Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
AGE OF EMPIRES Developer...
Last post by Nighthawk
Today 06:58 PM
5 Replies, 127 Views
Gamescon 2018: The Grand...
Last post by hurstshifter
Today 06:24 PM
1 Replies, 110 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by blackzc
Today 05:35 PM
2,286 Replies, 264,936 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by LostToys
Today 04:40 PM
1 Replies, 413 Views
Boss Key Productions...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:17 PM
57 Replies, 6,215 Views
Gamescon 2018: Fallout...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:14 PM
1 Replies, 118 Views
Diablo III Eternal...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:06 PM
13 Replies, 1,109 Views
World War Z Launches in...
Last post by Robberbaron
Today 01:27 PM
3 Replies, 494 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,052
Blog Entries: 58
Driveclub Goes 'Back to the Drawing Board'


Scott Rohde from Sony told IGN that they have gone back to the drawing board to make sure Evolution Studios' PS4 racing game Driveclub is great.

Quote:
“What I will say is that it all comes back to that fundamental principle, and that’s that we want to build great games,” Rohde said. “And we really don’t want to release a game before it’s ready. And sometimes, this happens in the normal course of business, where we think we’re on track to deliver what we think is going to be a great game, and when we get closer, we realize that we’d be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready.”

“So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost],” Rohde continued, “and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game.”

When asked about when it’ll launch, Rohde said, “We’re not announcing any specifics on that yet.” When pressed on if it would still come out sometime in 2014, Rohde refused to say, though Sony PR stepped in to say that we’d get more details soon.
Sony needs to find a racing game developer that knows how to ship a damn game.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Ravijn
Evil Dead
 
Ravijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,239
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,334
From a consumer point of view, take as much time as you need to get it right. This is a genre that is not going away anytime soon and there are already tons of great driving games to play...
__________________
A Long Haired Metal Dude with an Unhealthy Passion for Video Games
www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
bub64882
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,354
I agree with MJ. But if they are in the market for awesome racing developers...Go snatch up waht's left of the Criterion guys...Not the ones stuck on Need for Speed, but that ones who made Burnout Paradise, IMO the best car game of last gen. I think Microsoft splintered the studio for some reason.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
cjrizzo
Reaper
 
cjrizzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 160
Blog Entries: 1
I was looking really forward to this game. Historically, any time a company goes back to the drawing board a) it's not a good sign that what they had was not viable (even after delays) and b) the likelihood of a successful end product is, historically, not going to happen.

It's a shame - this had some unique promise and nothing else on the market was in the same type of space as this game. I would imagine that this is at least a year out now.
__________________
CJ Rizzo
GamerTag: RizzMan
cjrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred
 
Suicidal ShiZuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Right on the Beach
Posts: 10,155
Blog Entries: 1
This is fucking sad... At least my new $400 paperweight is nice to look at in standby mode. The game better turn out great or were in for some trouble.
__________________
"This game raped my wife, slaughtered my son and left me for dead."
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Schling Fo
Soul Reaper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 220
I'm almost ready to give the PS4 shelf back to the N64 or SNES.
Schling Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schling Fo View Post
I'm almost ready to give the PS4 shelf back to the N64 or SNES.
For real, right?

Buyer beware and all that, but this is really affecting my consumer-relationship with these dumb companies. I mean, seriously, how many games were we shown before the consoles came out are going to go back on what they showed? At what point in time does it just become false advertising?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
lockwoodx
Photobomber
 
lockwoodx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on tap
Posts: 23,709
Blog Entries: 2
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
Mr. Lake
Developer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,946
That is a shame. I was really waiting on both this and ISS to buy a PS4, but now with only one game of interest left I might as well wait until a few more hit the market.
__________________
I am now a ghost. "Boo".
Mr. Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
DSSJ
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 327
I'm so glad now that I choose Forza when they both were announced.

This was the only game that interested me on the PS4.
DSSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
Hellstorm
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,011
I knew there was trouble when the director of the game sat on stage and wanked off to how they got the gloss of clear-coat on cars right and then proceeded to apply his own clear coat to the screen, than talk about how the game was going to be in any way.

Sony pretty much handed MS the keys to the sim-racer kingdom, till Turn 10 fucked up the new Forza.
__________________
"Downward F#%king Dog!!!"
"Some people F%#k at funerals. I cut off heads."
--The Wisdom of Travis Touchdown
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
Scherge
Subscriber
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
I knew there was trouble when the director of the game sat on stage and wanked off to how they got the gloss of clear-coat on cars right and then proceeded to apply his own clear coat to the screen, than talk about how the game was going to be in any way.
Well, if you had been forced to develop racing games with mostly unlicensed ("MotorStorm") and more importantly, ALWAYS DIRTY vehicles (MotorStorm, "WRC") for the last decade, wouldn't you feel excited about finally working on realistic cars and their showroom shine?

"DriveClub" is a fascinating project, and I'm sure it'll be the source of many interesting postmortems, when/if people at Sony and Evolution are allowed to talk about it.
__________________
“Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint!” - Me(phistopheles)
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #14
Doctorossi
Evil Dead
 
Doctorossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
From a consumer point of view, take as much time as you need to get it right. This is a genre that is not going away anytime soon and there are already tons of great driving games to play...
This.

I can't believe how impatient some people are. Yes, the delay sucks, but I'd rather have the better game on release.
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
hurstshifter
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
This.

I can't believe how impatient some people are. Yes, the delay sucks, but I'd rather have the better game on release.
Seconded. I have so many other games to enjoy. Take as much time as possible to make this game great.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #16
shadow763
Lord of Woe
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,323
There have still been games releasing almost weekly on the PS4. It is not a complete glut of games. Besides, if you bought a next gen console right away, you should have known that the first year game releases are sparse. This shouldn't be surprising.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #17
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter
 
Demo_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,767
Blog Entries: 7
Embarrassing. Some major screwup in the management dept. Heads will roll. Maybe not the right ones.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Doctorossi
Evil Dead
 
Doctorossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
Embarrassing. Some major screwup in the management dept. Heads will roll. Maybe not the right ones.
Is it? It's a release-date delay; they happen all the time.
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 369
Quote:
Sony pretty much handed MS the keys to the sim-racer kingdom, till Turn 10 fucked up the new Forza.
Why would Turn10 fucking up Forza impact the sim market? Has someone at Turn10 actually driven a car? Never got that impression playing their game. Dump throttle high g turn in a MR and I get...... push understeer? It isn't that Forza isn't a good sim, it isn't remotely in the league of pretending to be a sim. Forza has moved into the "Need For Speed" racing genre unfortunately(along with GRiD)- clearly doesn't want to be a sim, but not ready to go all out arcade like Burnout.

I spent $600 for my launch 360 and I bought the system solely for the Forza franchise. Thought it showed a ton of potential early, and then they went in a wildly different direction then I was hoping they would. Some people really seem to enjoy this type of game, and the impression I got was DriveClub was heading in that direction. To be quite honest, as a *HUGE* racing fan- I had zero interest in this title and I *already* have a PS4. Looks like another Forza/NFS/GRiD style game that always leaves me meh.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred
 
Suicidal ShiZuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Right on the Beach
Posts: 10,155
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
Why would Turn10 fucking up Forza impact the sim market? Has someone at Turn10 actually driven a car? Never got that impression playing their game. Dump throttle high g turn in a MR and I get...... push understeer? It isn't that Forza isn't a good sim, it isn't remotely in the league of pretending to be a sim. Forza has moved into the "Need For Speed" racing genre unfortunately(along with GRiD)- clearly doesn't want to be a sim, but not ready to go all out arcade like Burnout.

I spent $600 for my launch 360 and I bought the system solely for the Forza franchise. Thought it showed a ton of potential early, and then they went in a wildly different direction then I was hoping they would. Some people really seem to enjoy this type of game, and the impression I got was DriveClub was heading in that direction. To be quite honest, as a *HUGE* racing fan- I had zero interest in this title and I *already* have a PS4. Looks like another Forza/NFS/GRiD style game that always leaves me meh.
You should have put that $600 towards a sweet PC racing sim setup.
__________________
"This game raped my wife, slaughtered my son and left me for dead."
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
driveclub, sony, worldwide studios

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.