Jordan Peele’s Candyman...
Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 06:36 PM
7 Replies, 404 Views

Old 02-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Birds of Prey Doesn't Fly at the Box Office

Positive reviews and audience response wasn't enough to send Warner Bros.'s Birds of Prey flying too high this weekend. While the latest DC Comics adaptation was able to secure the weekend's #1 slot it fell well short of expectations.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the Weekend of February 7th to February 9th, 2020.
  1. Birds of Prey $33.2/$33.2
  2. Bad Boys for Life $12.0/$166.3
  3. 1917 $9.0/$132.5
  4. Dolittle $6.6/$63.9
  5. Jumanji: The Next Level $5.5/$298.4
  6. The Gentlemen $4.1/$26.8
  7. Gretel & Hansel $3.5/$11.5
  8. Knives Out $2.3/$158.9
  9. Little Women $2.3/$102.6
  10. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $2.2/$510.5
  11. The Turning $1.5/$14.1
  12. Just Mercy $1.5/$33.3
No idea who thought a Harley Quinn movie with no Joker and not a single other costumed character would fly with viewers. Go woke, Go broke.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Go woke, Go broke.
I thought it was "get woke, go broke? Has that been amended?

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-10-2020 at 06:51 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Wow, as I understand Birds was expected to make around $45m. It needs to make just $300m world-wide to earn out.

This is Margot Robbie's chance to see if she has accumulated the star power to do that even when they spend the entire movie bashing the majority viewers who are most likely to be attracted to a Harley and/or Margot movie: comic book fans, comic book movie fans, and people who find Margot Robbie hot. Most of whom are men.

They even went out of their way to make the wardrobe unattractive, for the most part, to that audience.

In the meantime movies like Bad Boys for Life and Jumanji which give their audience exactly what they want not only meet expectations but also have long legs leading the box office and have had no problem making their money back.

Even Knives Out, which suffered from the expectation of low expectations due to Rian Johnson at the helm and the political overtones didn't have problems making it's money back.

There are a few on the list which hoped to subvert expectations and failed, though their budgets weren't particularly ambitious. Then we have the one which bullied it's profits (Little Women) by having Amy Pascal's public shaming campaign run in the MSM to gin up ticket sales.

That is an option easily open to Birds of Prey however Little Women wasn't nearly as aggressive with the misandry message as Birds of Prey so I am not sure if that cripples any such efforts.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This is Margot Robbie's chance to see if she has accumulated the star power to do that even when they spend the entire movie bashing the majority viewers who are most likely to be attracted to a Harley and/or Margot movie: comic book fans, comic book movie fans, and people who find Margot Robbie hot. Most of whom are men.
When I see the reviews talking about how Birds of Prey avoids Suicide Squad's problem of the "male gaze" you knew it was just going to bomb.

That's just such an absurd statement. Suicide Squad had literally one scene where Harley puts on her costume that is pretty much done for sex appeal and nothing else. But, that's the character. Look at the comic books, they are constantly promoting Harley as a sex symbol. In the original Amanda Connor Harley Quinn run, they even had actual nudity.

But, that isn't even the biggest problem. The real problem is that Harley doesn't really work without Batman and the Joker. Those characters go together. When you are making a film with Batman-related characters you need Batman. You need the Joker.

And if you aren't going to give us those two, you have to give us someone else in costume. It needed a big-name costumed villain and probably a couple of other big name costumed characters.

Warner Bros is not doing well. I'm expecting The Batman movie to bomb as well. They just can't get it together over there.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

I.... didn't even know this was a movie that was coming out.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #6
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I thought this was a star trek movie.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:34 AM   #7
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I enjoyed 'Knives Out' and Dolittle. Both fun, but nothing that special.

"and the political overtones" - I never noticed any in Knives out?

I do like the Harley character but, as above, she's always seemed a secondary character to make up the numbers or throw in a few slapstick moments... or basically be really, really hot/provocative. Robbie is attractive, but doesn't even remotely push forward that sex appeal (That's up to the director/writers). Shame. She could still be 'woke' whilst being everything that Harley is. Sexy, strong, the vamp, while also being very intelligent.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:49 AM   #8
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I need more Harley, less metoo. Not going to see it, they are missing the point of the characters. They should have called it Harley to start with and had a joker in there somewhere. The new Harley cartoon on DC streaming is freaking great!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

No sex appeal = low sales.

Let's be honest, it would be mostly guys going to watch something like this.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I enjoyed 'Knives Out' and Dolittle. Both fun, but nothing that special.

"and the political overtones" - I never noticed any in Knives out?
There were a couple of scenes where they blatantly trash talk the young Trump-supporting kid, calling him Alt-Right and a Nazi and stuff like that. It mostly goes under the radar, but it was definitely there.

I'll add that we both really loved Knives Out. Great movie. I thought Daniel Craig's disappearing accent was kinda lame filmmaking, but everything else was just fun and the story was great.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I need more Harley, less metoo. Not going to see it, they are missing the point of the characters. They should have called it Harley to start with and had a joker in there somewhere. The new Harley cartoon on DC streaming is freaking great!
I just watched the first episode and I thought it was pretty good, though I wasn't sold on the design of Poison Ivy. (A personal favorite character of mine.)

I'm certainly going to watch the rest.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Subscriber

It's hilarious when they get mad at audiences that won't see their movies. They can't come to grips with the fact that maybe what they made just isn't worth watching. Maybe it's a bad movie. Maybe it's about a topic that nobody cares about. Maybe it's been done to death already. As for Margot Robbie, yes she's hot but so is practically everyone else in Hollywood. I just don't really see the draw. And it's not like she's some incredible artist who is being held back because men are too busy staring at her boobs. She's a passable actress who looks great in that generic Hollywood way.

As for the rest of the movies on the list, I only saw Star Wars (which was fine) and Knives Out, which my wife really enjoyed. I thought it was okay but it seemed like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be serious or ridiculous. The twists weren't really clever either. They were just sort of convoluted for the sake of trying to be clever. And that's fine. It's pretty hard to really surprise people these days and it didn't make the movie unenjoyable. I liked Daniel Craig quite a bit despite his accent struggles and the overall set design etc was great too.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
But, that isn't even the biggest problem. The real problem is that Harley doesn't really work without Batman and the Joker. Those characters go together. When you are making a film with Batman-related characters you need Batman. You need the Joker.
You don't need Batman or the Joker for a good Harley Quinn story; the character has done rather well in her own standalone books and without those two characters propping things up.

Quote:
And if you aren't going to give us those two, you have to give us someone else in costume. It needed a big-name costumed villain and probably a couple of other big name costumed characters.
Now this is something I would agree with. Some of her best stories are the ones where she shares the spotlight with the likes of Poison Ivy and some of the other Batman-related characters.

She doesn't need Batman to be successful, but she does work best as a component within that larger narrative.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-11-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag-sabot View Post
i thought this was a star trek movie.
lol ^^this^^
Old 02-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
lol ^^this^^
Old 02-11-2020, 01:19 AM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You don't need Batman or the Joker for a good Harley Quinn story; the character has done rather well in her own standalone books and without those two characters propping things up.

Now this is something I would agree with. Some of her best stories are the ones where she shares the spotlight with the likes of Poison Ivy and some of the other Batman-related characters.

She doesn't need Batman to be successful, but she does work best as a component within that larger narrative.

Warner Bros is not doing well. I'm expecting The Batman movie to bomb as well. They just can't get it together over there.
Some things that work in comics simply don't work in a full fledged movie. My wife is a huge Harley Quinn fan, and even she had zero desire to see this.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #17
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Before I say what I am about to say, I think I am more "right wing" than most of you. I voted for Trump, and will do so again this year.

Y'all are falling for the hype. I watched this movie today. Had to fiercely talk my wife into seeing it, and she's Asian, as is the director (if that even matters). She didn't want to see it at all. She thought it was gonna be a bunch of scantily-clad girls, so an apparent bonus for me.

But this movie is not what you think it is. It seems like the left wing media has sabotaged this film, more than the film did itself. Also the right wing nerds who are hella sensitive to "woke" agendas were apprehensive to this as well.

After watching this? It's just the girl version of Deadpool. It's not the best film ever, but nowhere near the scorn that some people seem to have for it. It's just a damn movie with girl protagonists. Viewed through their lens, just like Deadpool or any other film is viewed through a dude's perspective. It's not in any way a big deal.

I've seen people crying like hell that this was anti-male or something, but I am a male, Trump voting republican, and this didn't bother me in the slightest. Maybe I am just better than them, but I didn't feel upset about anything, and I was looking for and expecting it.

It's just a freaking movie about Harley Quinn. It's biggest mistake was not titling it that. It's not that fucking serious.

So some left wing "reporters" got boners thinking it was made for them. They suck, like they've always sucked. Why would we think their praise means anything? They see the world through a feminist lens, so of course a film with chicks would get them excited. I was watching these movies when they were called Underworld, Resident Evil, and The Fifth Element. Chicks being badass isn't anything new...to me.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:31 AM   #18
RAV
Evil Dead

Haven't seen this Birds of Prey. Don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane
Underworld, Resident Evil, and The Fifth Element
I liked these movies a lot. I would guess that most of the people that would react sensitive to today's offerings liked those movies. But that's because they were pretty different, aside from also showing a badass fighter chick. The characters and stories in these movies had a very different tone than what we got in recent times. It was far better written, and much more classic than it would seem. Underworld for example has Shakespearean qualities, with its own twist. The women, in all their power, had also decent relationships to men, and there were plenty cool guys in it. Everyone was given great scenes to make the best of themselves. Women were epic and graceful, and guys were given ample opportunity to prove worthy. Villains were awesome as well. And the characters were motivated by strong romantic interests, sometimes even the villains. The motives and themes of these movies were just so different from much of today, where it's more about focusing on certain negatives.

Though I am not sure about what's going on with Bird's of Prey, I would like to ask you a question, please try to honestly consider it. Think honestly about what motivated Deadpool, what drove him in his movie, how he related to others and women. Now think of what's in Birds of Prey, how's it there for the motives. Are they really the "same", just gender switch? Or is there noticable thematic differences? Besides being about joke cracking badasses? Deadpool had a lot of feeling in it actually. Besides all the slapstick... It was quite touching. Really. Think about that. Like I said, haven't watched this Birds of Prey, So don't know where it fits in that, but think about this, okay. I am really not sure the other stuff counts as "female" perspective either. Since most women I know think very different from what is portrayed in these movies. It's another perspective for sure... from god knows who.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #19
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Haven't seen this Birds of Prey. Don't know.

I liked these movies a lot. I would guess that most of the people that would react sensitive to today's offerings liked those movies. But that's because they were pretty different, aside from also showing a badass fighter chick. The characters and stories in these movies had a very different tone than what we got in recent times. It was far better written, and much more classic than it would seem. Underworld for example has Shakespearean qualities, with its own twist. The women, in all their power, had also decent relationships to men, and there were plenty cool guys in it. Everyone was given great scenes to make the best of themselves. Women were epic and graceful, and guys were given ample opportunity to prove worthy. Villains were awesome as well. And the characters were motivated by strong romantic interests, sometimes even the villains. The motives and themes of these movies were just so different from much of today, where it's more about focusing on certain negatives.

Though I am not sure about what's going on with Bird's of Prey, I would like to ask you a question, please try to honestly consider it. Think honestly about what motivated Deadpool, what drove him in his movie, how he related to others and women. Now think of what's in Birds of Prey, how's it there for the motives. Are they really the "same", just gender switch? Or is there noticable thematic differences? Besides being about joke cracking badasses? Deadpool had a lot of feeling in it actually. Besides all the slapstick... It was quite touching. Really. Think about that. Like I said, haven't watched this Birds of Prey, So don't know where it fits in that, but think about this, okay. I am really not sure the other stuff counts as "female" perspective either. Since most women I know think very different from what is portrayed in these movies. It's another perspective for sure... from god knows who.
You've caught me right before passing out, so forgive me if I am not 100% eloquent.

You asked me to compare Deadpool with this one. I will now think.

Deadpool was much more relatable, for me. I would even say for my wife. It is a human instinct to want to avenge being wronged. If it were me I would rip the planet apart if it meant saving her. So Birds of Prey does not have that.

But it also has a human instinct that I can relate to. Even if I have not felt it. It is about Harley Quinn being suddenly targeted because she no longer is dating the Joker. She is a weirdo, but from my knowledge of comics and media, she is a psychologist and gymnast. So that makes it work, in regards to her character. It is not the same as Deadpool in plot, but it is similar in feel. The reason I brought the comparison up is not even from me. When driving home from the theater, I asked my wife what she thought of it, and she thought Margo Robbie was too thick to be a martial arts chick, but also thought that it was "just like Deadpool."

She said that she liked more serious comic book films that have deep stories like Man of Steel, and that this was just more silly like Deadpool. That really sunk in for me. Because it is true. I watched this one and was irritated at a couple parts (I hate movies with people singing for some reason). But overall this movie was just another Deadpool. I can see it through to the initial pitch meeting with WB. "Deadpool made a ton of money. Lets make one of those but with chicks."

But I find it dumb and annoying when I see endless videos and tweets where people celebrate that this isn't doing well, and left wingers saying it's great. None of them are smart, nor influencing me. It's very obvious that they have agendas, and I hate that shit. I have no problem being a "Rebublican/Conservative" and not falling for all the bullshit from both sides.

At least I can watch it and give an honest review, devoid of political bullshit.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
But this movie is not what you think it is. It seems like the left wing media has sabotaged this film, more than the film did itself. Also the right wing nerds who are hella sensitive to "woke" agendas were apprehensive to this as well.
Well as you said, the left (including some of the people who made the movie) sabotaged this movie then because they sure promoted it as if it was a big shot across the bow of the HMS Patriarchy. That's not what made me not want to see it though. What made me not want to see it is that it looks dumb. It doesn't look fun, smart, entertaining, or whatever it takes for me to enjoy a movie. And I don't have particularly high standards. I like just going to the theater and watching anything that will entertain me for a couple of hours. But this movie looked bad to me. And if it was a female Deadpool then I'm glad I stayed home because the male Deadpool was bad enough.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart