Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Rockstar Begins Selling...
Last post by MavenACTG
Today 09:53 AM
36 Replies, 1,182 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 09:36 AM
8 Replies, 135 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by TheHulk
Today 09:03 AM
14 Replies, 499 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 08:27 AM
1 Replies, 86 Views
NieR:Automata Game of...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 07:55 AM
13 Replies, 821 Views
Assassin's Creed Odyssey...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 05:08 AM
2 Replies, 231 Views
Blizzard Begins...
Last post by Azrael
Today 04:45 AM
15 Replies, 1,115 Views
Metro Exodus goes gold,...
Last post by Azrael
Today 04:44 AM
8 Replies, 689 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
I was hoping Deadpool 2 was going to be out this week, too. I'm one of the old fogies who likes having the discs and it would have been fun to have 'em both on the same day.

I can wait a week, I suppose.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
I love how the Academy is more or less creating a participation award for superhero movies.

That's like giving McDonald's a Michelin Star simply because a shitload of people eat there.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
I love how the Academy is more or less creating a participation award for superhero movies.

That's like giving McDonald's a Michelin Star simply because a shitload of people eat there.
I don't think it's a participation trophy, as much as it's an answer to the backlash the Academy has been receiving for at least the past decade. With rare exception, they typically don't celebrate films most moviegoers would even be familiar with and tend to favor certain types of films over others. The term "Oscar bait" exists for a reason, after all.

There has been a huge disconnect between the Academy and most moviegoers (even the pickier ones) for a long, long time. While I don't think they should celebrate movies simply because they made a shitload of money, it would be nice to see other stuff in the mix aside from the usual crap most people haven't even heard of.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I don't think it's a participation trophy, as much as it's an answer to the backlash the Academy has been receiving for at least the past decade. With rare exception, they typically don't celebrate films most moviegoers would even be familiar with and tend to favor certain types of films over others. The term "Oscar bait" exists for a reason, after all.

There has been a huge disconnect between the Academy and most moviegoers (even the pickier ones) for a long, long time. While I don't think they should celebrate movies simply because they made a shitload of money, it would be nice to see other stuff in the mix aside from the usual crap most people haven't even heard of.
It's a participation award. There is no way in hell the way the Academy is currently made up that they are going to give a semi-live action cartoon the Best Picture Oscar or any other Oscar that's currently on the list. Those superhero type films currently might be able to pull off the "Academy Award for Best Animated Feature" but then they'll piss off the 100% animation enthusiasts. Hence why they came up with the "Popular Film" award or better known as the "Will you all shut the fuck up now... we gave your favorite shitty movie an award" Oscar.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 901
Finally saw Infinity War and it was good. I'm definitely not the target demo having grown up on and absorbed thousands of comics I can pretty much outline exactly how the story will go. The only part of the movie that really stuck out for me was Spiderman's finale. Well done and even knowing he is coming back it was still emotional. Seems rare for superhero movies to pull it off after the series of gut punches that was Logan. Still looking forward to the next part. Good job and way more satisfying than Star Wars.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
It's a participation award. There is no way in hell the way the Academy is currently made up that they are going to give a semi-live action cartoon the Best Picture Oscar or any other Oscar that's currently on the list. Those superhero type films currently might be able to pull off the "Academy Award for Best Animated Feature" but then they'll piss off the 100% animation enthusiasts. Hence why they came up with the "Popular Film" award or better known as the "Will you all shut the fuck up now... we gave your favorite shitty movie an award" Oscar.
Well, that's kind of the point: The Oscars lacks certain categories that cause some otherwise great films to be left out in the cold. I'm not even pretending to say that Infinity War should be up for Best Picture, but there are some phenomenal action movies or comedy movies that go entirely unrecognized by the Academy in most cases.

What you call "participation trophy", I call "steps towards recognizing good or great films that aren't just Oscar Bait".
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
What you call "participation trophy", I call "steps towards recognizing good or great films that aren't just Oscar Bait".
Great point. Maybe we can get an award for "Most Likes On Facebook" or how about "Most Retweets On Twitter"?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Conco
Dread Lord
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 120
why am I having issues finding a reasonably priced 4K version of Infinity War for purchase? its been a decade since I purchased a DVD/Blu-Ray, all I want to do is watch it on my brand new 4K TV.
Conco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,402
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conco View Post
why am I having issues finding a reasonably priced 4K version of Infinity War for purchase? its been a decade since I purchased a DVD/Blu-Ray, all I want to do is watch it on my brand new 4K TV.
Disney is still fighting with Amazon, so they don't list Disney movies until release day.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:16 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead
 
Wizzkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,588
UPGRADE is out this week digitally. That movie is great, saw it in the theater solo because no one else, wife included, wanted to see it. Just bought it on Vudu and watched it with my wife and she really enjoyed it. It's one of those films that is way better than you'd expect. I like the writer/director, lead actor and what the story was about, so I was in day one, but I can see how some people wouldn't be attracted to it.

It's like Robocop mixed with The Matrix, but simpler and more fun.
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, that's kind of the point: The Oscars lacks certain categories that cause some otherwise great films to be left out in the cold.

...there are some phenomenal action movies or comedy movies that go entirely unrecognized by the Academy in most cases.
Apparently the films that you are referring to had their moment in the sun just the other evening.

Teen Choice Awards 2018 Winners: The Complete List
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Apparently the films that you are referring to had their moment in the sun just the other evening.

Teen Choice Awards 2018 Winners: The Complete List
Yeah...no. I think you're kinda missing the point.

It's extremely rare when films like the Lord of the Rings trilogy get recognized by the Academy. There are a number of films that get overlooked simply because of their subject matter or genre, despite the fact that they'd arguably have the same level of care, craftsmanship, and quality as other films they decide to pay attention to.

The Academy is painfully out of touch and while I don't think films should be handed a trophy specifically because they made a ton of money, I'd like to see them acknowledge films outside of Oscar-bait dramas with a little more frequency.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah...no. I think you're kinda missing the point.
"The teens have spoken!"

I'm pretty sure that is the point.

Maybe you're just butthurt they didn't have "Best Kiss" up there as a category.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
"The teens have spoken!"

I'm pretty sure that is the point.

Maybe you're just butthurt they didn't have "Best Kiss" up there as a category.
Like I said, you're missing the point.

Carry on, then.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Like I said, you're missing the point.

Carry on, then.
I don't know what you're complaining about. Hell, the movies you're referring to actually have two award shows.

2018 MTV Movie & TV Award Winners

Between that and the Teen Choice Awards the Super Friends flicks are rotten with accolades. You should be pleased as punch. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any superheros won in the "Best Kiss" department this year. Oh well, something to shoot for in 2019.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
NightRain
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,622
Physical copy of Dead Cells is also being released this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Cells-Ni...70_&dpSrc=srch
__________________
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
I don't know what you're complaining about. Hell, the movies you're referring to actually have two award shows.

2018 MTV Movie & TV Award Winners

Between that and the Teen Choice Awards the Super Friends flicks are rotten with accolades. You should be pleased as punch. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any superheros won in the "Best Kiss" department this year. Oh well, something to shoot for in 2019.
It's worth pointing out that I never once said the likes of Infinity War should be up for anything like Best Picture, or that they'd even be deserving of acknowledgment at the Oscars. It is, however, part of a genre that is typically ignored.

But, like I've said...you've just been missing the point.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,402
Blog Entries: 20
I think the Oscar for Best Picture should always go to the film that made the most money. The largest number of people saw that film and making money is the whole point of the industry.

Better to celebrate the biggest winner as the “Best” picture than to keep giving it to films that no one saw that the quality is often debatable.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think the Oscar for Best Picture should always go to the film that made the most money. The largest number of people saw that film and making money is the whole point of the industry.

Better to celebrate the biggest winner as the “Best” picture than to keep giving it to films that no one saw that the quality is often debatable.
See, I don't agree with that notion at all. "Best Picture" and "Picture That Made The Most Money" don't typically go hand-in-hand. By this standard, Disney's live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast would have been in contention for Best Picture for 2017...and I think we can all agree that it wasn't even close to being the best.

I think they need to acknowledge more films than just the Oscar-bait dramas they typically cater to...but I also don't think it should be a prize handed out to the folks who make the most money, simply because they made the most money.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly release list

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 AM.