Jordan Peele’s Candyman...
Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 06:36 PM
7 Replies, 404 Views

Old 02-03-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Bad Boys Beats Out Newcomers for a 3rd Week

For a third straight weekend in a row Sony's Bad Boys for Life topped the weekend box office, and continues to do so with ease, though it isn't as if the competition from a pair of newcomers was stiff.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of January 31st to February 2nd, 2020.
  1. Bad Boys for Life $17,6/$148.0
  2. 1917 $9.6/$119.2
  3. Dolittle $7.7/$55.2
  4. Gretel & Hansel $6.0/$6.0
  5. The Gentlemen $6.0/$20.4
  6. Jumanji: The Next Level $6.0/$291.2
  7. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $3.1/$507.0
  8. The Turning $3.0/$11.7
  9. Little Women $3.0/$98.7
  10. The Rhythm Section $2.8/$2.8
  11. Knives Out $2.7/$155.7
  12. Just Mercy $2.3/$30.9
The Rhythm Section actually broke a record for having the worst opening weekend of all time for a movie opening in more than 3,000 theaters. Gretel & Hansel is also going to be a huge loss for the studio. 2020 is off to a bad start.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

CONTAINS SUPER MILD SPOILERS!

Bad Boys for Life:
First of all, I’d like to state that the 4d experience wasn’t that bad over here in the UK, but you could save cash by watching the film at home and getting your kids to punch the back of the sofa and spit water at you (every 4 minutes).

Secondly, let’s go for the film review. I’ll watch anything with Will Smith. He is, basically, a safe bet for what I like. I’m aware that Will plays Will in nearly every film, but so does Tom Cruise (no, Tom doesn’t play Will. You know what I mean). It’s the way it is. You know what to expect. Will always manages to express true feeling into the emotional scenes, and I appreciate that.

The film has some genuine thought put into the story, even if the action scenes simply descend into generic territory. John Wick raised the bar on close quarters combat, then extended it ever so slightly into the silly arena. Bad Boys (For Life, apparently) has a few silly fight scenes and opts to end the film with said characteristics. There’s depth, but not much that breaks it from being a reasonable action movie. I’d never, ever, state that the film was amazing, instead exclaiming that it was fun and that’s about it. You will have seen all of this before. Worth a cinema visit.

(I found the scene at the end of the film quite interesting.
Possibly a nice setup for the next film.)

Positives:
-Damn. The Porsche 911 looked beautiful
-Some of the comedy
-Some of the fight scenes

Negatives:
-Nothing really new
-No detail to the ‘tech’ scenes.
-Usual BOOM ending.

P.s. The scene on the plane was just stupid. The drone scenes – You never cross the aerials and, using the standard controller, the drone would ‘return to home’ the moment it entered the building. It would then crash into the side of a wall. At least ‘try’ to get it right!
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

That Gretel & Hansel also crashed and burned, costing the studio tons of money for what they hoped would be another slam-dunk mid-budget horror movie like the Conjuring and Annabelle franchise.

A shame because it's always terrible when horror only does average, it makes the studios not want to take chances on these kinds of films.

I also watched Color Out of Space. Just a terrible film that does nothing right.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Should read "For a third straight weekend, nothing of note or anticipation was released."
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Should read "For a third straight weekend, nothing of note or anticipation was released."
Pretty much this. I'm expecting Birds of Prey to crash and burn this week too. It might hit #1 because nothing else is out there, and it only has to top $17 Million to beat out Bad Boys in week 4, but I think it will end up being a big loss for the studio.

Some $97.1 million was spent making Birds of Prey plus the marketing budget. The break down of ticket revenue is that something like 51.2 percent of all ticket sales goes to the theater. That means Birds of Prey would need to make something like $300 million worldwide just to break even. I don't see that happening.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The Rhythm Section actually broke a record for having the worst opening weekend of all time for a movie opening in more than 3,000 theaters. Gretel & Hansel is also going to be a huge loss for the studio. 2020 is off to a bad start.
I watch movie trailers on an almost daily basis and never heard of The Rhythm Section, guess I wasn't alone.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
I watch movie trailers on an almost daily basis and never heard of The Rhythm Section, guess I wasn't alone.
Pretty much the same. I saw nothing anywhere on twitter about it and I follow a bunch of movie sites.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Blackwing
Slacker

I've only seen one trailer for Rhythm Section, and it was in a compilation of other trailers....not surprised that it flopped.
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Pretty much the same. I saw nothing anywhere on twitter about it and I follow a bunch of movie sites.

Oh, so it's like they took that Jennifer Garner movie "Peppermint" and mashed it together with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo...

Still it amazes me how a movie studio can get so many theaters on board to show a movie and then do nothing to effectively promote that movie. It's like they went out of their way to have it fail.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:31 AM   #10
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
That Gretel & Hansel also crashed and burned, costing the studio tons of money for what they hoped would be another slam-dunk mid-budget horror movie like the Conjuring and Annabelle franchise.
Well to be fair the problem with Gretel & Hansel is that, simply put, it's not a good movie. I saw it and the movie, while visually lush has the following issues that ruin it:
  • If you are marketing a horror movie, you probably want to put some horror in it, waiting for something scary to happen and then never happening does not a horror movie make.. This is more of a thriller
  • The dialog vacillates wildly between modern speech and attempts at period speech.
  • Any moment to build dread or key moments to define characters never happen
  • Character actions, even under certain circumstances, are either not explained or occur for no determinable reason or later impact
  • Things randomly happen in the background, because reasons
  • There is no buildup to the witch or using the buildup to install any dread. Here's the witch, she's odd, so you should hate her
  • Significant life moments happen to a character, but there is no reasoning in the narrative as to why we are shown it or even spend time on it
  • And here is the big killer of this film - The pacing. It starts strong and then suddenly slows to an insufferable grind for the final 3/4 of the film. It just becomes slow and boring

TLDR - If you are going to do a mid... well let's be honest at $5 million this is low budget horror move, the story needs to be great. The nugget of a great horror movie is there but the writer just flat out fails at every opportunity.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Is there any reason shown as of why it was Gretel and Hansel and not the original way?
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
Is there any reason shown as of why it was Gretel and Hansel and not the original way?
I believe the director said it was appropriate only because the movie focused way more on Gretel. However, I think it was also a minor attempt at raising eyebrows and maybe getting some of the "Woohoo! Girl power!" crowd into the theater.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #13
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I believe the director said it was appropriate only because the movie focused way more on Gretel. However, I think it was also a minor attempt at raising eyebrows and maybe getting some of the "Woohoo! Girl power!" crowd into the theater.
And maybe also a way of distancing themselves from that other Hansel and Gretel movie which many did not consider to be very good, but probably will end up having done better at the box office.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:

A shame because it's always terrible when horror only does average, it makes the studios not want to take chances on these kinds of films.

I also watched Color Out of Space. Just a terrible film that does nothing right.
I am seeing Gretel and Hansel TONIGHT!!! And I pre-ordered Color out of Space after re-reading the Lovecraft story.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart