the impression I got was DriveClub was heading in that direction. To be quite honest, as a *HUGE* racing fan- I had zero interest in this title and I *already* have a PS4. Looks like another Forza/NFS/GRiD style game that always leaves me meh.
You should have put that $600 towards a sweet PC racing sim setup.

Tags
driveclub, sony, worldwide studios