19,082 Replies, 3,970,938 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by MusicToEat
Today 01:41 PM
13 Replies, 433 Views

Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Honestly a small, but funny problem. If this is the only issue day one, then this is the most successful game launch in a long time when you consider over a million copies were sold in one day.

From everything I've read, R* has done a fantastic job, not only with the launch, but also the game itself. Well done.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #22
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Honestly a small, but funny problem. If this is the only issue day one, then this is the most successful game launch in a long time when you consider over a million copies were sold in one day.

From everything I've read, R* has done a fantastic job, not only with the launch, but also the game itself. Well done.
The game is amazing. Unfortunately, on my FX-8350 and 290 4gb at 1920x1200 it stutters in high traffic. I think it's time to get a Haswell-E System.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #23
screwyluie
Evil Dead

I would adjust settings or wait for a new driver or something. your system should handle the game without stuttering
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
I would adjust settings or wait for a new driver or something.
Said Tiger Woods, to his two remaining fans, of his slow and steady slide into ignominy and invisibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
The game is amazing. Unfortunately, on my FX-8350 and 290 4gb at 1920x1200 it stutters in high traffic. I think it's time to get a Haswell-E System.
Blame your processor or HDD. Time to upgrade indeed.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #26
n00bIEwaN007
Evil Dead

After resetting my SC password, I had no issues running the game once installed. Steam version running on Win7 and ATI Radeon HD5800, my bottleneck being said card. Still runs fine just not seeing it in all its glory. Yet.

happy gaming
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #27
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Blame your processor or HDD. Time to upgrade indeed.
I downloaded and installed to my HDD, then immediately moved it to my Samsung 850PRO.

No, you know what it is? I just figured it out. My memory. I'm running out. I'm running up against the 8GB barrier. I can literally restart my PC, launch the game and in Windowed mode get into a long chase and watch the memory climb to nearly 4GB or more. Now, I can either buy another 2x4GB pair and shove it in, or buy a Haswell-E system wtih 32GB of quad-channel memory and another 290GB so I can get it to look like the video above.

**Edit
Just ordered the $65 memory. What, did you think I was crazy?

Last edited by brandonjclark; 04-14-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Old 04-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #29
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
I downloaded and installed to my HDD, then immediately moved it to my Samsung 850PRO.

No, you know what it is? I just figured it out. My memory. I'm running out. I'm running up against the 8GB barrier. I can literally restart my PC, launch the game and in Windowed mode get into a long chase and watch the memory climb to nearly 4GB or more. Now, I can either buy another 2x4GB pair and shove it in, or buy a Haswell-E system wtih 32GB of quad-channel memory and another 290GB so I can get it to look like the video above.

**Edit
Just ordered the $65 memory. What, did you think I was crazy?
What the hell do you have running in the background?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #30
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
What the hell do you have running in the background?
4GB of video memory. It gets mapped to system mem. I effectively only have 4gb of system ram, right?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #31
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
4GB of video memory. It gets mapped to system mem. I effectively only have 4gb of system ram, right?
You can have it set up to where when you go beyond the VRAM it can compensate with system memory but that's useless for gaming. It basically just dumps the excess data to system RAM. You were talking about your system RAM before so I presumed that's what you were referencing again. You need to go back in the game and tweak the settings manually. Once you get it close to the maximum of four gigs it should perform steadily unless you have another problem such as a background memory leak from some other process.

You may be thinking of integrated graphics processing that utilizes the system memory. The worst bottleneck you have is that processor.

Last edited by Suicidal ShiZuru; 04-14-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
sgtslappy
Subscriber

Quote:
No, not a Microsoft account, a Windows account. Had you setup Windows with the account sgtslappy@gmailz.Com you'd be sol, I believe.
Ahh, that makes sense. I don't think I've ever considered making my user account name my actual email address. Strange! Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #33
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtslappy View Post
Ahh, that makes sense. I don't think I've ever considered making my user account name my actual email address. Strange! Thanks for the clarification.
It WOULD be strange, but friggin microsoft thought to have users enter it in Windows setup for win8. So stupid.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #34
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
PC master race
The Master has many names. And user names.

But usually only 2 or 3 passwords.

Quote:
You can have it set up to where when you go beyond the VRAM it can compensate with system memory but that's useless for gaming. It basically just dumps the excess data to system RAM. You were talking about your system RAM before so I presumed that's what you were referencing again. You need to go back in the game and tweak the settings manually. Once you get it close to the maximum of four gigs it should perform steadily unless you have another problem such as a background memory leak from some other process.

You may be thinking of integrated graphics processing that utilizes the system memory. The worst bottleneck you have is that processor.
The contents of VRAM are duplicated in system memory on Windows. This is how you can have a segmented memory system like you do on PC yet still change tasks relativity smoothly. Therefore, if you have 4GB of video memory that is nearly full and 8GB of system memory, you'll only have about 4GB left.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #35
cruelcynic
Soul Reaper

People complaining about this launch must have not been around for the often delayed GTA Online launch. Took days to get that running. I played heists with friends all day today with great visuals and 60fps. It was great. Feel bad for the people having problems though.
cruelcynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #36
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
The contents of VRAM are duplicated in system memory on Windows. This is how you can have a segmented memory system like you do on PC yet still change tasks relativity smoothly. Therefore, if you have 4GB of video memory that is nearly full and 8GB of system memory, you'll only have about 4GB left.
I'm pretty sure you're both wrong here... You may be thinking of the page file which doesn't even function like that. The stuttering is caused by not having enough VRAM and then the OS utilizes system memory which is a lot slower. Not because it ran out of RAM in general.

I'm looking in to this since I'm curious but can't find a definitive answer. I think I've let you confuse me. Do you mean the AGP Aperture? That was an old school method of getting a performance boost.

Last edited by Suicidal ShiZuru; 04-15-2015 at 12:58 AM..
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #37
bean19
Butt Stallion

I don't understand these numbers. I only have 2G of VRAM on my card and the game looks gorgeous without any pop-in or anything.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:18 AM   #38
Strider
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Here at evilavatar.com, the bargain bin means $40.
That thought was actually crossing my mind at the time of writing, of course I was referring to a really bargain price of around 10$.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 AM   #39
defiant
Evil Dead

300,000 combined players on steam overnight, seems to me that most people are not having issues.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #40
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're both wrong here... You may be thinking of the page file which doesn't even function like that. The stuttering is caused by not having enough VRAM and then the OS utilizes system memory which is a lot slower. Not because it ran out of RAM in general.

I'm looking in to this since I'm curious but can't find a definitive answer. I think I've let you confuse me. Do you mean the AGP Aperture? That was an old school method of getting a performance boost.
Actually, I'm wrong because I'm old and didn't notice that the problem got fixed with Windows 7. But it was previously true, VRAM was duplicated in system memory.

Also, I wasn't commenting on any specific stuttering or issue caused by this, but the fact that a game that uses a lot of resources in VRAM would also use a lot of resources in system RAM because they are duplicated. Even without the requirement that they are duplicated, you would obviously have identical files in both memory pools often anyway. That's one of the drawbacks of segmented memory.

Tags
fail, gta 5, rockstar games, username