Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 07:56 AM
29 Replies, 1,463 Views

Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog View Post
This. A thousand times this. The original Dark Horse comics were really cool and with a little polish would make a fucking amazing film.
No kidding. A vs P vs Marines. What isn't to like here? Why isn't this a thing?

This one doesn't look bad-bad. It just looks bad and historically they have lost any good will they might have once had that would push me into the theater for this one.

p.s. Predator 2 was good. Fuck you all. Danny Glover with the little boomerang thing ROCKED.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
p.s. Predator 2 was good. Fuck you all. Danny Glover with the little boomerang thing ROCKED.
I liked Predator 2, not as much as the original but it was entertaining. But given the time it was released I'd say the main issue is that people were pissed off that they wanted Arnold Schwarzenegger and they got "the old guy from Lethal Weapon" instead.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #23
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
Predator, Commando, Rambo II/III, RoboCop, Running Man, Cobra, etc.. No one can match those movies. That decade or so was a once in a lifetime event.
This. There is a reason why the remakes (outside of the loss of extreme violence) never translated well into good movies: They are two or three decades out of place. You really can't capture the magic of the 80s where creators and audiences were willing to accept that anything was possible. Now everything is too technical, too layered and over explained. Back in the 80s, shit just happened, and you accepted it. It was about the ride, not the destination, and that is something that is lost on modern movie audiences and executives who keep green lighting films.

Even with Shane Black partially writing and directing, it will not be anything like his recent great films (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys) or his older films (Predator, The Long Kiss Goodnight).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #24
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Also, action directors suck nowadays. John McTiernan, even though it was his first action movie (I think) he really knew how to direct action. And you notice it perfectly in Predator, the first action scene was directed by the second crew. The rest (the good part of the movie) is directed by him. And what started as a B monster movie turned out to be one of the best action movies of all time.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #25
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Pointless remake
Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #26
actusoul
Evil Dead

I will hang on to the original. One of the great action/sci-fi movies. They have completely destroyed the franchise. This movie is embarrassing.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #27
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

I fully agree....

They need a aliens vs predator movie based in the aliens future sci fi setting.

What is it with these movie makers always bringing them back to modern time, that's a horrible idea, we've seen it, and you can't make it more bad ass, but you could take the aliens universe bring a predator and make it a fantastic war on a planet being terraformed or otherwise used for some kind of resource.

The aliens vs predator novel has it done right, the humans were on a desert planet farming cow like creatures for their meat and skin, little did they know it was a planet used for 100s of years for yautja aka predator hunting parties.

*spoiler*

Admittedly at one point, one of the clan leaders who was in charge of unblooded yautja teams up with some of the humans, or A human.

At a few key points the elder predator slays a few unblooded hunters because they broke clan rules and decided to hunt humans with no honor and without being blooded first.

I love the book, because it huminizes the yautja while at the same time keeping them barbaric, kind of like a space samurai or spartan, looking for a honorable death.

but hollywood always makes them monsters with tech, and when you're appealing to fans of predator, the biggest fans want to see more of the predators culture and interaction, a few seconds dare I say moments? in the avp films showed us what yautja prime looked like, or their version of it.

I just want to dove in to that 10 seconds and see the world and how they interact.

Anyway, maybe one day someone will make proper concept, until then I guess we're stuck with yautja vs hulk yautja.

I'm still holding out that this super predator is a bad blood predator and the yautja is some kind of cleaner or enforcer predator that stops dishonorable ones, almost like a bounty hunter or yautja government agent, I"d be open to the idea....it would explain the look of the armor.

I could rant forever, oh and on a side note.....FUCK Gear box, we might have seen a new AVP game by now if they didn't literally destroy the good will of the aliens franchisee in gaming, hopefully someone will pick up the title soon before it vanishes forever.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #28
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

That's the best trailer yet, and it is starting to look good now, but being that Predator is tied for my favorite film of all time, I am still very worried about this one. I would've rather had a direct sequel to 2010's "Predators." That one gets better every time I see it, I can only hope this one ends up being at least "good."

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:19 AM   #29
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
I'm still holding out that this super predator is a bad blood predator and the yautja is some kind of cleaner or enforcer predator that stops dishonorable ones, almost like a bounty hunter or yautja government agent, I"d be open to the idea....it would explain the look of the armor.
I don't think that's likely, because it would confuse the new audience with unwanted narrative and plot elements. Also, you'd need Dolph to clean up the mess...
Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #30
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Pointless remake
It isn't a remake, so there's that.

I suppose you could call it a pointless sequel, but I'm still reserving a certain amount of optimism. Not much, mind you...but there's a bit, just because I like the franchise.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #31
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It isn't a remake, so there's that.

I suppose you could call it a pointless sequel, but I'm still reserving a certain amount of optimism. Not much, mind you...but there's a bit, just because I like the franchise.
I like the franchise too and I even have a soft spot for Aliens vs Predator and Aliens vs Predator 2 and I still think this looks like crap.

Itís just a generic remake of an average film (AvP2) without the Aliens. And we already saw the Big Predator vs Little Predator done better in Predators.

Thatís the thing, you canít just do what has already been done and expect that wishful thinking will somehow make it good.

Other people have pointed out that there is a lot of opportunity here for a good film by showing people more of the Predator worlds or their society. Someone pointed out above that they arenít idiots, they have mastered instellar travel and still exist in a quien es mas macho world. Lots of potential there for storylines that donít boil down to ďbig predator hunts little predator while dorky humans cry in the backgroundĒ.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #32
Terran
Evil Dead

But it's got whatzername...that former QB's....girlfriend, wife, whozit...in it, right?

Yeah, it's bad. Really bad. Like a Peyton Manning pass in his final year. WEAK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #33
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
But it's got whatzername...that former QB's....girlfriend, wife, whozit...in it, right?
That woman is cockthirsty as all get out to be able to lock down film roles like she does. It sure as hell isn't due to her ability to act.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #34
Vulture
Evil Dead

Wait an even bigger heavier Predator and they still don't have Anti-grav? Kill it with Physics!
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #35
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
Wait an even bigger heavier Predator and they still don't have Anti-grav? Kill it with Physics!
Oh, thank God! I was worried that someone wouldn't show up to talk about how scientifically inaccurate the Predator movies are, but you saved the day!
Old 06-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #36
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
predator