Today 01:00 AM
8 Replies, 1,148 Views

Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Boss Key Productions Shuts Down

Quote:
CliffyB's Statement

As of today, Boss Key Productions is effectively no more.

Four years ago I set out to make a world class video game studio and I hired some of the best talent in the video game industry. They worked tirelessly to produce quality products and, while we had our ups and downs, Iíd like to think we had fun doing it. LawBreakers was a great game that unfortunately failed to gain traction, and, in a last ditch attempt we scrambled to do our take on the huge battle royale genre with Radical Heights, which was well received, however, it was too little too late.

As for myself, Iím going to take some time off and reflect. I need to focus on myself and family as well as my Aussie, Teddy, who is slowly fading from us. Video games will forever be a part of who I am and I hope to make something new again someday, however, I need to withdraw and take this time.

To those of you who have supported myself and the studio these last four years, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart and everyone who came to work for me.

Please note that the servers for Radical Heights will remain up for the near future.

Thanks again, Cliff
Bwahahahahahahaha...
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

This will be the 2nd time he has "retired" from video games. He really did seem like a decent guy back in the Unreal days, I guess you throw that much money at someone who is basically insecure and you get instant douchebag.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Idea 1) Let's make something like Overwatch.

Idea 2) Let's make something like Fortnite.

Idea 3) I'm going to go cuddle with my dog.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Not going to link it here but google image search "cliffyb cuck" and the first result is hilarious.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Not going to link it here but google image search "cliffyb cuck" and the first result is hilarious.
Yea, I saw that. The image above was like the 4th image when I did a search for CliffyB and I thought it was hilarious that this is the kind of images that he has associated with him.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

I heard him on an old JRE podcast. Didn't sound like a bad guy. The gaming world moves fast, and there really aren't many of the developers left from the old days (Caramack, Romero, CliffyB, Gabe Newell).

wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

As much as people like to think they're special when they succeed, I think success is often as much random freaking luck as it is anything unique or particular about an individual and his/her talents. He was fortunate and his luck ran out.

Hopefully he was smart enough to protect his assets or he's also broke now...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
Primus
Valar Morghulis

I like how everyone piles onto this guy, and for what? Being outspoken and giving us one of the best franchises in recent memory?

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
I like how everyone piles onto this guy, and for what? Being outspoken and giving us one of the best franchises in recent memory?
I have to agree. People love jumping on hate trains for certain celebrities.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Booda
Beam another Blast

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
There is a big gap between being outspoken and showing off your money, cars and whores in public and then being a gigantic asshole about it at the same time.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
hund_
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
This will be the 2nd time he has "retired" from video games.
wasn't he was actually fired from epic?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
What franchise was that Gears? lol paint by numbers shooters circa 1993? He's another John Romero, thinks he's gods gift to gaming and fell flat on his face.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
There is a big gap between being outspoken and showing off your money, cars and whores in public and then being a gigantic asshole about it at the same time.
I partly agree with you but trust me when I say cliffyb might have been a big douche in the height of his success but believe me when I say he's a poodle compared to the people in the industry who are smart enough to not be in the public eye but be cliffyb x 1000.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #15
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I partly agree with you but trust me when I say cliffyb might have been a big douche in the height of his success but believe me when I say he's a poodle compared to the people in the industry who are smart enough to not be in the public eye but be cliffyb x 1000.
Yeah, but once you put yourself in the public eye the public gets to judge. You reap what you sow. As much as he thinks of himself as celebrity, he doesnít have the benefit of public damage control. If he thinks that highly of himself he should probably hire a handler before his next public venture. Mabey his wife telling him to stay the fuck off of social media might be a good start.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #16
Azzy
Cthulian

Part of the problem is when these guys try to brand themselves. they never do it in a way that makes me think, oh man, what's he going to do next?
Romero couldn't do it, Molyneux couldn't do it, Garriott almost did it to the comicon crowd but didn't do it.. they're not rockstars no matter how desperately they want to be.
Then you go and pick one of the worst monikers in the industry.. oof. You can't go by a name that people don't want to type much less say out loud. Imagine being his assistant.
"Um, Mr. CliffyB, you have a call on.. uhh.. sir.. Mr. CliffyB? Yeah, sorry to interrupt, but you have a call on line two. It's Lord British."
Fuck that.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #17
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

Twether tis nobler in the mind!
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:54 AM   #18
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Agree. Pretty disgusting behaviour from Evil. The guy has made some good games and is passionate as hell. On top of that he really tried to support his last game beyond release and make it into something people wanted to play, by all accounts it was a decent game. To laugh at him as his company folds and people lose their job is fucking disgraceful.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #19
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Agree. Pretty disgusting behaviour from Evil. The guy has made some good games and is passionate as hell. On top of that he really tried to support his last game beyond release and make it into something people wanted to play, by all accounts it was a decent game. To laugh at him as his company folds and people lose their job is fucking disgraceful.
Alright. Let's get a few things straight here.

Two games that he did that I played more than just a few hours on. Jazz Jack Rabbit and Unreal. Props for that.

Then he shit on the pc crowd and heads to console. Develops for console then he shits on them. Comes back to PC and develops some fucking tone death terrible games because 'his name carries weight' with his fucking archaic idea of game design and then as a hail mary tosses out another clone.

Now, let it not go unsaid the games had quality and craftsmanship on par with triple A studios because hey triple A talent the only difference being money and time. Lawbreakers performed well on PC but on console was a mess with a terrible stutter. But it doesn't matter because the games were fucking boring. I felt like I was playing UT again when they tried to mix things up and they were trying to resurrect it. Which is fine but with overwatch right there with so much distinction and changes in dynamics to game play that is just totally alien to a guy who is responsible for UT and Gears of War it was very apparent he just didn't get it and hadn't played many games in quite some time. Probably too busy travelling with the money he made off of his oculus so whatever good for him. One of the co-founders of Bioware cashed out, divorced his wife and tours the world reviewing beer. Same story.

The thing is cliffyb just stopped playing games at some point so he lost the pulse of what to develop would be awesome next. I know people love bulletstorm but to me it was boring. The audio didn't bother me I love swearing. The game play is like playing a 90's fps with a whip and a kick. Big yawn. Gears of War did absolutely nothing for me I tried to like it but god is everything he has done since UT just bland. Where was the ideas guy who came up with the weapons for UT? Was cliff even responsible for that? Hell that shit inspired games like ratchet and clank, etc. I don't see none of that forward thinking shit.

I do feel bad for the people who have to deal with the loss of their jobs due to the shuttering but I mean come on. Cliff can talk well for a nerd and that's why publishers listen to him but lord has his games been boring for quite some time. If he made a jazz jack rabbit legends I'd come back for that.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:16 AM   #20
Eats
Developer

Idk a ton about cliffyb, but this seems like a lot of hate for not a lot of reason.

Making games is hard, making good games is super hard. I don't think his success was luck like Terran is saying, and I don't think there are a ton of successful people riding on pure luck. Video Games are a tough industry and while there is some luck involved, outside of maybe Notch I have never seen someone I thought was just super lucky.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idiot asshole, lawbreakers, radical heights