31 Replies, 2,418 Views
Sins of a Solar Empire:...
Last post by Mozain
11-18-2018 10:26 AM
1 Replies, 315 Views

Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

BioWare's Anthem Delayed to Early 2019, EA Says it Wants a More Quiet Release Window

GamesRadar has the story.

Quote:
Update: EA has confirmed that it now plans to release Anthem in early 2019 instead of fall 2018. It claims the delay was driven by business strategy rather than development concerns: as a new franchise, Anthem may benefit from skipping the holiday rush to 'own' a less-crowded release window. And this way it won't directly compete with EA's own new Battlefield game, currently planned for October.

Original story: BioWare is putting all of its eggs into one Anthem sized basket, according to a new report from Kotaku, which suggests that the open world multiplayer shooter from the studio behind Mass Effect and Dragon Age will likely be delayed well into 2019, despite the Fall 2018 release window first teased in last year’s E3 reveal trailer.

The majority of staff within both of BioWare’s development studios are now working on Anthem, Kotaku’s Jason Schreier reports, citing three internal sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Though one of those sources state that the still official release of 'Fall 2018' was “never realistic”, the factors behind a potential delay have been accentuated by BioWare’s desire to make Anthem as great a game as it possibly can be in the wake of controversies surrounding other similarly online-focused titles like Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2.

In addition, following last year’s uneven reception to Mass Effect: Andromeda, Schreier reports that there is a feeling amongst employees that the future fate and identity of the BioWare is “inextricably tied to the game.” This, in addition to hurdles in development process related to persistent issues with DICE’s Frostbite engine, has made the prospect of a readjusted release date all the more likely.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

This game is cancelled. No way they are releasing it with the market as it is. Maybe they will morph the game into something else.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Game looks amazing, I'm pretty excited about it. However, I'm not excited that they haven't shown anything new or given us more details. I hope it lives up to some of the hype and its not filled with micro transactions and missions that force you to find teams.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
This game is cancelled. No way they are releasing it with the market as it is. Maybe they will morph the game into something else.
LOL it's not canceled at all, EA is shipping a Battlefield title in Anthem's former suggested ship schedule hence they bumped it up to a quarter that EA is not shipping a big release.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
Meeks
Evil Dead

I feel like this is going to need to be reeeeeally solid to do well commercially. We've had a handful of titles in this category come along over the last couple of years and do okay. But if Anthem turns out to be Destiny with a couple bells and whistles slapped on, it will fizzle and quickly fall flat.

Bungie would be wise to take a page out of Blizzard's playbook with what they did with World of Warcraft in a then-budding MMO market. While it wasn't the MMO for me, Blizzard were smart in recognizing what was holding back other MMOs from more mainstream adoption. Streamline gameplay, make it accessible to the casual gamer yet loaded with content for all segments of the customer base. Go heavy on the variety of cosmetic customizations and cultivate a thriving community with a fleshed-out toolkit of social mechanisms. Don't get greedy/stupid with your cash shop implementation.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #6
mojo_x
Soul Reaper

I wonder if a future purchase from Microsoft has anything to do with this.
mojo_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
The likelihood of a high-profile, expensive title like this being cancelled is slim to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_x View Post
I wonder if a future purchase from Microsoft has anything to do with this.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #8
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

This was the least surprising news I've heard in decades. When watching the trailer for it during E3, and seeing the 2018 release date, I never believed that.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem, bioware, ea games