April 2020 Games with...
Last post by Aerol901
Yesterday 07:30 AM
5 Replies, 599 Views

Old 04-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

N64 and DS Games on Wii U

Nintendo made the announcement today that N64 and DS titles will be coming to the Wii-U virtual console. To celebrate the news, they've already placed 1 game from each platform on the Wii-U eShop. Super Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island(DS). Each of the two games cost $9.99.

The following games and release dates have also been announced, with more to come:

April 9
Yoshi’s Touch & Go (DS)
WarioWare Touched (DS)

April 16
Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

April 23
Mario Kart DS (DS)

April 30
Paper Mario (N64)

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 04-01-2015 at 05:54 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
AlienDev
Banned

The only game on that list I'd like to still play is Mario 64 which I can just plug in my N64 to play (I still have my old copy)
AlienDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDev View Post
The only game on that list I'd like to still play is Mario 64 which I can just plug in my N64 to play (I still have my old copy)
I hear ya. Though I'm glad it's happening in general. Hopefully they will bring the better N64 games over, that I WOULD have interest in. (I don't have an N64 any longer). I will probably grab Super Mario 64. I haven't played it since it's initial release, and it's one of my favorites in the franchise.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I'm guessing they'll never put these games up there but I'd love to play the old THQ AKI engine wrestling games on the eshop. Or even better, the Def Jam games. I had a blast playing those.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Honest question: Is there anything about these virtual console titles that makes them anything more than ROMs? For example, do they alter the controls so that N64 titles function with dual analog sticks or anything of the sort, or are they just essentially...ROMs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Honest question: Is there anything about these virtual console titles that makes them anything more than ROMs? For example, do they alter the controls so that N64 titles function with dual analog sticks or anything of the sort, or are they just essentially...ROMs?
Great question, Terran. Here's what I know at least.

Basically, Nintendo said they want to keep the games as true to the original as possible, and they've done that, however they also seem to pay attention to each virtual console game and make modifications that make sense, making it better then a pure ROM.

Example: The NES version of StarTropics shipped with a piece of paper, resembling parchment, which was an integral part of advancing the game's storyline. At one point in the game, the player is instructed to dip the paper into water, revealing a code required to continue. Virtual Console releases of this game work around the absence of this physical item by simulating it in-game. There are several other examples where Nintendo modified the game, bringing it out of the state of pure ROM.

Here are some of the other features of the Virtual Console I enjoy:

1. You can project the games on your TV or play them on the gamepad if someone want's to use the TV. Or both simultaneously. My son/wife will sometimes watch me play virtual console games on the TV, though I'm looking at the gamepad.

2. From what Nintendo announced today, the N64 games can be mapped using any buttons you want. I'm not 100% certain, but the diagram they showed looked like it was indicating mapping buttons on the right-analog stick, making it duel analog instead of the "C" buttons.

The other games controls can't be mapped beyond what Nintendo has mapped it to, to my knowledge.

3. Save/restore state features. (Obviously you get this with emulators, but I didn't know this feature existed until I got a Wii U. Nice surprise for virtual console games).

4. Gamepad will simulate the rumble feature.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I'm guessing they'll never put these games up there but I'd love to play the old THQ AKI engine wrestling games on the eshop. Or even better, the Def Jam games. I had a blast playing those.
Yep, that would be stellar. I'd buy them immediately.

Wrestlemania 2000? Yes please. It'll be interesting to see what they do release. I'd also love to see the San Francisco Rush games.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 04-01-2015 at 08:36 PM..
Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #8
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Definitely be buying DK64 when that goes up. Was just thinking the other day I'd like to go through that game again. I'll happily drop the $2 to upgrade my Star Fox 64 to the Wii U version too, whenever they get around to releasing that.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #9
Strider
Evil Dead

This has to stop, seriously. Nintendo is locking us in with every console cycle, and you even have to pay to get the VC games you already have from Wii to Wii-U, and can't even "upgrade" all.

If I buy the license, make it available to enjoy on all capable (future) systems, using a normal account system (user/login).
As it is, I have to urge everyone not to buy VC games.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:57 AM   #10
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nintendo is locking us in with every console cycle, and you even have to pay to get the VC games you already have from Wii to Wii-U, and can't even "upgrade" all.
They have the only backwards compatible console on the market, and all owned Wii VC can be downloaded from the Wii shop and played on Wii U as-is for no extra cost. What you pay for with the upgrades is the enhanced feature set that supports the new peripherals and some new system features.

Sure, it'd be nice if they released that stuff for free. Still, I prefer being able to drop a $1-2 for it rather than it just be tossed as-is on to the system with no hope for updates ever. Have a ton of PC games from before XInput was standardized, and I don't see those studios making an effort to upgrade their old games to new controller standards.

I do wish they had a proper account system though. Have to see how that changes for the next system. This generation introduced the Nintendo account, and we know they're making some changes to that stuff this year--most likely in preparation for new systems. Wii users are kinda boned though, since all that stuff was purely tied to specific hardware.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 AM   #11
Strider
Evil Dead

Using the wii menu on wii-u is possible, of course, but that's just jumping through hoops and you've already paid the license for the VC game.

There is absolutely no reason to pay for the "upgrade" on a per-game basis. Maybe per-system (SNES/NES/GBA) basis, for the adaption to the Wii-u.

But anyway, it's a personal choice anyway, so you don't have to buy anything. If it works for their sales...
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:17 AM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

Nintendo's online strategy is over a decade behind the times. No wonder they turned to a Japanese Freemium mobile phone company for help. I can't wait for the debut of the Nintendo MySpace page with exclusive glittering images of Samus and Zelda, covered in kissing lips and dancing cats.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 AM   #13
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
2. From what Nintendo announced today, the N64 games can be mapped using any buttons you want. I'm not 100% certain, but the diagram they showed looked like it was indicating mapping buttons on the right-analog stick, making it duel analog instead of the "C" buttons.

The other games controls can't be mapped beyond what Nintendo has mapped it to, to my knowledge.
Highly off-topic (apologies for that), but has anyone tried the button-mapping feature in the new PS4 firmware update? Somehow, it doesn't work for me, as the PS4 refuses to use R2 as the X button and remaps it to R1, even though it's set correctly in the configuration menu. Even in the PS4 menus, I have to use R1 instead of R2. I desperately want to try "Dying Light" with the face buttons for jumping and attacking, and it works somewhat - but now jumping is [], and attacking is X, which feels extremely weird.
[/hijack]
Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Nintendo's online strategy is over a decade behind the times. No wonder they turned to a Japanese Freemium mobile phone company for help. I can't wait for the debut of the Nintendo MySpace page with exclusive glittering images of Samus and Zelda, covered in kissing lips and dancing cats.
In your pipe dreams, man Though at a small premium, I like the business model of backwards compatible over their last system and 5 other systems. Especially when all of those systems have about 25-40 exclusives worth owning.

I JUST picked up Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii-U from the eSHOP for 20 bucks. That's a Wii title currently selling on the black market for $100. The Metroid Prime trilogy for 20 is the best bundle since the Orange Box.

Why do we play video games? For entertainment. There's a nice pocket of people who find Nintendo's consoles/games entertaining. That's enough. If anyone else wants to exclude themselves from that portion of their gaming hobby, obviously they're completely entitled to do so.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 AM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Highly off-topic (apologies for that), but has anyone tried the button-mapping feature in the new PS4 firmware update? Somehow, it doesn't work for me, as the PS4 refuses to use R2 as the X button and remaps it to R1, even though it's set correctly in the configuration menu. Even in the PS4 menus, I have to use R1 instead of R2. I desperately want to try "Dying Light" with the face buttons for jumping and attacking, and it works somewhat - but now jumping is [], and attacking is X, which feels extremely weird.
[/hijack]
Sorry Scherge, I wish I knew. No PS4 yet.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
I JUST picked up Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii-U from the eSHOP for 20 bucks.
I don't mind continuing to sell product, I mind their ecosystem requiring those who already purchased a title digitally being forced to buy it again because they have a new Nintendo box. It's the anti-Steam.
Quote:
That's a Wii title currently selling on the black market for $100.
The what market, now?
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #17
mojo_x
Soul Reaper

There should have been a sizable library of N64 & NDS titles there from day one on the Wii U IMO. For me, it just doesn't seem smart to invest in digital marketplace titles for the system this late into its life cycle as they'll inevitably be tied to a system that doesn't seem (sadly) to have much of a future beyond Zelda next year. Nintendo's history of being beyond incredibly slow rolling out legacy titles on its digital marketplace just puts me off entirely. I'll be surprised if they release more than a single N64 + NDS title a month.

Thankfully N64 emulation is making strides again on the PC.
mojo_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I don't mind continuing to sell product, I mind their ecosystem requiring those who already purchased a title digitally being forced to buy it again because they have a new Nintendo box. It's the anti-Steam.

The what market, now?
Well, I'll give you that. Though honestly that's one of the bigger reasons as to why the PC platform is the absolute best in my opinion.

Though all consoles are behind in that way. Look at this generation of consoles. They're selling all of the "good games" from the previous generation back to us again in "definitive editions".

I think Nintendo is looking to correct that with their NX thing, if I had to guess. It sounded, roughly, like that was the plan.

Quote:
The what market, now?
The same market you can buy ..uh...LSD, spiked dildos, rocket launchers and watches with buttons that fall off.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #19
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
The same market you can buy ..uh...LSD, spiked dildos, rocket launchers and watches with buttons that fall off.
Do you mean "Ebay"?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Do you mean "Ebay"?
Yah, exactly. Ebay. Or Etsy for the custom stuff.

Just curious Rommel (no intent behind the question or anything) do you game on consoles at all this generation or primarily PC?