Today 12:26 PM
1 Replies, 465 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

$DLC, Season Passes, Micro Transactions, and Ads

Quote:
Activision Blizzard (ATVI) has cracked one of the codes of the New Gilded Age. It found a way to use scads of digital data to monetize peopleís free time.

On February 10, the video-game publisher reported full-year sales of $6.6 billion. That is an increase of 42% over 2015. And digital revenue was a record $4.87 billion, almost double the 2015 figure. Itís all because management bet big on the shift toward engagement monetization.

Thatís jargon for selling stuff inside the games on an ongoing basis, or through ads. In its Candy Crush franchise, this may be the sale of an extra life of a lollipop hammer.

Speaking to analysts on the conference call Friday, Activision Blizzardís Chief Operating Officer Thomas Tippl put the companyís engagement success in perspective: ďIn 2016, consumers spent approximately 43 billion hours playing and watching Activision Blizzard content, on par with Netflix and over one-and-a-half times Snapchat.Ē
Via ETF Daily News
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

I've been surprised to find out that some of the people I know, individuals that I certainly wouldn't think of as gamers, attest to spending a few dollars here or there on a tablet game or phone based game. Listening to the radio a month ago or so, the claim was put out that the average paying Game of War player was spending $550 per year.

If people want to pay a dollar or whatever for a special skin, I don't care. To me, it only becomes an issue when such transactions are all be required to actually play the game -- but I simply won't play them if they negatively affect my enjoyment.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dlc, season pass, wallet rape