Last post by LostToys
07-15-2019 07:15 PM
45 Replies, 1,996 Views

Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Teaser Trailer for Disney's Live-Action Mulan

Quote:
When the Emperor of China issues a decree that one man per family must serve in the Imperial Army to defend the country from Northern invaders, Hua Mulan, the eldest daughter of an honored warrior, steps in to take the place of her ailing father. Masquerading as a man, Hua Jun, she is tested every step of the way and must harness her inner-strength and embrace her true potential. It is an epic journey that will transform her into an honored warrior and earn her the respect of a grateful nation…and a proud father. “Mulan” features a celebrated international cast that includes: Yifei Liu as Mulan; Donnie Yen as Commander Tung; Jason Scott Lee as Böri Khan; Yoson An as Cheng Honghui; with Gong Li as Xianniang and Jet Li as the Emperor. The film is directed by Niki Caro from a screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver and Elizabeth Martin & Lauren Hynek based on the narrative poem “The Ballad of Mulan.”
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
AlfredT
Evil Dead

They should get M Night to direct avatar: last airbender style.. would trigger a lot of people when he casts Caucasians for everyone
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

never saw the original Mulan ... without context, it doesn't look too bad
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
never saw the original Mulan ... without context, it doesn't look too bad
It’s not bad. Probably a little easier to watch as an adult than a lot of Disney’s other animated features.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
They should get M Night to direct avatar: last airbender style.. would trigger a lot of people when he casts Caucasians for everyone
We all look the same to him.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Subscriber

To each his own. I thought Mulan's lows were lower than the highs were high. It felt preachy and just not fun. "Men bad! Women good!"
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
To each his own. I thought Mulan's lows were lower than the highs were high. It felt preachy and just not fun. "Men bad! Women good!"
What? That's not at all what I got out of the story! We're talking about the animated Disney movie, right? Where all the boys are cool, and even the ones that look like assholes in the beginning come through for her at the end, so they can save China (and the emperor) together? The film even had tolerable songs - and of course, one of the greatest German voice casts...
Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
What? That's not at all what I got out of the story! We're talking about the animated Disney movie, right?
Y'know man, some people just see what they want to see in things.

The original came out in 1998, well before Trigger culture and an internet full of REEEEEE. For me as well, it doesn't speak to any of the man-hating you see elsewhere in contemporary media.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
RAV
Soul Reaper

The original story of Mulan is based on ancient chinese folklore. In that, the core values it communicates are traditional.
It is the story of a person that has to earn respect through hardship, who has to live up to expectations and challenges.
Life doesn't become easier just because you are weak. You have to toughen up, get the skills and rise to the challenge.
People don't owe you anything. They naturally have their own concerns, worries and expectations. Your job is to deal with that.
Eventually through perserverence, the protagonist would overcome the difficulties and earn proper status.
If you work hard enough and want it enough, there is little you can't do, regardless circumstances.
You are not just a little victim of circumstance. You can forge your destiny.

A secondary motive may also be to recognize that unlikely people can surprise your expectations.
There are various examples of exceptional heroine figures in history, inspiring men to victory.

The earlier Mulan from Disney still had traces of these universal core values.
The main guy was a tough drill seargent, with the responsibility to prepare his soldiers for the hardships of war.
He wasn't a "nice guy", he was as tough as life itself is. If you can't even handle him, what business do you have trying to defend your people against the enemy?
Go home, if you can't manage yourself properly, you just put your fellow teammates in further danger, and are an unnessary risk and burdern to everyone around.
Otherwise buckle up, shut up, and do what is required, like everyone else. And if there is especially little reason to have faith in your ability, then you'll have to work even harder to earn trust. Such is life.

Having said all that. I have no faith in Disney as of today. I wouldn't be surprised if they choose this story only to concerntrate on the percieved "injustice" of it
Maybe sort of revolving mainly around a passive aggressive revenge story, of proving why all the guys were idiot biggots for not believing in you, and now you showed them.
As was mentioned here, some people just see in things what they want to see, and people like at Disney today have a track record of taking established franchises and interpreting them in shabby ways.
But we'll have to see. I just don't have reason for high expectations beforehand though. If Disney wanted to change that, they'd have to work hard. I have reasonable doubts about that.

Besides of all that, there is good reason why throughout all history, all across the world in all cultures, 99.99% of people decided to do their best to keep their women out of harms way.
Sending the people with reproductive capabilities into the front lines of war is the dumbest possible thing a tribe could do. It meant the sure extinction of the tribe. Which is why the only surviving cultures were those who didn't.
You can crunch the numbers on that through various scenarios, the logic of life with our species in particular is brutal, in what happens with different configurations. The effects over time are staggering, across various skirmishes.
Losing reproductive capability is the most threatening setback a tribe can have. Every single woman is the greatest treasure, not to be wasted as cannon fodder, but to be kept away from danger as best as possible.
The way numbers work out, you can lose a 100 men, and it will set you back less than losing a single woman. That's why our societies have been setup like they were for all these millennia.

But well, let's just say that the hard requirements of survival of a biological species are not really of any concern to people today. So might as well send women to their death. To be fair and out of love, of course.
just like killing unborn babies. Who cares about that bio trash. It's so inconvenient. it ain't even really human! Ain't that some progress. sure is. revolutionary. Just like the Gulag death camps in the Soviet Union were.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
The original story of Mulan is based on ancient chinese folklore. In that, the core values it communicates are traditional.
It is the story of a person that has to earn respect through hardship, who has to live up to expectations and challenges.
Life doesn't become easier just because you are weak. You have to toughen up, get the skills and rise to the challenge.
People don't owe you anything. They naturally have their own concerns, worries and expectations. Your job is to deal with that.
Eventually through perserverence, the protagonist would overcome the difficulties and earn proper status.
If you work hard enough and want it enough, there is little you can't do, regardless circumstances.

A secondary motive may also be to recognize that unlikely people can surprise your expectations.
There are various examples of exceptional heroine figures in history, inspiring men to victory.

The main guy was a tough drill seargent, with the responsibility to prepare his soldiers for the hardships of war.
He wasn't a "nice guy", he was as tough as life itself is. If you can't even handle him, what business do you have trying to defend your people against the enemy?
Go home, if you can't manage yourself properly, you just put your fellow teammates in further danger, and are an unnessary risk and burdern to everyone around.
Otherwise buckle up, shut up, and do what is required, like everyone else. And if there is especially little reason to have faith in your ability, then you'll have to work even harder to earn trust. Such is life.

Having said all that. I have no faith in Disney as of today. I wouldn't be surprised if they choose this story only to concerntrate on the percieved "injustice" of it
Maybe sort of revolving mainly around a passive aggressive revenge story, of proving why all the guys were idiot biggots for not believing in you, and now you showed them.
As was mentioned here, some people just see in things what they want to see, and people like at Disney today have a track record of taking established franchises and interpreting them in shabby ways.
But we'll have to see. I just don't have reason for high expectations beforehand though. If Disney wanted to change that, they'd have to work hard. I have reasonable doubts about that.

Besides of all that, there is good reason why throughout all history, all across the world in all cultures, 99.99% of people decided to do their best to keep their women out of harms way.
Sending the people with reproductive capabilities into the front lines of war is the dumbest possible thing a tribe could do. It meant the sure extinction of the tribe. Which is why the only surviving cultures were those who didn't.
You can crunch the numbers on that through various scenarios, the logic of life with our species in particular is brutal, in what happens with different configurations. The effects over time are staggering, across various skirmishes.
Losing reproductive capability is the most threatening setback a tribe can have. Every single woman is the greatest treasure, not to be wasted as cannon fodder, but to be kept away from danger as best as possible.
The way numbers work out, you can lose a 100 men, and it will set you back less than losing a single woman. That's why our societies have been setup like they were for all these millennia.

But well, let's just say that the hard requirements of survival of a biological species are not really of any concern to people today. So might as well send women to their death. To be fair and out of love, of course.
just like killing unborn babies. Who cares about that bio trash. It's so inconvenient. it ain't even really human! Ain't that some progress. sure is. revolutionary. Just like the Gulag death camps in the Soviet Union were.

Um... yeah, what RAV said. All of it. The parts about Disney and how disposable life is today. The luxury we have of treating life as such a worthless commodity. Or the blindness of our treating it as such...
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:43 AM   #11
BorisCal
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post

I was nodding in full approval up until that point. Yeah... You just don't get it.

Let me put some scenarios on the table:
1) You're brutally raped, and are now pregnant of your aggresor.
2) A minor has been sexually abused, is currently pregnant and it's a life-threatning pregnancy. Meaning that if carried until full-term, both lives are at risk of being lost.
3) A deficiency has been found on the fetus. If carried until full-term it's going to be a child that will require constant care by the parents, and will never be a fully independent adult.
4) After scenario 1) occured, scenario 3) happens.

In all those scenarios, do you consider that pregnancy termination is a possibility to be or not be presented? And before answering, bear in mind that the procedure is not like going to a dentist to remove a tooth. It's not done in a single day. The are multiple appointments, to evaluate the true necessity of the termination. There is psychological accompanying, to make sure if the person is absolutely sure if they want to go through with the procedure. There's advice about other avenues, like foster care, should the person be inclined. Termination is a last-case possibility and is treated as such.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #12
RAV
Soul Reaper

Or you could consider that another person has information that you don't get.

What you are pointing to is the worst case scenario and the ideal text book procedure.
But this is not the reality of what is being increasingly done in practice.

What you can currently observe around the world is precisely that the standards and procedures are getting more and more lax.
Abortion is increasingly becoming just another form of birth control -- a matter of convenience.
Year by year, you see laws passed in an increasing number of countries, that ease the conditions for it, far beyond the scope of what you described.
And most of the activism I see on the media discusses the problem as merely a lifestyle decision than medical necessity.

Depending on the state, we already have the situation that you can abort without good reason up until the last day the baby is due.

Because the entire problem -- and pretty much every problem nowadays -- is boiled down merely to the dimension of Women Rights.
You see the problem discussed almost in no other light in the media. As if this were fuck all to consider about it or anything.

A large part of the liberal argumentation I am often confronted with is occupying itself in length with how it's not really human anyway -- so whatever, apparently.
And this mindset just spills over to all its other arguments. What I witness across the board is an increasing trivialization and relativation of a growing human life.

And you seriously think the most pressing matter about the situation is that in some last parts of the world it is too strict?
I see activists fielding huge campaigns against locals that allow for the standards you described -- and they are painted as tyranny against women.
So yes, if I have the hard choice of too strict or too lax, I rather go with too strict. But this is not the developments we are having right now.

I once had a friend who was a talented artist. He was a decent person with moral standards. Unfortunately, he was also a bit of a lonely nerd. One day an activist type girl came along and bewitched the guy. I've seen this often, liberal activist whores, sexualizing and objectifying themselves, in an effort to recruit useful tools for their campaigns. it's a variation of the Gold Digger thing. We are not really friends anymore, haven't heard of him in a while, since one of the things these succubi like to do is isolating their prey from other influence for better control. What argument could I make that's better than a blowjob anyway?

She made him develop entertainment material which pushed for eased abortion laws.
It was pure propaganda material, a completely one-dimensional look on the situation.
And you wanna know what the major theme of it was? The inconvenience for women to care for babies.
Of course, it was picked up and promoted in the larger media, as a valiant premier effort to fight for women rights.

So sit back and think again, whether the biggest issue about abortion today worth criticizing is about the most extreme of medical conditions that are already accounted for in most parts of the world, or the creep of lowered standards and one-dimensional considerations that trivialize the decision for a child as just buying a new smartphone or throwing away another whenever it doesn't suit you. Couple that with many dangerous developments in genetics for the future, ripe for abuse and further degeneration of morality, and maybe you see how dangerous it is to look at the issue only from a so called "Women Right's" perspective, and pretending that the reality of it is the text book definition of the worst case scenario, as if this were truly the reality of developments today. I can't remember the last time I opened a big magazine/newspaper/outlet and read a differentiated analysis in the full range of the problem. And you are seriously suggesting that it is I who doesn't consider the problem thoroughly, while pointing to the most elementary of arguments for it?

Last edited by RAV; 07-12-2019 at 08:38 AM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
And before answering, bear in mind that the procedure is not like going to a dentist to remove a tooth. It's not done in a single day.
Do you honestly believe what you just typed? Try googling same day abortions near me, unless you live somewhere very different than I do, you should see a lot of hits. Also, it's less involved then a pulled tooth up until 24 weeks in many instances(chemical).

Follow up question, once synthetic uterus are at a state where they can be safely used on a mass market scale would you support a hard line abortion ban in any instance where the fetus can be transferred?

The follow up question normally separates the people who want women to have agency over their bodies from the people that just want to kill.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
Do you honestly believe what you just typed? Try googling same day abortions near me, unless you live somewhere very different than I do, you should see a lot of hits. Also, it's less involved then a pulled tooth up until 24 weeks in many instances(chemical).

Follow up question, once synthetic uterus are at a state where they can be safely used on a mass market scale would you support a hard line abortion ban in any instance where the fetus can be transferred?

The follow up question normally separates the people who want women to have agency over their bodies from the people that just want to kill.
Regardless the rest of his post he isn't at all wrong on. It's the mantra of the left, call something like murder of a child, woman's health, Give illegals "sanctuary" Progressives live in opposites world and their main tactic is to deflect whatever shitty behavior they're partaking in onto those who disagree with them.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mulan